Is my salt justified?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Demigan

That has already been answered in this very thread. I invite you to read it before posting.
  2. VhynSeven

Uh, no, all that is written is how broken the Lib is, how tanky it is, how much firepower it has, how evasive it is, how it can wreck any ground vehicle in a blitz...

So I suppose, given your description of the Lib, it would be the most used vehicle of all the game. Any Outfit worth its salt would be able to spawn 3 to 5 Libs and absolutely wreck any armor column in a matter of seconds...

Then again, why do I not see more Libs? I've been in big fights, in small fights, at different times of the day and night... And I have enough of one hand to count the instances where I saw a Lib doing something else than acting as a G2A magnet and actually killing stuff.
  3. Demigan

Again you have not been paying attention. I already mentiomed why, and you not believing that is exactly the lack of reading comprehension and personal bias that is the problem here.
  4. Exileant

:D A ton of words for saying I am right to call you a hypocrite. Blended with a tad bit of childish: :eek: "No, YOU!" :p Hahaha!

:confused: Psychedelic Ranting is saying: 4 A.A. cannons grouped together is somehow less dangerous than 4 split apart.... ;) Fueled by drugs or A LACK OF EXPERIENCE....
  5. VhynSeven

Ok, I'm calling all willing witnesses. Can someone point me where Demigan explained why the Liberator isn't seen and used at all on Auraxis?
  6. Exileant

:D Pay Demi absolutely NO mind.... The reason you did not see it played, is the truth of the matter is the thing is powerful but it is only this powerful to a few Pilots who basically do nothing BUT fly them. I know, when I started off on my main I was one of them. I wanted that white paint. It took me the better part of a year to learn how to angle my vehicle and swap offensively and actually be able to nail E.S.F.s with my Dalton. Even so they were/are easily broken even properly upgraded, with A.A. Just click my signature and see for yourself.

:( What stopped me from continuing to Solo Liberate was the fact that it was so niche and I would spend most of my time fighting Air, all of the GROUND targets would escape or have time to swap to A.A. and force me to run. Sure I would get the Fighter, even 2... But at what cost? I am now down to 10% health, so I have to run, then repair, and I have not helped my team with the base in the least. Even when my team was poised to take a base, the Fighters I shot down would not let me rest and I would be forced away from the Base Capture. Lost Certs. Piloting these things is more of a display in skill now. "Look at me, I am amazing at using a Liberator by myself, fear me!" But the reality is it is all bluster.

o_O At one time they were effective tools against tanks and Sunderers, but that had nothing to do with the secondary cannon. The Rotator could take out a tank with a single clip to the rear with ammo to spare; so a low altitude, high speed S.R. coming over that mountain was worth it and did not leave most A.A. Gunners time to pinpoint you before you got your target. 90% of the player base does not have time to dedicate that kind of time to get that good at something that ranks only a C+ when it comes to Cert gain. Unless the person has unlocked EVERYTHING, it is not worth it; so the few Pilots out there who are capable of this are A.S.P. 100's or owners of an A.S.P. 100's that just felt the need to start over for some reason and like to throw people off with their rank. In other words they have extra time on their hands.

;) Another thing to remember, is most of the Player base do not even know the site or their presence on Reddit exists, and are far less willing to say anything because they feel it would be a waste of time. So even the most popular: "This is too powerful! Nerf it...." whining sprees posted here and somehow gain momentum, are rarely and I do mean RARELY the reflected feelings of the majority. o_O I know 5 A.S.P. 100's that do not even have accounts here, and EVERY time they make a change, they feel blind sided and absolutely baffled as to why it was made in the first place.
  7. Demigan

Its the simple answer:
    What the Liberator does to ground units, the ESF does to Liberators, except the Liberator has more of a chance. This is what keeps the amount of Liberators down. The ESF themselves have a twisted skillcurve which keeps only a small portion of players playing them.

Ofcourse that is not exactly rocketscience, but lets just go with "just because I dont know why I see so few Liberators they have to be weak" as an argument right?
  8. VhynSeven

Ok I admit I missed that part in all your rants about how broken the Lib is.

But it gives things a new light : a natural balance exists, one that keeps the Lib in check and prevents it to be the real engine of destruction here.

