Incentive to play Infantry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pant, Dec 13, 2012.

1. hostilechild

The only thing i would like to see is making it harder for ESF/LIB/Tanks to fire into the inside of buildings and through walls. So many cap points are just spamfest for vehicles with current game mechanics of holding it. Roofs, between buildings fine. The vast majority of bases can be locked down before any infantry arrive to contest them unless you have 60 ESF/LIB/Tanks to fight back. Which at outpost is almost never the case. Vehicles seem to always look for the "easy" fight, path of least resistance. Soon as more vehicles arrive others bug out, oh no my K/D will go down if i fight other vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  2. vampwood

Blame the map design for most of these issues.
  3. TomaHawk

I feel the point, here. I don't think I am bad at Eng/HA roles, but prefer Armor (upgraded Prowler to be exact) simply because I love armor on armor battles AND because I know I will score more kills in the same vs rolling infantry. Since I will lose 9/10 fights when facing an enemy MAX unit and since any infantry that sits for more than 2 seconds is fodder for 1-shot snipers, it's just a better solution all around for me to roll around in metal and popping or running over infantry. Besides, I am able to escape the vehicle before it blows most times, THEN I can roll on foot as best I can. That kind of play improves K/D ratio, no doubt about that.

That said, it is still fun in base warfare as HA or Engy, so I do spend time there. But if it weren't for timers and resource counters, I believe the vehicle farms would be far greater.

Oh, and I still believe the biggest reason SOE won't allow emptying certs spent on useless gear to be re-spent on stuff that isn't broken or weak is merely a $$$ play. I am all for SOE making money (yes, I've bought a decent slice of SC myself), but not being able to back out certs to be spent on other things just isn't cool. The current model forces players to have to spend cash on mistakes. I like the "compromise" feature "try it before you buy it" but the timer is insufficient to get a feel for it, imo. We should be able to back out certs and reinvest them where we want. It's like playing any other MMO and putting points into talents but not EVER being allowed to back them out to try another line. That would INFURIATE players to say the least.
    • Up x 2
  4. Radian12

Defend amp station tank gen . And you have a masive infantry batle. Amp stations are proof that infantry only can the determing factor . There are 3 points to reall defend to hold tanks out just plain as that and it far superior to the biolab when it´s about infantry batles. I don´t like biolabs. I preder the amp station playground a lot more .

And it can be done, it is not imposible feat , just keep the gens up .
  5. SolLeks

Nice, what server you on?

I understand what you are saying about how vehicles can kill many infantry at once, but why would you pull a tank if it would be one shotted by a medic? you can hit them 2 times in the rear to kill them with HA, plant C4 on them, use base turrets, mines, or use max AV. A good mix of these things will destroy any tank column. would you rather tanks die in 2 shots to the front?

spread out and take cover, you won't have to worry about tanks at all.

I was in one bio lab fight yesterday. It started with my outfit capping the surrounding foothold bases and then taking all of the points inside with no resistance, then after 5 mins, 100s of TR infantry started to pour out of the spawn rooms. It was a good fight and lasted a good 45 mins. IMO, with proper support, Infantry are the most deadly thing in this game, and you also tend to get more certs / min as a foot soldier than you would in a tank / aircraft. Vehicles only shine when large groups of unsupported infantry show up.
  6. ADFXOzymandias

But... he responded with a well thought out argument. I'm confused...

I think people overplay the importance of vehicles. Obviously one on one tank versus heavy assault, there's a clear winner. But let's try three heavy assault versus one tank. The tank is toast if one of them flanks it. Infantry requires a more tactical approach, though I can understand how and why people can get overwhelmed.

The biggest problem I've seen is that people will run straight out onto the battlefield, fire off a rocket, die, and then complain that they keep dying. It's insanity by definition. Instead, why not change tactics? Spawn at a base behind the enemy if possible, come in from behind and score a crit on the backside of a tank. Zerg rushing attackers from a defensive position doesn't work, because there isn't enough time for the snowball effect to... well, take effect. The reason Zerg rushes work so well is because the attackers have 500-1000 meters of battlefield to snowball into a massive force. There's enough time and battlefield for people to spawn and join the horde.
  7. Tenr0u

I'd be interested to see how popular a infantry only continent would be. Allow only sundies, flashes, and galaxies. Make it very urban style combat with multi level buildings. The bio lab would take the place of the tech plant for its health regen properties. I know I'd love a play ground like that.
  8. Baleur

Have to spend money to be competitive? Kidding me?
    The stock weapons are great. Even the stock ESF weapon is great, people think it's **** because they never bother learning how to use it properly, or aim properly. The stock tank weapons are great, the stock lmgs are great, the stock carbines are great.
    I dont know what you are talking about?

