Community smash 2020 - why was it TR vs VS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Jul 5, 2021.

1. karlooo

I'm not asking why was it a 1v1, it's obvious and I would like it for the game to be a 1v1....but why specifically TR vs VS?
    VS, is a straight up upgrade of the TR. Why would you make this a 1v1, it's obvious who has the upper hand.
    I know VS won't get removed because the devs are for some reason are obsessed with them, even though it's the cancer of the game.

But If you want a fair and interesting 1v1 match, make it VS vs NC. Now that would be an amazing match.

NC is better at everything when compared to the TR.

NC puts out more firepower than TR because their weapons fire slower and deal more damage lol, meaning they can fire for a longer duration (with some weapons), while dealing more damage.

NC's MAX units kill enemies faster than the TR max can, and has a shield that can take frontal damage from rockets....they do what they are designed to do.... I've played TR for a very long duration and literarily, a HA with the T7 Chaingun (Carapace and restoration kit, Thumper secondary) is better at breaching, than the TR max, at no cost. I'm not making this up, I know and it's ****** stupid.

NC's MBT, again it's a great design and does what it's supposed to do....The Prowler on the other hand must be played as a suicide bomb truck. It's bulky, terrible off road, expected, not enough HP to take more than 1 tank head on....It must be played as a suicide car, meaning you drive in with a chance to deal a lot of damage, or minimum if the enemy expects it.
    TR's MBT is the Lightening and Prowler is a general nothing tank.
  2. Demigan

Out of interest, what exactly are you smoking?
  3. karlooo

I don't smoke and don't drink.
    I've been playing NC for some time and it's crystal clear.

Can the TR MAX one shot anything? No, it takes 2-3 seconds to down a target. Can it pull out a shield that can take multiple direct rocket hits, no, it can deploy in a stupid stationary pose, and defend against both tanks and infantry worse than the Engineer does.

The NC MBT can literarily breach positions with its shield, and can as well play defensively because it has one cannon.

From my Infantry gameplay on NC side, their 200 damage weapons drop enemies quicker than the 750 RPM, 143 damage weapons (at 60 fps) and are easier to use.
  4. Craneum123

Get a grip.
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

You are using single focused arguments to justify yourself. You only mention things you think are a disadvantage and ignore any advantages.

For example the TR MAX has a TTK of slightly over a second with a single default Cycler without headshots. Slightly above half a second with both cyclers and sub half a second with headshots added to the mix. At the ranges an NC MAX can OHK you the TR MAX can have a TTK of less than half a second on many many players before it runs out, while the NC MAX is limited by its ROF and magazine capacity. Less than half a second is effectively a OHK in many cases in this game.
    But all you say it "oh noes 2 to 3 second TTK!".

That is why I prefer to look and interpret usage statistics rather than try to argue "but dual shot" and "what about DPS/speed/agility/superior anti-infantry/better range etc". If we look at those statistics, which MBT is superior again? Is it the Vanguard? Nope!

Your bias is just bias. Higher damage weapons with low ROF aren't inherently superior and in fact punish more than other weapons. That is why such high damage per bullet weapons aren't automatically the best on the VS and TR either.
    • Up x 1
  6. karlooo

The advantages suck, they make the unit purposeless, no meaning, because other classes are better at the role.
    But you do know I'm not asking for NC to be nerfed lol. I'm saying that if the devs want a 1v1, then the fairest match would be NC vs VS.
  7. RabidIBM

Demigan, you have to realize the optics of accusing someone else of bias while having so much blue and gold on your profile.

I notice you said nothing about tanks, that's actually a point to your favor. On that topic though there is no contest, the Vanguard is a better tank. It doesn't need to hold still to peform at its peak, it has an extra 1000 hp by default, and the blue shield is a blatant "I win" button. The magrider can seem OP when used by a high skill player, but it actually requires that skill to be good. The magrider has both the highest skill ceiling and the highest skill floor, the Vanguard is OP as **** and generally only balanced by the average NC tanker, the prowler challenges its driver to be a good sport.
  8. Demigan

The last paragraphs are specifically about MBT's. The Vanguard performs less well than the other two MBT's. And you do the same as Karloo: "but what about it's extra health? Or the shield?". You name things and assume that just because they are advantageous they instantly make the vehicle OP. Yet all 3 MBT's have advantages and disadvantages. For example the advantages the Prowler has over the Vanguard are its DPS, speed, acceleration, maneuverability, Barrage, Anchor, dual shot, Infantry OHK per shot and in many circumstances it's shape.

Does simply naming them make the tank OP? Ofcourse not! For that we would need to see what it actually achieves in-game compared to the others. A comparison that several people have done in more detail over the years, and "strangely" the Vanguard never beat the other two.
    A small gem between that data is the great equalizer: the Lightning. It's cost/effectiveness and availability actually outperform that of the MBT's. That said we should look into ways of simultaneously equalizing the 3 MBT's in performance while keeping them fun. The Vanguard Shield is what keeps the Vanguard at least somewhat close to the other two, but it just isn't fun to fight for most people to fight as they think it's an Iwin button rather than a barely-able-to-keep-pace button. It is OK to change that, but make sure that enough is returned to the Vanguard to make sure it can keep pace with the other two MBT's. Upgrades to the vanilla chassis, a new or altered faction ability, auto-granted abilities like the other two have gotten and that help the Vanguard to balance out with the other two better.
  9. karlooo

Did it sync in yet? Those traits don't go together, when looking at the visual design of the tank. It's a failed design.

