Launcher will not connect (4-503). FINALLY a workaround that 'twerks'!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Juggernaut70, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Juggernaut70

LaunchPad was unable to connect. Please check the network connection or try again later. If the problem persists, please visithttps://help.daybreakgames.com for assistance.
    (4-503)

After struggling with this for a few days (never had this problem before (since 2012) and my son's PC (almost identical specs still connects fine). I searched here, google and found many have this problem and some posted 'workarounds' that DID NOT WORK (for me at least). Deleted cache folders (launcherLib), launchpad.exe delete, re-run setup/repair, fully uninstalled, re-installed to a different location (local and steam), reset Internet options, Changed my DNS, modem/router cold boot, changed IP's, tried VPNs etc , and NOTHING worked! How frustrating when I am just trying to get my FIX! (pun intended)

During my troubleshooting yesterday, I decided to launch task manager before launching PS2 (to monitor what launchpad.exe calls on other than just launcher and planetside2. I noticed under processes, 'Daybreak ... launchpad.exe' appears as expected, AND (3) 'GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exe (32 bit)'. Then the dreaded 'Launcher will not connect (4-503)' inevitably appears in my launcher (again, as expected). o_O

My logic stated: "there should be only ONE GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exe actively running".
    Eureka! A simple WORKAROUND (has to be done each time "Launcher will not connect (4-503)" appears in your launcher). This is the only 'workaround' I could come up with that works for me, every time. I sure hope this helps to prevent someone from deeply stabbing (4-503) into their LCD with a mag-cutter like I did.

1. Leave Launchpad open with error displayed (4-503) (you will take pleasure in watching it kaput)
    2. Open Task Manager
    3. Under processes | right click/END TASK on ALL duplicate 'GameLauncherCefProcess.exe' you see listed (only 1 is needed)
    4. VOILA! (4-503) disappears and PLAY button illuminates - CLICK PLAY
    5. After your game, write DBG and tell them to debug Planetside 2's launcher and to add back PhysX GPU particles. (It's open source now, so AMD users can enjoy too. PS2 is so much better w/ fully enabled PhysX particle effects!).
    ~your welcome DB. You can update my ticket and close it, (4-503) is not worth more of my time. Please use this info to debug the launchpad you inherited from SOE.
    • Up x 12
  2. FLHuk

Thank you, been hunting and trying various things but this seems the quickest and most stable solution.

A support ticket produced various things like "Have you tried growing carrots?"
    • Up x 1
  3. Grizzly13456

Wow thank you, I've been trying for hours to get PS2 to work and it gave me a ******* headache but then I do what you said and it works!
  4. Ken1010101

Works great!

Killing one instance starts another; I had to kill 5 restart processes....

Thanks Juggernaut70!
  5. [KAIN] HARDSOIL

when I hit end task on one of the GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exes, the launchpad just refreshes for a second and a new one starts up. I've tried multiple times, with the same results. Any tips?
  6. Nikkaah

Thank you! This workaround also fixed the launcher crashing problem for me, which happened every few seconds during download.
    • Up x 1
  7. Meifumado

Thanks!! This worked for me; end task on the exe with the lowest memory amount , launcher immediately connected.
    What perplexes me is, i played it fine last nite & last few months with no problems, nothing's changed...put down to quirks
  8. The Sithis

Even after 2 years this error appears, and yet that method still working!
    Jugg, may the darkness keeps you safe,

Thank you!
    • Up x 1
  9. Admiral Melodie

:eek: Even after 2 years and 2 months, this error appears, and yet this method still works!
    Jugg, may the NC keeps you safe,

Thank you!
  10. Oroche

caramba, realmente funciona, BRASILEIROS, acreditem, funcionou comigo ...
  11. Alor Ori'Ramikade

The new fix is run as administrator. worked for me.
  12. KakeMaster

Didn't know why this error appear out of nowhere, or why it isn't been fix yet, but this still works

Thank you!
  13. GreyDeath

Wow, after nearly 5 years this error still occurs - windows 11 for me. This fix worked !
  14. OldSchoolD

I had this Error 4-503 today and none of fixes above would fix it. Tried Daybreak's suggested solution, tried ending the extra processes as described above, deleting the whole launcher's cache as suggested on Reddit, and fixing the game files thru Steam as the launcher wouldn't get to the part you can do it from there. All to no avail.

When logging to Steam to fix the files from theere, I realized that the Steam launcher couldn't connect either. The problem for me was that these launchers use the windows inbuilt internet explorer browser to connect to their servers, and that was changed - probably by a windows update- to connect thru a VPN.

So the solution that worked for me, was to go to the Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings and untick the box at the bottom that says Use a proxy server for your LAN.

Alternatively in Windows 10 and above go to Settings>Network & Internet>Proxy>Manual proxy setup and turn it off.

I am posting this because it took me hours and it was a pain to Google for a solution and find none that worked. Hope this helps someone down the road ;)
  15. MuringaBRAZIL

Thank you very much, I had this error, I did the procedures and managed to log in.
  16. Elvensong

It's Aug 2022 and had this issue a week ago. THANK YOU so much!
    • Up x 1
  17. Obside0n

August 2022 - Fix worked like a charm!
  18. 1N4.

c лета 2023 появилась это ошибка, она то появлялась - то пропадала сама. Не нашел ответа в интернет, не смогла помочь поддержка игры я перестал играть (помогала полная установка игры, но только при первом запуске.)
    Спасибо Juggernaut70

*** (гугле траслуте)

Since the summer of 2023, this error appeared, it appeared and then disappeared on its own. I couldn’t find an answer on the Internet, game support couldn’t help, I stopped playing (a full installation of the game helped, but only on the first launch.)

Thanks Juggernaut70