I'm having a great time as infantry when i get sick of my magrider.
    Getting lots of kills, playing somewhat tactically, repairing or healing or hacking. It's great fun to play as infantry.

Heck it's been the opposite for me. I've spent money to get WORSE weapons than the stock.
  9. TheEvilBlight

PS1 allowed almost every infantryman to carry a Deci if they chose to do so.

If given an option to spend infantry supplies on a single-use, non-splash, AT missile for non-HAs, I think people would buy it. It would be bad business for MAXes though (which is why they got poor use if they weren't NC ScatMAX in PS1).
  10. siiix

thats the point of vehicles , they supposed to be like that

BUT you cant EVER just play vehicles in this game as eventually you run out of credits

so to answer your question the incentive is that you have no choice but play infantry most of the time
  11. notyourbuddy

There are still a few maps left SOE hasn't got around to neutering yet. The Crown, Amp stations, Bio Labs, The Stronghold, Vanu Archives, and probably a few others that still require a moderately sized infantry force to attack (while the tank zerg is relegated to more of a support role.)

Not surprisingly all these bases are either placed up on a hill or are surrounded by walls to give the defenders some kind of tactical advantage against swarms of vehicles. God forbid any of the level designers realize that and stop making all these map's that have the spawn room and control points easily accessible by these massive tank zergs. By allowing tanks to waltz right up to the defender's lone spawn room, lock down the base, and capture it without having much if any infantry supporting them is just discouraging anyone from defending and encouraging more people to stop playing infantry and spawn tanks of their own.
  12. DeadlyShoe

Most tech plants and all amp stations are surrounded or guarded by walls and shield generators. Many minor bases have defense bastions, chokepoints, and in many cases vehicle shields.

The principle problem of defense is people never staff the defenses. :p
    • Up x 1
  13. Pant

I can fly a Scythe all day without running out of resources. And i am by no means a great pilot. If I'd ever run out of Air resources i'd just pull a HE lightning or a Magrider. The timer and the resources is a really **** way of balancing vehicles.
  14. Mupod

is this a joke post? There are tons of places where you can't reasonably bring tanks and infantry is necessary. Yeah I'm sure you can wedge a lightning into all kinds of weird places but how the heck is that even an advantage? If you can't move you just get killed by 2 rockets from infantry that can move around freely between buildings. Maybe if every battle took place on the open fields of Esamir you'd have a case.

really, sounds like just another case of waaahhh something other than a foot soldier killed me in this combined arms game. Depending on the situation I often get much more xp as my HA than my scythe/magrider who are restricted by antiair or terrain. Who cares if you die a bit more?
  15. NewSith

The situation got slightly (but only slightly better) after tech plant benefit was represented, but the problem still remains because of NO indoor oriented content. Even Biolabs are infantry-only outdoor combat simulator.
  16. Pant

Oh, I must have missed them can you give me some examples?
  17. MarlboroMan-E

Bring your tank into the area near my capture point, let's see how long you last. I can't count how many vehicles I c4 in a play session, hell, yesterday I actually C4ed some clown in a Reaver that had landed by the point. C4ed a lightning that was camping a spawn, too, somehow he saw me with his noob HE turret, killed me, and set off my C4.

There's a time and place for vehicles, and a time and place for infantry. This thread is childish and OP clearly doesn't understand the game.
  18. NewSith

That's not the way to go for an argument.

But what OP is saying is that there's no incentive to play infantry all the time, while it is like that for tanks and planes.

Elabrating that:
    You can always play a fighter and fight fighters.
    You can always play a tank and tank tanks.
    You cannot always play infantry, because it is too dynamic and unstable all the time.

Stability in the situation that's what infantry needs. Stability as in not being camped inside outpost spawnboxes, getting molested by rocketpods outdoors and stuff.

PS1 was better in that regard, but for starters it had very high Vehs vs Infantry TTk, and I stand opposed to that, I like the way it works now.
  19. Pant

I am sorry but that coming from a LA made me lol.
  20. JimRussle

Why does a tank have to enter an area to effectively carpet bomb it?