[Suggestion] Upcoming construction changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Apr 9, 2018.

1. karlooo

I'm starting to get what the devs are going for. Makes sense, sounds great. But there are some problems according to my experience, not complicating.

So firstly, defending your base against infantry. Destroying or weakening someones base (currently) is very easy, pretty much one or two ppl can decimate your base, in this current stage.
    For example: Lone infiltrators, I got my base destroyed by them often...very hard to get rid of them, not enjoyable at all to fight invisible infantry lol, also finding the invisible sunderer...But yeah that's pretty much only way to destroy bases right now cause walls are almost impossible to destroy.
    ....Basically the plan is to get the explosive crossbows and when the base owner leaves immediately start destroying the repair mod and spawn tube, so he can't respawn, and continue destroying all modules, after that hack vehicle mod, grab a tank and shoot down base (pretty much one infiltrator can do this with little trouble, maybe nerf the crossbow dmg by a bit to not make it so easy).

The new structure pain spire I think is called will work very well in my opinion against these infiltrator attacks. They will lose some amount of cover they could use in your base, like the infantry tower, etc. But anyways I assume they can still destroy the pain spire fairly quickly with the crossbow sooo rip, but still like the idea.

Defending your base against tanks...their weapons are pretty powerful, your turrets have little hit points. Your only way of defending against tanks is the AT tower or turret. Without a module repairing the AT turret it's impossible to 1v1 a tank with the turret.
    So when I create a base I try to hide my towers, I only create an AT turret (instead of the tower) guarding the front of the base...because it's smaller and harder to hit, compared to the tower. I try to hide the anti-infantry tower (very essential building) behind the infantry tower, the anti-air where ever, not important.
    But most areas are open, tank just attacks from a different angle, and turrets exposed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As a person who does construction this is what I would want to add in that would make defending my base easier (for the current upcoming changing regarding the walls):

->Make player be able to place 4 turrets, all turrets will share same space...for example you would be able to place 4 AT turrets, or 2 anti-infantry and 2 AT (instead of the 1 AT,1 AA,1 AI). I believe the base owners need more turrets to defend themselves from a small force, right now one tank can destroy your turrets with no problem, don't want to imagine what the tank could do if the walls will be damageable. Also for infantry invading your base, one anti-infantry tower won't do much, the infantry have too much cover, making player add 2 towers into the base would be a great help, because the towers would share space player gets to choose what he wants to defend from the most.

->Add in anti-infantry turrets, because the anti-infantry towers are too exposed, easy to take down. And nerf the damage of anti-infantry by a bit.

->make Allie players not be able to build in your silo area. Almost every base builder creates his base solo, other players a bit ruin the base design. Also for what I'm asking about the 4 turrets, players might abuse it so yeah that's why I mentioned this. The silo you create, only you will be able to build in the area and no one else.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another problem is that squads won't use your base/road block, most of the time (my experience). I've had many instances when players used my base, we had a nice fight, defending off multiple tanks/infantry, lots of fun but is it worth defending the road? It's pretty much a waste of time, most squads know it. They will not waste their time using your base and instead spawn at another territory and push enemy back with a tank brigade, while you distract the enemy zerg solo lol.
    And also there are multiple ways to bypass your base: just drive around it, find a different path. Creating the base just feels so useless. When I created the hive, I felt at least useful, I was doing something that helped the team win, but people used some areas to create some indestructible fortresses on hills and in holes, yeah. Which I agree with being removed.
    Maybe add something for example a radar that shows enemies on the map 300m from it. That would be useful, and people will not hide that.

Also its rly hard to fit structures into your base: vehicle terminal and modules, silo, towers, it will get harder with the new structures added. Right now bases are super clustered. Not a big problem but would ask if we could get 1 or 2 more walls added. I also use the walls to cover infantry outside and also my AT turret by putting the wall very low in front of it.

The sky shield module. It doesn't protect the top very well, it's too high in my opinion. Would want it a bit lower. Pretty much someone can find a spot on a hill higher than your walls, and the modules are exposed, not much you can do if you don't have a weapon that can beat the target. But this isn't a problem at all, just had some areas where some players did this to me. I guess I should find a better spot.

