Not GOOD: Invulnerability of freshly spawned and revived players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gortha, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Gortha

The following announced change to the game

“Short period of time will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.”

Is not a good Idea!

This is making sunderers way too strong.... They´ve big guns....
    It´s taking away the deserved advantage Defenders have, when they succesfully discovered the enemy AMS/Spawn and try to kill it.
    Also revives in bases and on the field are succesful possible at situations and positions were it´s just rediculous.

There are also other points which speak against this - just think about it.
    • Up x 12
  2. HerpTheDerp

I don't like this for two reasons:

1. It will make Combat Medics even more brainless ***** who run everywhere rezzing people in middle of a firefight or on top of a grenade.
    2. In the case of Sunnies, it is a band-aid fix to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, because spawning should put you INSIDE THE VEHICLE YOU'RE SPAWNING ON.
    • Up x 4
  3. Zitroxious

i think it wont be that long, as it is right now you can kill someone who is being revived before he can actually do something, which is kinda lame, if they give him 2 secs of no damage, it would be more fair i think
    • Up x 5
  4. Hydragarium

I completely agree - You've got a few enemies on the ground, an enemy medic appears and revives one of them - the revived guy takes out you and your friends while being invulnerable.

OR they act as live bullet walls for the medic and everyone else while they are invulnerable - That'll be a lot of fun in big stalemates... *cough*

Baseline - If you choose to accept a revive from a medic it is your responsibility entirely. You can see where you died, while dead - you're not putting your life in the medic's hands.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gortha

No, you can´t. Damage done to the player / model when somewone spawned at a Sundy is counted when he starts moving.
    At the moment guys with fast or slow PCs can only be killed when they started moving.

I tested this very often, when i attacked sunderers.
    Me myself having a very fast PCs with an fast SSD, i spawn almost instantly and can move, sometimes beeing shot by camping guys,
    but hey, they have the advantage, it´s War.
  6. Gortha

Regarding Point #1

You are absolutely right.
    It is also highly exploitable, cuz it will give revived players the ability to break enemy Lines of Defense, just running in their back
    - this will **** up Defense and Defenders even more!!
  7. UberBonisseur

A "50% resistance to explosives" shield upon exiting spawn rooms, would have been enough; but invulnerability ?
    And on REVIVES ?

This is overkill
    • Up x 2
  8. Sheherazade

I think you guys seem to think that the invulnerability will last you guys.

It will only last until you take any action whatsoever and even if you do nothing it will only last a few seconds.

As soon as you use any tool or weapon it stops working. This should be obvious to you.

This is just so people (like I once did) dont position themselves behind a sunderer for example and shoot everyone that respawns before they can actually react or they get noobtubed the moment they pop in.

Everyone should get a chance...and this is what they get.
    • Up x 6
  9. HerpTheDerp

Yep. Equip an automatic shotty, get killed, get rezzed, use your invulnerability to run towards the enemy line, unload.

I also like the human shield idea. Get rezzed and jump in front of tank shells to protect your Sunderer.
    • Up x 1
  10. Razzyman

I believe the point of the change is to stop spawn camping, as game actions break the temporary condition. I.E. getting in a sundy ti fire the gun breaks it, or shooting at someone near your sundy will break it. From the spawn room changes that are there, the (what looks like) heavy nerf to XP from newly revived players, and inclusion of tunnels in some bases from the spawn point to the CP's, I would say they're trying to make defending bases more viable and reduce hardcore spawn room camping. I think that theory is supported by the change to the notification system about bonus XP for things like defense and such.

I think these changes are good, they appear to adress issues that were talked about a lot on the forums. Will there be some concerns and adjustments needed, there usually is. However I believe a number of major gameplay issues are being adressed.here and I'm excited that.the Developers are taking steps to adress player concern, I feel that it is a good sign.
  11. FightingFirst

I think it was a really bad idea. They did it in Bad Company 2 for a while but reverted the change after people complained. It just creates medic trains and cheap deaths where the guy runs out of ammo shooting the invulnerable enemy and then killed by him also. I personally would really like if this was not implemented as in my gaming experience it doesnt work very well.
    FF
  12. Gortha

No Man! Again, because of this:

It is also highly exploitable, cuz it will give revived players the ability to break enemy Lines of Defense, just running in their back
    - this will **** up Defense and Defenders even more!!

You see?
  13. Spookydodger

I believe that this change is to address the feeling of helplessness one feels when they die before they have "spawned" on their screen, leading to a bug where you stand there, unable to move or do anything and then you die for unknown reasons.
  14. Gortha

Right.

And to take this to the extreme, let half a squad with 200ms-Shotty run towards a defense, die in front of it, some medic throws a revive grenade. 6 God Mode Instagib-Shotgunners run through Line of Defense/Bottle-Neck and F-U-C-K up the whole defense.
  15. Spookydodger

Unless you make it that moving more than 1 foot or turning breaks invulnerability. The criteria for what breaks it are still undisclosed and being that they want to prevent people from dying before they load fully, they probably would break invulnerability as soon as the player started doing anything.
  16. Sheherazade

What exactly makes you think SOE will make the invulnerability last long enough for anyone to run far. You don't honestly think that it will last 10 or more seconds do you?

It will probably be 1-5 seconds long of which you need 1-2 (depending on how braindead you are) to align and find the position you want to go to...not to mention in most cases you wont have your Sunderer inside the enemy base but rather further away from it...in the rare cases it is inside your base/inside your main building you ****** up on defense anyways.

I still don't see a problem.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of it...but I can understand their decision and as long as it doesn't last longer than 5 seconds max/until you take action it is totally fine.
  17. HerpTheDerp

Which, again, wouldn't even happen IF YOU SPAWNED INSIDE THE SUNDERER.

No more room in Sunderer? You can't spawn.
    Locked Sunderer? You can't spawn.

Why would they even make it so you spawn next to a Sunderer is beyond me.
    • Up x 1
  18. Spookydodger

They could add a timer between times you can be raised. Can only be raised once every 30-60 seconds.

Edit: Sorry, that didn't really address your post, since they would only have to die once.

I suppose they could change it that being within a certain distance of an enemy means you can't be raised, or that you aren't invulnerable.

In terms of defense, the defensive units could seemingly do this to break an offensive front, too.
  19. Zitroxious

i do it all the time, i shoot a guy, a medic comes over revives him and i kill him again before he can even move again, just one or two seconds would make a difference, at sundies you do get when they spawn you hit them but they dont die, but reviving is botched in that case
  20. Spookydodger

Because this functionality has to also apply to medic-raised people.

Why code something 2 different ways when you can code it once for both, I suppose.