Gatekeeper again..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Orakel, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Orakel

Im curious if i can get a "Gatekeeper" for my magrider, since this weapon causing unbalance between faction tanks. I remember when whole TR&NC was crying about nerfing our PPA, which is pretty useless weapon now. So let me think which long ranged " spamable " tank weapon VS got actually ?? Hm.. the E540 ? seriously no since each faction got this ? Saron and Aphelion? nah close ranged weapons ;)

So im curious why you causing heavy unbalance between faction tanks ??
  2. JKomm

It's not unbalance, the tanks just serve different roles. Gatekeeper is just in a bad position currently and needs tweaking. As well, Aphelion is hardly a close range weapon, compared to the NC and TR counterparts Mjolnir and Vulcan, the Aphelion is capable of ranges well beyond those. Saron is an incredibly powerful weapon at close range due to it's rate of fire and damage, which puts the Magrider in a weird position because it's long range weapon is better for close range, and it's close range weapon is better for long range.

Magrider is more of a hit-n-run tank, or long range harasser due to it's mobility. Because it's relatively silent and can climb mountains it's also great for flanking. Vanu always complain about it being underpowered, and I'm starting to think most Vanu don't know how to use their own weapons in that case. If you go in expecting it to act like a Vanguard brawler, you'll lose, if you try to take out a Prowler at range, you'll lose. Sneak around, get the drop, the Magrider is undoubtedly superior when it comes to traversing terrain.
    • Up x 5
  3. Lemposs

Saron is good enough for long range that or go Halberd. Also even if VS got a GK equivalent, they'd still lose to the Prowler, since the Prowler is king of long range; which leads into if you have to go long range as Magrider you are quite literally doing it wrong and no amount of top guns would change that.

Also PPA was probably around 10 times stronger against infantry than the GK is, which should be rather telling why it received complaints.
  4. Pikachu

Saron=Gatekeeper=Enforcer=Halberd
  5. Daigons

Truly breath taking watching 3-4 coordinated Harasser Gatekeeper squad burn down any flying or driving vehicle in the game. To be honest it's a lot of fun sitting behind a Gatekeeper.
    • Up x 1
  6. SpeedFreakPS1

I
    Yep, this is true but DBG doesn't give a crap, when my all access expires I will be leaving the game until the TR are fixed, it goes beyond the gatekeeper, the spaminess of their weapons gives them a huge advantage, nice when anyone can pull out a 900rpm sidearm especially an infiltrator
  7. Scr1nRusher

HERE WE GO AGAIN.......

WE NEED MORE QQ ON THESE FORUMS.
    • Up x 4
  8. Scr1nRusher

Holy crap the stupidity is so much
    • Up x 1
  9. Draconas

When a single gun can kill a sunderer in under 2 seconds, there's a problem. ive killed things ******edly fast with my TR character with it, ive died ******edly fast as any other faction with it.

rebalance the damn thing already, as it's all TR ever uses now as it's a complete ******** weapon
  10. Slandebande

Give me a squad of 3-4 coordinated MBT's and they won't get near unless the terrain HEAVILY favors them.

Or, even more effectively, 1-2 MBT's, 1-2 Sundies and 1 Harasser working with coordination, with the same amount of people. GK's not needed.

I personally don't find the GK fun to use, but to each their own I guess :)

2 seconds? Right, so first of all you haven't ever used the weapon for yourself, and secondly, you don't seem to have the awareness to be able to tell what is actively firing at you. A single GK doesn't destroy a Sundy in anything close to under 2 seconds. If only people would actually try the weapons themselves before complaining things would generally be so much easier :(

For the record, most experienced tankers won't be using the GK if they plan on taking a gunner worth 2 cents. The GK is only really comparatively usable in the hands of rookies, simply because they aren't skilled enough to use the other weapons reliably. In the hands of competent crews (MBT-wise), you are generally always better off with the alternatives, simply because it is so easy to exploit the weakness' of the GK, especially on a platform such as the Prowler, which shares many of the same weakness'.
    • Up x 3
  11. Scr1nRusher

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh the GK can't kill a sunderer in less then 2 second.

