KSR-35, Phantom, Impetus -VS- SOAS-20, Nyx, Shadow

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Varamis, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Varamis

KSR-35, Phantom, Impetus -VS- SOAS-20, Nyx, Shadow

Above are the close range Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle and Scout Rifle choices for each faction.

I'm really curious what the big differences between these two choices are.

I'm looking to play my Infiltrator as a strong mid range combatant likely using a x2 or x3.4 scope with these weapons to but able to 3-4 shot enemies at mid range then stealth and move on.

I have trialed these weapons, but with the x1 Iron Sight I am not really able to perform with them very well, but can see the hard hitting accuracy of these weapons as appealing.

Any insight on one versus the other would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Blackhand

Im TR and have used the SAOS and KSR quite a bit as of late so heres my two cents. The fully auto is about 1v1 empty your clip at a guys head type of fights. I find myself running around like a parkour ninja with it equipped. Its about position and speed. Dont even attempt to engage more than one person at a time however because the damge and low clip capacity force you to mak every bullet count.Fun gun nonetheless.

The semi auto sniper is my personal fav. Less recoil than the semi auto scouts, more damage,udsually taking 2-3 shots to kill. I find it has the most versatility being effective at cqc and medium ranged combat. I use the ksr-35 with suppresor ,forward grip and x2 reflex. I love it.
  3. Blackhand

Also the SAOS is fully auto. That should be the hsr-1. So, scout rifles seem to have less damge,high recoil than the sniper semi auto but you can attach a laser sight to the scouts for betyer hipfire. I still prefer the snipers.
  4. Varamis

Thanks guys, looks like the semi auto close range sniper is better then. That scope do you guys use?
  5. Blackhand

I use the x2 reflex, it still gives me enough zoom to snipe a bit without the bulk of the x4.
  6. JoeHigh000

does anybody know if the semi auto snipers with low powered scopes 3.5 or higher have sway ?
  7. Kich

All snipers have sway. Scout rifles don't have sway.
  8. Xiphos

9. Varamis

I'm curious if anyone has a Video of them using the Semi Auto Snipers KSR-35, Phantom, Impetus. I'm also curious if someone can link me a difference between the two different x4 scopes. Their names for the NC Impetus are Trueshot (4x) and LX Mark IV (4x).
  10. Varamis

11. BrB Stove Exploded

This is good info, but its lacking in what the real differences really are. There are more to weapons than those stats listed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=12&f=true&colid0=17&filterstr0=SCOUT RIFLE, AUTO&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Using that Spread sheet you can see exactly where the REAL differences are.

The most notable is the bloom while ADS. The Semi Auto SNIPER rifles(impetus ect..) have a Cone of Fire bloom of 1 while Aiming down sight and hip firing.

The Semi Auto SCOUT rifles have a much much lower bloom. 1 is a lot. In fact its some of the most. So the Scout rifles are a tad bit more accurate at medium-short range.

The scout rifles have More Rate of fire, but also more bullet drop. Which means their velocity is less(500).

To answer your final question:

What gun to use for medium range, and why you are having trouble. Firstly its the scopes fault. On 90% of the Infiltrators short range scopes the DOT/CROSSHAIR will fade out when you invis, making headshots really hard to line up while invis, and most of the time you will find yourself uninivs and immediately readjusting the scope. This is a serious pain in the *** and WILL get you killed.

The remedy for this is of course to use a x6 scope or better, but that limits your options to the sniper rifles.

The scout rifles have 1 major difference i did not list. They can use the x1 NV scope. The crosshairs DO NOT fade out when you invis and it lights up targets like x-mas trees making lining up for headshots while invis no problem.

Semi-Auto scout rifle. NV scope. Silencer. Laser dot.

Thats all you need.

Silencer bullet drop fits the Range of the NV scope perfectly. you will not notice the bullet drop with the scope on because you cant see far enough for it to matter(so now you are somewhat silent and wont show on the minimap). You do NOT want to shoot this rifle past this range anyways, even with a x6 scope. This gun is not for long ranges.