And last thing about long range weapons. The flail looks like a great long range weapon to support allies, but why can't the aiming system change? Why can't I stay at my base and shoot it from there by giving it coordinates. Do I have to get out of my base, drive 1km and then shoot the dart into the enemy risking my life and base during that time? I'm not rly a fan of the dart idea, most of the time when I tried to use it I died without getting to shoot the dart at my location and always lost my vehicle I drove there lol ;)
    • Up x 3
  2. Leandre

I'm a base builder for 3 weeks and I don't agree with your solution. With the turrets that we can already use combined with tanks mines, claymores and spitfire-turrets it's possible to set really good kills setup. I know how you feel about those pesky infiltrators who are keep coming again and again. But this is a first person shooter over a building game and I believe that this should stay that way. If they come as a team and you don't have a team, you lose. If that one infiltrator can beat you every times solo and you can't kill him yourself then you don't deserve to have a base. I suggest to work at least in team of two. With experience you can find ways to make better bases, with mostly all modules covered by turrets and shields. Again this is easier to accomplish while building with teammates. Most of peoples who are attacking my bases solo or with small teams are just dead meat to me! However this is not always easy to start a base and get teammates, and when the zerg come you can only hope about random reinforcment!

To make base more important in the game strategies they should make Orbital Strike able to fire anywhere in it's range. And find a way to make PMB of better support on the battlefield, like building on points is really interresting.
    • Up x 1
  3. karlooo

[IMG]

So this an example base I built (just an example), It has 2 entrances, in the front an AT turret, behind the infantry tower an anti-infantry tower, an AA gun and a vehicle terminal, modules.

[IMG]

In the front it has a hidden AT turret, if you enter it it emerges from under the cover, It has a rep module behind it. If you enter a turret it moves up for whatever reason. From the front this base is pretty much indestructible.

[IMG]
    Only the AA turret is exposed, others are hidden from the front.

[IMG]

Tanks can attack from an angle, rip turrets. Anti-infantry tower will not be effective vs infantry, they have cover everywhere. It's hard to find infiltrators in your base, they can be hiding anywhere. Anyways this roadblock is only tough from the front, but allies don't defend your base so enemies will just flank your base and destroy it from it's weak spots. Pretty much not defendable, not fun, waste of time.
  4. karlooo

Spitfire-turrets barely do damage to kill someone, easy to destroy, I think it can be taken over by an infiltrator too lol. Anti-infantry mines will kill 1 guy maybe. There are plenty of spots to hide from turrets, and turrets don't detect invisible targets. Pretty much highest chance to kill someone are by the mines, everything else is easy to bypass. I barely see players building a base together, that's mostly done solo, and I'm trying to say my opinions and ideas on solo building.
    Most players won't waste their time at your base, they will fight for capturable territories.
    • Up x 2
  5. Leandre

Spitfire-turret is not intended to solo kill everyone, it's a support tool that need a good positioning. Most of times the turrets only show me where to find the intruders, I still have to go kill them myself... If there is plenty of spots to hide from turrets in your base then it is badly designed.

What i'm trying to explain is that where some don't have sucess, some others have good sucess. I think that i'm getting enought auto-kills like it is. It is already hard to drag a fight in your base cause people know what they get!
  6. Leandre

As advise i'll recommand to get a tank to defend your base and get a repair sunderer deployed next to your turrets. Sometimes I like to set a Prowler over a Pillbox with a ramp access and ammunition tower next to it. When that is well located I can hold and destroy many tanks then go out and finish up sunderers. Avoid placing building inside your base, keep it open so turrets have better coverage. Solo building is not good, one turret is not enought to get free and easy kills, you need to stack at least two turrets of each kind.

Also the location is the most important, your skyshield need to be as low as possible and cover perfectly every walls. Then build your turrets under that cover in a way that tanks can't hit them from outside (excepted for AV turrets). Those have to be place in a way that ennemies have to get close before they can see it.

