CM Mithril do the devs have any plans to work on graphics?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 36thelement, Aug 10, 2022.

1. 36thelement

Do the devs have any plans to update or restore the game's graphics?
    PS2 used to look colorful and feel atmospheric, now it is lifeless and bland like CSGO. Also I think the DX11 update broke some shaders, and there were some downgrades for PS4, however PS4 and PC use a different version with a different UI, etc.

Also in 2016 Bill Yeatts removed the colour grading and lowered contrast and luminance which has made the game look worse, and lowering contrast has actually made visibility worse.

Also some particle effects were removed, e.g falling leaves used to be present on trees in south west Indar, however now they only appear on a few select ones near Peris Eastern Grove.
    • Up x 2
  2. 36thelement

3. OneShadowWarrior

A long overdue cleanup - Graphics.

Even the anti aliasing is much blurrier than when it was on DX9.

They needs massive upgrades on graphics across the board.
  4. Your Secret Admirer

I think investment in graphics would be counterproductive, the title that is most likely to dethrone PlanetSide is currently battlebit, and it has literally no graphics, beyond a Minecraft aesthetic.

Performance and visibility friendly updates would be welcome, good examples would be an expanded color palette, removing colors from textures and placing them into the world through colored lighting, as well as adding HDR grading so it is compatible with people who have such fancy displays.

When I'm talking about removing colors from textures, I mean concrete should be gray, but she be able to pick up the light from the sunrise, sunset, or the color of the displays lighting up the room, basically, more color in the world space and less color in the texture space.

Also removing game elements that restrict the player's view, for instance:
    Change smoke grenades to generate dozens of false positives on the minimap, but have no visible smoke, change the EMP effect from playing with the users visuals to completely disabling any tracking on their minimap for its duration.

Eliminating camera shake from external sources, this would not apply to recoil from your own weapons.

If you have a ambitious development team, dropping the crosshair to the bottom third of the screen would help with the verticality of the game, and eliminate the head glitch present in games that use a centered reticle

Halo and destiny both removed head glitching by dropping the crosshair down to the bottom third of the screen they also have a significantly more cinematic field because of your increased vertical view
  5. AuricStarSand

First they need popular yt streamers to re-review the game or make a comedy skit video with their friends type. 400,000 to 2 million views. 4 videos of those, from 4 different youtuber's. Bedbananas or Josh Strife Hays & 2 others.

Then after that they may try to get sponsored for PS3. & PS3's main focus would be " marketing flair " & they have to maintain the launch marketing flare, unlike SOE. & wa la PS3 isn't underated how PS2 is. Players want to blame features, when its all really due to early launch marketing issues, is why this game doesn't have 4 million players.

As of 2022 PS2 has plenty of features for 80,000 more players.

Player numbers has to do with downgraded graphics or not.

PS3. Then & after: They'll return Phsyx visuals & give thee a reason to save for a better rig. Other than this laptop. After a year or so break from gaming, for the gym.

Seeing as attachments tank the server, their gonna have to figure out how to add more wep attachments without ping issues. Then give the game a new player experience, seeing as theirs no other mmorpg's or fps titles for another 2 years or 3. Or maybe more 6 years (as who knows if blue protocol, diablo 4, or ashes of creation are gonna be good & they wont arrive for another 2 to 3 years for their real timeframe). That's for other thread.

TBH PS2 is always going to go down as a server sandbox test server for future fps titles. I'd suggest PS2 devs to hold a Q&A with Josh Strife Hays.. Tell him you'll share some philosophy about 24/7 server battles. Equals at least 400,000 views. He may even interview for free.

Now adays if they want to market, they have to flank Youtube, I don't see another way. Patch trailers aren't enough, to flank YouTube. So you have to find topics the popular streamers want to talk about.

If PS2 is going to be a dev hobby, regardless of PS3. Then I'll also suggest to A) Take from Valorant's population & give every class a extra utility skill. & Or a 3rd implant slot. Tho a 3rd implant slot isn't going to impress Valorant players, would have to be at least 1 new ability per class kinda of marketing.

& B) Impress MMORPG players & simply these campaigns aren't working for most players. I forget about campaigns, they are too seasonal. Yet the testing of items is a good reason. Either way a campaign or mission isn't going to be enough. I viewed a Starship Troopers mod for Tarkov or some fps game. Where 10 players build walls surrounding them using shovels, then a ton of alien bugs rush their walls & they have to kill all mobs of bug aliens for 30 min. & thiers boss aliens bugs. Machine gun fire posts. random suggestion.

How to impress mmorpg players for a game that's mostly pvp related, even tho theirs lots of support roles too. I'm a expert at mmorpg's & I don't even believe fantasy mmo's with pve know the answer to this question anymore. tbh. PS2 has a very fair leveling system. Theirs more gamers who've never tried PS2, then those who have & didn't stay. Yet the new player experience requires help on the battlefield as well, telling new players how to handle 48 vs 48 battles, how to handle dying a lot, & how to handle fighting vets. With arrow markers.
  6. Your Secret Admirer

Teaching players to die won't improve them, Teaching players to cloak and redeploy is a better solution.

Teaching players to hard spawn and drive or walk to investigate soft spawns puts them into a flanking position on anyone attacking the sunderer, and keeps them out of farms.

Low KPM with a high KDR spends more time teaching per hour.

You should not be dying in PS2.
    • Up x 1
  7. 36thelement

8. Your Secret Admirer

Obviously...

It the endemic state of white privilege within our community.
  9. MonnyMoony

I'd much rather they spent time on bases and fixing issues with hit reg etc. The graphics are fine.

Many bases are kill boxes. There needs to be more teleporters (to places other than the building next door to the spawn room), stairs up onto the walls so that non-LA defenders can get to an elevated position etc.
    • Up x 1
  10. AuricStarSand

Good luck getting better graphics, without more players first.

When patches like Aresenal update ruin server ping, they barely are able to moderate the regular patches. So regular feature roadmaps are first, which are item based mainly or base based. Graphics are last on the list.

Path of Exile has 60,000 to 80,000 players, with a massively active forum of reply'ers & writers. Lots more people who buy the cash shop & both games came out around the same time (2012). POE has tons of people ranting & raving about wanting features & dissing the features they don't like or lack of balance. So if someone from POE was to ask for " better graphics " even then, with 60k more players, & more cash shop buyers. They don't have the funds for improved engine graphics, till POE 2 & still barely upgrades the engine.

Both games are underrated, yet PS2 is massively more underrated.

Tho ye I didn't want to make a diff thread for this "marketing advice", & also posted thread for reddit & fb, so earned 200 more views. If out of those 200 they want to talk about graphics, ok.

Tho def downgraded graphics have to do with player population, as player population has to do with profit. So it's all relevant. If this game had early game launch numbers, we'd have Physx.