It's too big, like 4x larger than the Lightening, thick, it's incredibly bad off road, and it only fires guns simultaneously....It's designed like a Heavy Breakthrough tank, but its abilities make it a suicide bomb truck because it doesn't have the defense to take anyone head on, and it cannot flank reliably. So how to play it is you rush in, expecting to die but to deal maximum damage. That is a dog****t MBT lol.

NC has a much much more professional military than TR.
    TR would be a challenge for NC, if its traits where really granted such as the speed and maneuverability, but VS is best at that, TR and NC are on par in terms of speed because of the NS vehicles.
  10. Demigan

How don't those abilities sync?

The Vanguard has a reasonable maximum speed, but not the acceleration or turnspeeds to make use of it. There's almost no area in the game where this is truly useful.
    But the Prowler? It has speed, acceleration and a decent turn ratio. That means that it is the fastest maneuvering unit on the battlefield while the Magrider has a different niche of maneuverability cornered.
    That ability to get around is very useful combined with DPS, allowing it to get the most out of its strikes from a good position.
    The ability to get around also means they have a reasonable ability to get in a good spot to Anchor down, not as good as the Magrider but good enough.
    The Barrage ability once again improves the DPS, and the fact that its cooldown already starts counting down from the moment you activate rather than when it ends is another boon. It also lets you unleash it better in combination with your ability to move across the battlefield.
    Its dual shot let it dial in range much faster to shoot accurately and allow it to deal with damage loss on misses more easily. It also means it has an easier time dealing with infantry and aircraft.

All MBT's are larger than the Lightning. That is kind of the point, and 4x is an exaggeration. Complaining about that is like complaining the Lightning can shoot at the Prowler and deal great damage. Well DUH. It can do that to anything.

Its abilities make it the most MBT of all MBT's, although adapted to the PS2 universe. Modern MBT's arent like the Maus, they need a minimum maneuverability to make sure they arent sitting ducks for airstrikes, enemy tanks and artillery. They need maneuverability to get where they need to and finish a fight. They are also designed with DPS in mind, killing an opposing tank ASAP is the modern tank design, adapted in PS2 through DPS.

If you cannot see or use the advantages of the Prowler than yes the Vanguard is for you. A tank that is so outmaneuvered and outgunned its best choice of combat is to force the other two into a dueling match where their abilities dont matter, which usually means hoping they are incapable of using the full range their MBT has to offer and just sit still during the slugmatch.
  11. karlooo

Uhu sure, in your dreams.

You know what, just record a video for me and show us how to use the Prowler properly.
    Because I still can't see it at all, you must show it to us visually lol.
  12. RabidIBM

Demigan, the Vanguard will always win a DPS race with the Prowler, and not just by a little. The prowler can get the drop on the Vanguard, get first hits into the rear armour, then the Vanguard, who only became aware of the Prowler when his rear armour got hit, activates "I win" shield, turns around, and out DPSs the prowler for a win even though the Prowler hits with every shot. I'm not kidding, it's that blatant. Any NC who denies that the Vanguard is OP is only admitting their lack of tank skill.

There's also the issue of muzzle velocity. The Prowler's muzzle velocity while mobile is a joke. The Vanguard's muzzle velocity is a little less than a lock down Prowler, but not that much. If a Prowler has time to drive to a position, activate lockdown, and actually get a second round of shots off before being forced to drop back and repair, then their opponent's have earned a death. The Vanguard can pop out of cover, fire a round off with decent velocity and drop back into cover, rinse and repeat. The Vanguard is arguably a better tank at range than the Prowler.
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

If you activate Barrage you can throw 4 shots worth of 5800 damage against the Vanguard before its slow butt can turn out of the way, add a topgun and it is game over. Which shows how biased you are against Prowlers and in favor of Vanguards. Even with the assumption only the first two hits are in the rear you have already gained a 2400 damage on your enemy, and the side-shield+armor is not enough in any case to outperform the Barrage.

You also present the fight as a static slugmatch. Most fights aren't over in a single bout because people do this thing called "moving". When one of the MBT's is starting to lose they return to cover to repair up. The Vanguard has lost its shield by then and is the slowest to move anywhere, and the mind-numbingly simple tactic of using the time that shield is up to repair up or maneuver instantly makes the Vanguard the worst of the worst.

As for muzzle velocity, its a 25m/s difference standard for equivalent weapons. Not exactly something to go nuts about. With the 50% velocity increase while Anchored an AP canon has a velocity of 375m/s against the Vanguards 275m/s. If I would hazard a guess I would say that 25m/s is closer than 10pm/s difference. So claiming the Vanguard muzzle velocity is close to the Anchored speeds is peculiar at best.
    • Up x 1