Some of my bases have hosted fights of over 150 players, one had to be nuked twice before they could get rid of it! With only a team of two we survived 4 consecutives gals drop and I killed two whole squads by myself with the mines setup, my turrets and using my ant's basilisk!
  7. adamts01

As someone who's killed plenty of bases, the best solution is to change the turrets the way MBT cannons were changed. Some are better against infantry, and some better against armor, but they all work against anything in a pinch. Let the turrets specialized, but let them all attack every target and be a threat. It's just too easy to stay out of sight of the single turret that can hurt you. If there's any obstruction to the AA tower, I'll burst down module after module from the air, and there's not much a solo infantry player can do about it. Same goes for a tank. Just hide yourself from the AV turret and everything else is cake, just facetank the AV turret last.
    • Up x 2
  8. karlooo

@adamts01: Yes True, thx for trying to prove my statements. I think the solution to defend bases easier is to make player able to create more turrets to cover weak spots, what I mentioned above, turrets will share space, depending on what type of turrets you need most in your location.

@Leandre The devs said they want to the bases to act something like a forward operating base or to block a passage....Most passages are pretty large and open, it's impossible to position your turrets perfectly. Base will always have weak spots everywhere which are super easy to get to.
    What you are talking about is a base in a hole, if you put the sky-shield low enough to cover turrets...devs want to remove that. I'm stating my opinions on bases built on flat ground.

Most players build solo. Base building squads are a complete mess (tested it out, just mass resupply silo in a battle area, spam produce modules and other structures so enemies have no chance destroying the base). I would be ok with players only being able to build near their silo and no one else. And giving the owners more ways to defend.
  9. karlooo

With the wall changes coming this will be a disaster, the tank will just pass your AT turret and try to destroy walls from an angle you can't defend from.
  10. Spectralfx

Base building used to be fun, but then, everything changed when the solo infiltrator attacked.

That alone suffice to express how pointless this game mechanic has become over the years.
  11. Leandre

I just figure out a way to make PMBs more important and strategic on the battlefield.

Problems: Ennemies are respawning too quickly, it is frustrating when you succeed to kill let's say 3 ennemies but they are back 15 seconds after... You don't have time to breath and rebuild anything.

Solutions: Nerf sunderers respawn ability, or at least in ennemy zones. That should take a good 2 minutes before they are able to respawn next to your position, or at least in friendly zones (controlled by faction). Same on the battlefield, respawn are way too quickly. Attackers would had to stay alive (which would promote medic class) or have many sunderers or a base to respawn.
    Reinforcement modules could act as a buff for sunderers in the range, which would negate the nerf. That way we could see more battle ants working on battlefield logistic.
  12. karlooo

Yeah that's some huge change that would effect the whole game. But it would be helpful in defending the bases against infantry attacks.

What about tanks? Someone shooting at you from long range, out of sight from your AT turret, your rockets can't damage the vehicle well. When walls will become unprotected by the shield I assume a solo tank could take down the wall or all your turrets.

I still think making the player place more turrets with shared space would be the best way, when these wall changes come.
    Or maybe add a new structure that shoots a laser guided anti tank missile. That should make it easier to shoot single tanks from odd angles.
  13. LordKrelas

2 minutes if sitting on your *** for respawn, attacking any base on the lattice...
    Just so a PMB, is able to have 2 minutes to rebuild anything destroyed..
    Perhaps manual repair?
    So that lattice gameplay doesn't result in 2 minutes where the enemy is lacking reinforcements, while allies completely respawned ages ago, and likely detonated the Sunderer a minute earlier.

Not to mention, not make PMB's the requirement to attack bases.
    I don't want to see every single assault needing a PMB, just to have respawn not literally take 2 entire minutes.
    Maybe have someone else in your automated fortress?
    Not expect a lone-wolf's automated base to handle every possible threat by itself, without any effort?

If you want to kill a tank, that is out-ranging your defences, or using odd-angles intelligently..
    Have your PMB spawn your own MBT.. This makes your base have an MBT, and your entire self-repairing defense grid.
    And you don't multiply the firepower of a single builder by 20x with automated-guns alone..
    And make that Squad of 6, which has 6x the guns, 3x the walls, 3x the modules originally, to have 120 guns available.