I never said "I don't see any Lib so they have to be weak", I said "if the Lib is that brokenly OP, why I don't see any Lib?". And as you provided, it is because has his own weakness in the form of ESF. Which brings the next question : why would you throw that balance out the window and nerf the one thing the Lib is good at, without any form of compensation?

Because of" fair game"? Sorry, but is Planetside "fair" to begin with? The game runs on perfect imbalance, where everything is only strong within a certain scenario, and have a weakness to be exploited.
    On that point, what good it makes for a Lib to be able to destroy a Lightning if it gets shut down by any passing by ESF before it can actually do its deed? You just pick one precise scenario, and forget about everything else that could make that scenario wrong. Well, not totally, since you half-heartedly admit that ESF counters Lib.

So I ask the question again : why nerf the Lib on account of that one time it was lucky enough to get the deed done, when it gets countered evey other time?
  9. Demigan

You can't excuse everything with "a natural balance exist". Especially since that "natural balance instantly disappears when one side gains air superiority. "Hi we have some ESF here and can now relatively farm all ground units with this OP thing" is not a good or fair idea, especially since ground time and again fails to have the solution.

Why should air be able to defeat all, but ground struggle to defeat air? Why should aircraft be the solution to aircraft, rather than let ground units also be a solution? It is not a good balance of gameplay, too easily broken and it generates in no way enjoyable gameplay except for the few reaping the benefits.

Someone is going to go "ah but if you used teamwork to gain air superiority you should be rewarded!". Well why should ground units not be similarly rewarded? Ground units struggle to go up against air units. Their dedicated AA weapons are all quite literally deterrents, not designed to defeat them outright.

And that implies that the Liberator isn't OP. And if you have to grasp for semantics to justify yourself you aren't really on a strong footing to begin with. "I've been arguing that the Liberator is A-OK but I'm not saying it's not broken OP, I'm just wondering why I don't see more!". That's the level of arguments you've just given us.

Because there is no balance, because even if it were the most balanced system can still give absolute crap gameplay and because I'm asking for a fair result by balancing ground against them as well. Why should air be the only thing that "balances" the Liberator?

That way you can justify anything regardless of how broken OP it might be. Also you are now claiming the game has a perfect imbalance, care to elaborate or will we just get a "it's the way it is" argument like you've thrown at us constantly again?

Because it's not countered every other time and it's not a "lucky enough" scenario. You are making stuff up to justify your point.
  10. VhynSeven

It is actually funny to be called on using rhetoric by someone who twist others words while asking for careful reading. But I digress.

Let's start by addressing the obvious : the perfect imbalance.
    To make it short, perfect imbalance is a way to balance a game by giving imbalanced strengths and weaknesses to various items or classes in the game, with the final aim being everything end up canceling each other.
    Everyone would agree that Light Assault has unparalleled mobility and elevation advantage, Infiltrator can kill while being unseen and Heavy Assault beats every other class in a straight 1v1 shooting. Same with weapons, some are dreaded CQC killing machines, while others are the sharpshooter's best friend. But on the grand scale of things, the ever-changing shape of the battlefield and the sheer number of players, each with his own loadout, make all those differences cancel each other.

Now to get back on the subject. I find several weaknesses to the Lib, and aircraft in general.

1-comparatively to their ground equivalent, they are quite more brittle, and thus require only a handful of hits to get shut down.

2-while being in the sky allows for 3D movement, at the same time it leaves aircrafts in the open. They are way more exposed than ground vehicles are. On a G2G fight, a focused tank can easily hide behind cover. When an aircraft starts to get focused, bolting away asap is its only way of survival.

3-yes, G2A weapons don't hit very hard, but at the same time they are extremely easy to hit with thanks to their mecanics (lock-on, flak), and also extremely accessible. While a G2A laucher doesn't hit hard, it is painfully easy to have a dozen of HA ready to lock-on any spotted aircraft. It is even more true now, since the NPE made the G2A lancher the default laucher of HA.
    In the end, Liberators are 2—manned aircrafts that can be deployed only from a handful of bases, while anti-air weapons are individual and accessible everywhere.

For all those reasons, I don't believe in Liberators being OP. Every time I saw a Liberator being used, it only shot a couple of shells, hardly destroyed a vehicle, before being forced to leave the sky, barely accomplishing anything.