Infantry render distance has been severely reduced since beta.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Madmanz, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Ryloxx

Every single game that has tried open world battles with hundreds or claiming "thousands" of players at one location has failed for one reason or another.

Just to name a few, PS1 failed, DarkFall failed, WW2 Online failed. I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoyed the concept like I did , but deep down you know they were all fatally flawed from the start. These types of games also are most fun when there are thousands of players, which they lacked very shorty after release.

I love all of those games as well, sadly.
  2. Exidius

Had this problem since I got into BETA, honestly it improved but still if there is even a bunch of ppl around you, you can't see **** in the distance it is the WORST kind of feeling you can get in a game. (Well exept maybe not being able to play open menus or see anything at all for 20 seconds and after that teleporting immortals everywhere (Miller EU someone ?))
  3. Bogarth

The render distance has not been reduced, just the number of people has significantly increased.

Maybe it's just me, but turning up the Vertical View Distance or whatever it's called seemed to helped.
  4. Voffi

Yeah it's pretty bad and i've also noticed that if i aim at a player and the player disappear from my screen but still is there i can't hit them, very annoying
  5. Monch

I've been having the same issues with infantry appearing 40-50 feet in front of me. Hopefully we can get some sort of response on it.
  6. Baleur

Well, i never noticed that in beta. Ever. I could see people across canyons, even if i was in the middle of a zerg.
  7. Wobberjockey

smaller total server population.
  8. Adjutant

It was very noticeable when Esamir was released and they were testing server loads, especially with the "hill warfare."
  9. IBleedblueyellow

this is very bad for snipers.....noticed this yesterday when at 300 yards i couldnt see anything, like there was no battle going on.....thats gamebreaking im afraid.

i dont think soe has figured out a way to have fluid gameplay with this many people on screen, and we are suffering.

bottom line......if you dont have the no how dont make the game.
  10. tomme

I'm considering giving up on Planetside because of this issue. I played in the beta and it was the same problem. I was hoping it would be fixed for release, but nope. It breaks immersion bad, and kinda kills the idea with having a huge battle...

Yesterday was nuts. Lots of people was attacking a outpost. And it felt like I was running through some kind of ghostly battlefield, with random soldiers, enemies and my own comrades popping in and out of exsistance. And we are only talking about a couple of meters here. So damn screwed up this.
  11. Arsinek

They need to make a statement about this issue. I want to know if I just need to avoid big fights or what. Like is there a certain amount of players where this becomes an issue? I dont think it happens when theres only a hand full of players running around.
  12. Wobberjockey

i'll concurr that i also feel like i'm trying to snipe with an invisible veil waving around in the background, but i think the most frustrating part is that it's utterly dynamic.

it will take years to adapt to figuring out how far people might actually be. if i ever do.

it also destroys the possibility of flanking a sniper nest out in the hills and taking a longer distance shot, instead of popping up where they are focusing their attention already
  13. Arsinek

100s of players! 1000s of players! ...invisible players, but theyre there.... somewhere.
  14. Wobberjockey

infiltrators are bad enough, invisible max's are just flat out OP
  15. iEatGlue

You die and the enemy doesn't show up on your kill screen? That's because they didn't render. If they don't render, they are invulnerable to you. This is about 1/3 of my deaths. Does anybody consider this fun or acceptable?

I submit about 5 tickets a play session for this. I suggest everyone do the same. Or maybe get stew360 to tweet it to Smed so he will take notice.
  16. cc2001

They also showed their ability to change the render distance on the fly at the very end of beta. Anyone playing up to the very last minute that night on Thebe knows what I'm talking about. It seems they've chosen some lower setting. I hope this isn't a case of making everyone suffer to lower the min sys requirements.
  17. Xuerian

It wouldn't surprise me, but I hope they change it. I'm betting with the traffic from large player #s and voice chat, it explains this close render limit and constant voice outages.
  18. Abye

Just had a fight on the crossroads watchtower on Indar. You couldn't see the enemies at the outlying capture points. I had to walk up to the ground vehicle ammo dispenser to finally see infantry at point bravo.
  19. maxkeiser

They need to increase the draw distance for infantry a lot - or make it an option in the menu.
  20. Salaman

Yea, was driving a tank around in a massive fight for Hvar just awhile ago and couldn't even see the infantry until I was within 20m or so. Kept getting blasted by invisible energy rockets shot by invisible HA so I just abused the shielded doors constantly until I ended up weapon locked because I kept running over my team (can't really help it when they don't pop into view until their heads already lodged under my treads).