Construction isn't meant to be done Solo.
    This is a game of teamwork, and for some reason Lone-wolf builders are expecting to have the automated firepower equal to entire squads... when they can get this by having a second person, or an actual Squad.
    One thing Connery VS showcased well: Construction is powerful when used in a Squad.
    Same way, a one-man MBT is a joke compared to a two-manned MBT.
    • Up x 1
  14. karlooo

@LordKrelas Well it's not as simple as you explained it. Sry what's PMB, MBT ?

I'll say my opinion a bit more detailed again. So base building, what's it useful for? It was used mostly for building hives but devs want to remove it, they want the bases to act like a forward operating base, or to block some passage.
    What's the point of the base protecting the road? Does it even have an effect? No it doesn't. Experienced enemies will bypass it, and allied players won't use it to defend off the enemy pushing into our territory. Because it's a waste of time. It's far more effective respawning at a nearby territory and pushing the enemy back with a tank brigade, and continuing forward. Or just leaving the territory and heading somewhere else to defend.

Base building squads bring construction to extreme unbalance. Together as a group the base building squads can spam create walls, modules, etc., no base design at all, no thinking, just structures all over the place, making it pretty much impossible to destroy it all. Base building squads are a complete mess.

But anyways when I see peoples bases I mostly see something small, one person built. There are barely any base building squads, no leaders, barely anyone builds and most people don't know what to build. They build something on a mountain, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, some people build on roads. Construction is confusing and people don't get it. I don't get it too, the hives made some sense. The construction, if it got removed right now it would have no effect on the game I bet.

About the defending bases. I didn't say out-ranged. I'm saying that one AT turret can be avoided with no problem, and enemies can attack your base out of the AT sight...nothing you can do (I'm not saying out of AI sight, how can it be so hard to understand what I say lol). I mentioned infiltrators too, very hard to get rid of them, they cause some heavy damage to the base (I already mentioned how).

Ok so basically this construction thing is confusing and I don't get the point of it after hives get removed. I barely built hives cause the cores where always used. I've been mostly building FOB type bases on roads, and this is my experience. Which I wanted to share, I've not noticed anyone build these type of bases, and devs want the bases to act this way so I'm saying my opinions on it, from my solo perspective.
  15. LordKrelas

Quote button really helps. It ensures I get a notification.

PMB = Player Made Base.
    MBT = Main Battle Tank.

Hives were the most moronic thing.
    They devaulted the entire lattice, by providing un-stoppable (only able to be delayed) Victory Points (VP), that couldn't be lost, unlike 90% of VP (all VP gained via land grabs required the land to be kept), while working at any location, with the ability to Speed up the process (which was shared by all hives of that Faction)
    A single Hive could produce a unlimited supply of VP's, from a single location - with the VP requirements being constant.
    While entire Tech plants granted 1 VP if even that, with the requirements for a VP growing for each VP gained.

So Hives were able to generate more VP than any collection of Lattice bases, without any increase of effort or risk, with merely a time-sink, to provide the superior VPs that could not be lost regardless of action.
    This made Hives more valuable, and more dominant than the entire Lattice, for the game's goals.

The purpose of PMB's should never be around dominating the gameplay on the map.
    But supporting it: It is not supporting the game-play, to dictate all gameplay must now spin around the PMB's existence.

Have PMBs provide bonuses to allies, in the local Hexes.. this actually naturally creates a motive for allies to defend, and enemies to attack.
    This also promotes construction being supported & done in active combat-zones to help not control the battle's results.

The reason why single users are limited in walls to 3, Turrets to 1, and modules to 1 (2 for some) each..
    Is because this is a team game, and the entire squad \ Platoon can co-operate organically with constructing said base.
    If each player had additional FULLY automated turrets, these become worse..
    If it was split, reducing the numbers per member in squad, it would result in squads made of people outside of a squad, bypassing this counter-measure.