The Laser dot makes it so you can actually hip fire(and win) in extreme CQC situations. With out the dot 1/3 shots will miss(it takes 3 shots to kill). So the Time to kill on this weapon drastically increases when hip firing.

You do not need the "Foregrip" attachment on the Semi-Auto Scout Rifles.

1. There is no horizontal recoil.

2. Foregrips do not work on Semi-auto weapons. Anyone who says different doesnt understand game mechanics.
  12. Varamis

I like the idea of the Scout Rifles, especially since they allow you more diversity in Optics than the Semi Auto Snipers when at medium range. I think my big thing about the Semi-Auto Scouts that I dislike, which outweighs their ability to still be used from the hip at close range, is that they are more countered by nanoweave armor with their lower damage than their Sniper rifle counterparts.
  13. Zak Preston

Hello!

I'm extremely satisfied with bolt-action rifle's mechanics and sniping in general in PS2, but all other Infiltrator's weapons just sadden me greatly:
    1. Nyx: this rifle is unsuitable for any long/mid-range sniping at all. I use 6x, 4x and 2x scopes, compensator and laser pointer. The recoil is still horrible, which limits my rate of fire to the rate of semi-auto sniper rifles. In CQB with 2x I can fight on par with Light Assaults, Medics and Engineers, but only if I open first. Still the damage and rate of fire are insatisfacting.
    2. Artemis: I find this rifle with 2x scope, laser dot and silencer extremely powerful, but 20x magazine makes impossible to win any 1v2 gunfight.
    3. Spectre: I can't uderstand this rifle at all. I seems to have almost the same vertical recoil as Nyx plus some floating of crosshair wlile aiming, only 6x-12x scopes, much lower damage then Bolt-action rifles, much higher rate of fire, but I can't land 3 shots in a row in 1-2 seconds because of huge recoil. It's long distance use is under huge question. In CQB It's useles.
    4. Shadow: Same as Spectre, but without any 6x+ scopes, amost the same as Nyx but without general upgrades. I don't understand it at all.

What is the point of any semi-auto scout/sniper rifles? They have an awful recoil, low rate of precisive fire, low damage, low bullet speed and so on! Any of those rifles are vastly inferior to real-world counterparts (like SVD, M14 compared to semi\full-auto assault rifles and bolt-action sniper rifles).
    The sad thing is that Infiltrators can't fulfill the duties of DMR (designated marksman), they are vulnerable to any aware and averagely skilled player in CQB and sniping is the only thing we shine in.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English =)
  14. Varamis

I'm pretty decided that I'll be wielding one of these weapons while using a x3.4 or x4 optics.

Does anyone use the Impetus and actually like it? Can anyone show me a spreadsheet or a video showing me that the 400 damage per bullet on the Impetus actually reduces how many bullets it takes to kill a target compared to the Shadow's 334 damage per bullet?
  15. Xiphos

No video needed.

HP without nanoweave = 1000
    With Nanoweave = 1125

Bullet damage also slowly degrades after 10m.

The Impetus will require less hits after a certain range and/or against targets with Nanoweave. I can't tell you the exact range though.
    • Up x 1
  16. Adamar09

A note on scopes, since you've been asking. The two different 3.4x - HOLO is the red dot one, which tends to get in the way of what you're looking at. If I recall it also blocks your peripheral vision (but it's been a while since I've used it, so not certain.) The non holo (chevron sights) is much more practical. It also doesn't block your screen when you scope, which is handy.
    • Up x 1
  17. Caterpiller

Used Shadow and Stalker.
    Stalker is a crazy laser-accuracy recoiless f*cker. - A very fun weapon.
    Shadow, well - it's quite strong but without the compansator it has a punch that sometimes makes it hard to kill. - Don't use it for CQC.
  18. Varamis

I've used the Stalker for my CQC load-out and enjoy it, although it does seem like you're shooting spit wads at the enemies if they actually manage to fire back at you, especially heavies. Even if you get the drop on a good heavy, they can usually turn and ruin your day with their LMG's.

I'm fairly certain the compensator does absolutely nothing to semi-automatic weapons.