HE cannons need to go.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jourmand1r, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Linedan

This. I mostly play infantry but I like spawning Lightnings sometimes. Infantry are about the only thing a C75 Viper *can* kill without expending a hell of a lot of rounds. It's poor against armor and has the ballistics of a slingshot, but what it is good at is area suppression at medium range, making you keep your head down behind cover so my infantry can get up there and kill you, or rattling your cage when you're camping a point to make it harder for you to defend from allied infantry storming in. I fix you, they finish you. (Also, killing turrets, kind of.) And a Lightning is very squishy compared to any other vehicle short of a Flash. I may pop an infantry or two, but they usually get me in the end unless I've got cover I can get back to and friendly infantry around to handle heavies that get too close, and/or friendly air to keep the Mosquitos swatted. It's that whole combined arms thang, y'know?

Also, don't think the HE spam is going away. Look at Sony's "vehicle bundle" for this week on the Station Shop. It includes one new weapon for every vehicle in the game. Those include the 100mm HE for the Lightning, the 150mm HE for the Vanguard, and the Bulldog HE grenade launcher for the Sunderer. Oh, and rocket pods for the ESF, for the three people that haven't bought them or certed them yet (like me, because I can't fly worth a crap).
  2. Funguy

high explosive anti-tank - are meant to be used as anti-personal? why use real life terminology when its clealry not what its' purpose is......
  3. bPostal

I really bought that pack because I haven't unlocked/certed into **** for my vehicles besides AMS...I was kinda disappointed when they were all HE cannons. Upgrading the main gun on the lib (if I ever decide to use it) and I guess rocket pods (if I ever learn how to use em, easy though they may be) was worth it though. I guess
  4. Gavyne

Spoken like a true Magrider operator. Hey a lil hint, the other 2 factions can not side strafe while still having the gun pointed at someone. Don't get me started with Magriders that can strafe and speed off when in trouble.

VS can park 4 Magriders side by side, and all 4 can strafe to avoid shots without bumping into each other. While you park 4 Vanguards side by side, there's no way they can strafe even if they are shooting from the side, Because they'd bump into each other and just make themselves even easier to get blown up.
  5. Flarestar

Actually, I primarily play NC these days. It's called turn your tank sideways. Yes, you're exposing your side armor. No, it doesn't matter if they can't hit you.
  6. Rodinvac

HE are meant for anti-infantry, HEAT are the general-purposes munition and AP are meant against only vehicles.
    And believe it or not, but I'm not talking about in the game.
  7. Gavyne

Until someone gets smart and not shoot you straight on from where you are facing. But I do understand, I'm with you, most of the people ingame would rather complain about something than actually doing something about it. Not everybody knows to sneak around the corner to shoot at a tank, they try to do it head on and those are easy to dodge.
  8. Isila

HE wouldn't be so bad if there were more incentives to roll out with dedicated Anti-Vehicle setups and hunt down other vehicles. Why would anyone want to go through all the risk of vehicle-to-vehicle combat when they can sit WAY outside of a base in relative safety with an HE cannon, zoom optics and brightskins-style thermal/IRNV and just farm mass amounts of infantry? The XP rewards for killing other tanks, factoring in the increased risk involved, simply don't make it worth it to any rational player.

It doesn't help, of course, that we have so little control over where we can spawn. Back in PS1 when we could bind to a base, we could strategically set a spawn point to let us better flank enemy movements and break out of a bad spawn situation.
  9. Linedan

The one disadvantage to the 100mm HE on the Lightning is that it's only 27 rounds uncerted and it's a one-round-and-reload gun (like a true tank gun, as opposed to the 75's six-round magazine, firing more like a Bofors 40mm). Unless the 100mm HE round hits like Thor's own hammer, a stock Lightning with the 75 can probably be more effective doing area suppression than the upgraded gun. Now the 100mm AP or maybe the HEAT, that's what I really want...but what do you think the chances of them putting something that useful on sale are? :)

I understand the folks talking about HE farming of infantry and that's not where I'm coming from, btw. Maybe I'm the exception instead of the rule, but if I roll up on an enemy base, I want to cap the thing and move on, not so much sit there and fall asleep farming infantry. So I use whatever I've got at my disposal as a means to that end (taking the base), and if that means raining 75mm exploding love notes through a doorway while somebody grabs the point, so be it. Racking up a killstreak is nice and XP/certs are always welcome, but I want to get that base and my k/d or XP come secondary to that. They call that "playing the objective" in the CoD/BF3 world, right? :) Guess I'm weird that way.
  10. Gramps

IMO, join an outfit if you don't like tanks.

11. baka

Try http://www.getpaint.net/
    Probably would still take 5 hours, but with a lot more options!
  12. Gavyne

OMG nerf infantry & rockets! lol that video's hilarious, love the bleeps.
  13. Ronin Oni

the HE is more effective IMO for killing infantry...

the 75mm is still totally viable and actually better vs tanks however.
  14. Cl1mh4224rd

Hah. I don't doubt TE's effectiveness, but I'm surprised so many people consider getting shouted at and told to "shut up" by Buzz a fun gaming experience.
  15. Hodo

I have played CoD, BF, R6 and ArmA1-2. Only 2 of those had tanks in them. And even those HE wasnt as powerful as they are in other games. You want to complain about HE, play ArmA2. Or if you really want to complain about tanks play WWIIOL back in 2002. After most of the network bugs were worked out, and a pair of Char 1 Bis can lock down an entire town, and there is nothing about it.
  16. Hodo

This is an issue that I agree should be fixed. Because weapons that say they are only good against infantry are doing WAY to much damage to armored or hard targets.
  17. Kenny007

Antipersonnel weapons force personnel to flee. Antipersonnel weapons overwhelmingly strong at their core role. Therefore, nerf.

Yikes.

I do begrudgingly agree though that they probably do a bit too much damage against armor. Not enough to win a fight against an equal opponent better equipped, but enough to probably worry them during the fight. That OP argument I can get behind; the 'Infantry can't handle HE' nonsense is just that, nonsense.
  18. Alesteex

Whiners need to go ....
  19. Vortok

Flak Armor is a viable defense now. If you actually put certs into it you won't die to one HE round. If you're still there by the time he reloads and shoots again.... learn from your mistakes? Now you know he's in the area. Do something about it. Most of the HE tanks are gonna tunnel vision where infantry are. Flank and blow him up with mines/C4/Rockets (I imagine Flak Armor + Resist shield is crazy effective).

HE does take a few more rounds to kill a tank than HEAT (and travels slower), but it's -so- effective against infantry that it could probably stand to be weakened further against armor. Not the highest priority change, though.
    • Up x 1
  20. Jourmand1r

They should. This games engine is ****.