These turrets are fully automated, nanite-free, weapons, able to be self-repairing via a module.
    In a game, where every base's defenses outside of PMB's are manual only.
    The only other automated turret is a Spitfire, which is laughable for offense & defense by itself, for firepower.
    The turret's automation is meant to support defense, not be a perfect defense against attackers.

Which due to the nature of PMB's, and logical construction, is designed around being as painful as possible, to discourage any combat.
    While lattice bases are tailored to be encouraging fun fights for both, not straight meat-grinders by themselves.
    But both involve players being sent into these:
    Most builders seem to want to Force others into these one-sided meat-grinders, rather than a mutual desire to engage each other.

Which is why, Galaxies full of max units, equal to several thousand nanites rain down onto PMB cores.
    Like the Builders, those that engage these PMB's forcing conflict directly, use the most efficient most-difficult-to-stop means available to win the engagement.
    Which is the same logic used by the original Builders; Do not give a fight, most effective method, as quick as possible.

They were never designed as Solo fortresses.
    Their AI is strictly to assist in defense, due to the poor implementation resulting in either No motive to attack, or only when No defense will hold, making the defenders of PMBs not want to sit around in their bases possibly for hours for nothing.
    While on the flip-side, attackers did not want to engage meat-grinder designed bases, that gave no EXP basically - even when forced, unless using the brutal tactics that builders complain about.

PMBs should organically support the lattice gameplay, with supporting effects.
    This grants motive to attack & defend, without forcing the hand of anyone into one-sided Meat-grinders.
    Most builders, seem to want their PMB's to be required to the point, that No choice is given.
    Rather than promote mutual motives to interact with each other, it's often "PMB exists, Lattice bends to the will of Builder"
    Or "PMB Exists, all players must now engage the PMB on the PMB's terms - no practical choice."
    To the lovely "If you wish to play the game, you must now use this completely separate system, as Construction exists"
    The last references, the 2-minutes of respawn, to rebuild anything broken.. which also gives enough time to kill any Sundy, unless using Construction.
    Killing all lattice attacks, that aren't based on PMB fortresses - while buffing the hell out of PMB respawn.
  16. Leandre

IT don't have to be as dark as you seem to like... well maybe that instead of respawning back again in the same fight you could join another fight (area) quickly.
  17. LordKrelas

You mean respawn away from the front-line onto allied PMB, allied hex, or anywhere not where any fight is, that isn't a defense?
    Unless they have a PMB in said hex, forcing Construction to be used, to actually use the bloody lattice?
    Just so a Solo PMB, can have 2 entire minutes to rebuild while under-assault?

Not as Dark?
    You have 2 entire minutes, if you kill a module, or it can't be placed nearby, to destroy a Fragile sunderer, if you'e using a Sunderer spawn outside of your own Hex.
    That's a lot of time.

If you have a need to strip the entire game of practical respawn times, so you can build a construction item, before they can respawn.. to the point of 2 minutes..
    You apparently are a solo-builder, that didn't decide to attack the Sunderer, but rather wishes to cripple the entire game's ability to use Sunderers, than Leave the confines of a PMB.
  18. infilallday

Wait....
    We can build bases now?
    How, what, why and when?
  19. LordKrelas

Construction System, it's on PC, but not Console.
    It's been there for awhile.

It's accessed via the very durable ANT vehicle, which you use to collect cort (pillars of black & orange sparky rocks), which is used as basically currency & fuel for the Ant's abilities, and construction Objects.
    Deploy the ANT via the deploy button, and access the rear terminal now available on the Rear of the vehicle.
    You can now pick & see your available construction objects.
    Most outside of Walls, Bunkers, Towers, use a Silo as a Power-Supply provider (fueled by cort) to make them functional.
    These objects range from Weapon platform towers, to modules (which provide functions from auto-repair, to sky-shields), to spawn-pads for air, ground, or infantry, to the mentioned Walls, Bunkers & towers.
    Special construction objects also exist such as Orbital Strike Cannons.

Each player has their own placement limit per object type, with some sharing the same limit.
    This is worked around logically, by a squad combining, as intended.

This feature is only available on the PC version of the game.
    • Up x 1
  20. infilallday