High ping players need to be kicked off the servers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HydroBIG BANG, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Talizzar

Some people are dropping packets on purpose it is a well known exploit.
  2. Yinro

Can someone tell me how to show ping in game? alt+f doesnt work it shows FPS, thanks.
  3. Jestunhi

Will you be financing these servers?

Servers cost money to setup and to run. additional servers are something which should be done if it will be profitable, otherwise the whole game suffers regardless of what server you are on.
  4. Rothnang

I actually think some people do this crap intentionally. I fly a lot and I am getting kind of sick of fighters that warp all over the place the second you start trying to target them with missiles.
  5. powerz

THIS

I've come across an increasing amount of players who while I'm watching them all seem to be running around and moving just fine, no latency issues noticeable......but the second i start attacking or firing on them they go all over the place and warp around like mad........they are using a netlimiter and mapping it to a button press so the second they are underattack they turn on their limiter that cause data packet loss. It used to happen in PS1 aswell and they were never able to stop it.......it's just another way to cheat, plain and simple.

that's the net limiter exploit.
  6. Ganelon

The people using the limiter exploit must be extremely bad players, then. Or they're doing it so that I have to waste more bullets to kill them.
  7. Aerius

Nocturnal Brit here. I play on Matherson with a bunch of American/Canadian friends on TS and according to them I don't warp. Same goes for BF3, I usually get lower ping to EC servers than one of the WC guys on TS.
  8. Mukist

How about region locking the game to countries that have servers and putting a ping restriction in on top of that. The problem you start having with only region locking is people will get around that by using proxies... you fix that by putting in a ping restriction on top of the region lock. Obviously if someone is in a region with a server and there ping is still crap then they need to either fix it or not play. You are ruining the game experience for thousands of other players who pay for a decent internet connection. Also for god sakes SOE put in a ping indicator... you already have an indicator for FPS.

EDIT: Furthermore the lagswitchers can also be prevented from playing the game with a ping restricition. If you lag switch your ping is going to shoot up... when that happens they get kicked from the server. Problem solved.
  9. Wellknown

i dont exploit ?
  10. TeknoBug

It's mostly the Asians playing on NA and EU servers, I saw lots of it last night myself- watched a friendly quad go by and he was warping back and forth and last week I was trying to shoot down an aircraft with dual bursters but couldn't because he would warp back 200ft and forward 500ft every 2 seconds.
  11. TeknoBug

I dunno about low, I don't see it often on Matherson except for a bit of it last night but I started out on Connery when the game released a month ago and there was LOTS of warping on that server which is part of why I quit playing on that server. Connery is west coast, which is where I am and Matherson is on east coast and I get better conneciton and performance on Matherson.
  12. Joe Doe

Many warping issues are simply caused by a pretty poor network code optimizations for this game, not always because the player might be using a satellite broadband connection or something... Also, some cheating functions can make your character appear "warping" all over the places, even with perfect connection quality ;-)
  13. Kyorisu

0-50 = Fantastic
    50-100 = Great
    100-150 = eh
    150-200 = not good
    200+ = get out

Pretty much everyone in Central and Eastern Australia would be getting sub 100ms latency EASILY!

Remember kids when you use cheap ISPs you get cheap routing and that leads to problems.
  14. QuantumGuard

OP. The problem with your "solution" is that those players are not responsible for it mostly. I am in EU and get 160-230 ping to EU servers during prime time (when the load on servers is heaviest). During night? 60. You know the funny part? USA server 100-120 ping even at prime time. So don't shift the responsibility to players. First, fix the goddamn servers.
  15. Argento81

Is there no way for the server to detect when the client's data is being throttled? The sensitivity for a disconnect should be ramped up significantly.
  16. GeneralMilz

What a bunch of nonsense! Everyone knows the internet is just a series of tubes that was created by Al Gore!
  17. D0n

Lol, if you only knew...
  18. TeknoBug

I'd say 500+ would be where the problem starts, I've been in situations where my ping would be around 200-250 before and still be able to play (in other games including first Planetside), as far as I know this game doesn't have lag compensation- lag compensation is what gives high pingers an advantage which is present in many modern games.

A game with lag compensation makes your 20-50 ping moot while the guy with 150-300 ping pwns faces, which doesn't happen in PS2, easy way to tell is staying behind a wall and stepping out and having the enemey shoot at you and you step back, if you're still taking shots 2 seconds after you step back behind the wall then there's lag compensation, I think it's bull****.
  19. FA_Q2

The solution here is not to 'kick' the players or ban them. It is to stop allowing the client to determine the end player location after a packet loss. IOW, if you drop packets your character should stay in the same place (completely vulnerable as well) and when your packets start arriving properly again the client updates position to what the server states not the other way around.

I am not a dev so this might not be possible but I don't see why. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people here can shoot me down :D but this is how I have seen this dealt with before. It completely removes the ability to use a limiter to exploit. Instead, those players become fodder. It stops everyone around you from getting frustrated when your connection is terrible. It might frustrate you as well BUT, leys be honest, it's going to do that anyway and it is better to frustrate the one person with the bad connection rather than EVERYONE around them.

Seriously, there was a flying prowler today on connery. This has got to stop.
  20. FA_Q2

Well, ya. The US servers are further away so they are going to have a higher ping....

What did you expect?