I think you are just acting out irrationally.
    • Up x 1
  12. Draconas

did you like, not read? IVE USED IT, IT'S OVER POWERED
  13. Kristan

Instead of nerfing Gatekeeper I'd rather prefer buffing Saron and Enforcer range and accuracy capabilities.
    • Up x 1
  14. Scr1nRusher

That argument is pathetic.
    • Up x 1
  15. Draconas

yeah whatever
  16. freeAmerish

When the developers start loving a different fraction it probably gets toned down.
    Or where are the PPA Herassers?
  17. Gundem

That's just the issue. What cosmic entity told you that you are not allowed to flank with the Prowler or the Vanguard? Sure it might take a bit longer, but there is seldom a place where most tanks go that the Vanguard or Prowler cannot reach, even if it does take 5 minutes longer of driving.

But then the Magrider is relegated to flanking tactics only, a skill that is fundamental to gaming, not to a specific class or vehicle. And then people claim that the Magrider is somehow equal to the other tanks because when you flank with it, it performs admirably.

But when a Vanguard or Prowler flanks, they retain all their specific advantages in firepower, speed and durability along with superior abilities for combat. Ergo, a Magrider can flank to overcome it's weaknesses, but if a Vanguard of Prowler flank, they can perform exceptionally well.

This is the issue most real Magrider pilots have with the tank, and with tank balance in general.
    • Up x 2
  18. Ziggurat8

Magrider is anawesometank. it's an ambush tank that performs the best when using terrain to its advantage. but it also performs well in open ground because of its maneuverability and can strafe out of long range tank shells. The saron is probably the best overall top gun for the mag. you mag dump on targets closer than 50m or single fire at greater distance.

the GK on the other hand has the same recoil and ttk at all distances. so you park on a hill 500m away and just ran hell down on everything with a 2x or better scope. it's cheese and most players see it for what it is. I would give it a much faster rate of fire a much higher cof bloom and about 1/3 the ammo per reload. so it can still long range but requires better control, is better in mid/close range and rewards the ability of the driver to keep it in maximum potential. its current version is just an explosive basilisk that does more damage e without a single trade off. it's cheese.
  19. ColonelChingles

The Magrider does have the best advantages in terms of firing on the move. It has the best "stability", meaning that the primary weapon rocks the least when moving over uneven terrain. It is also able to keep its front aimed at the enemy, whereas the Vanguard and Prowler need to expose their sides in order to flank properly.

The largest advantage of the Magrider, however, is to be able to quickly flank from avenues that are off limits to Vanguards or Prowlers. When I'm doing rear-guard duty in a Skyguard, only Magriders and Harassers are significant threats. Having a Vanguard or Prowler sneak up on me is unlikely because I can put some geography near my rear. Not as easily done with a hill-cresting Magrider.

Finally of course the Prowler loses its advantage of Anchor if it flanks, as it must remain mobile. That's a significant loss of ability. It's not as if the Magrider loses the Afterburner when it flanks.

Now for some data...

AP Effectiveness Against MBTs
    Prowler- 2.96 MBT kills per hour (36,579 MBT kills, 12,360 hours)
    Vanguard- 2.81 MBT kills per hour (34,304 MBT kills, 12,189 hours)
    Magrider- 2.62 MBT kills per hour (25,243 MBT kills, 9,618 hours)

The Magrider actually does reasonably well. Sure it's no Prowler, but it's close to the Vanguard. In other ways the Magrider is more effective, killing more Sunderers than the Vanguard and significantly more Lightnings than the Vanguard, all adjusted for hours of use. Again, that shows the effectiveness of the Magrider's flanking ability.

2/2 Usage Rates
    Magrider- 51.4% (600 primary hours, 308.3 secondary hours)
    Vanguard- 46.0% (705.4 primary hours, 324.2 secondary hours)
    Prowler- 41.3% (848 primary hours, 350.2 secondary hours)

Magrider 2/2 usage isn't significantly higher than other MBTs. Only 5.4% more than Vanguards. The gap to a Prowler is more significant at 10.1%, which might be more of a problem.
  20. ColonelChingles

Statistically the Saron is actually pretty good... outperforming the Gatekeeper by a few metrics.

In terms of % deaths, the Saron is responsible for more Sunderer, Lightning, and MBT deaths than the Gatekeeper.
    In terms of VKPH, the Saron is the most effective MBT secondary weapon against vehicles.
    In terms of KPH, the Saron is the most effective MBT ESAV weapon against infantry (though beaten by the Halberds).

This is more impressive considering that Gatekeepers have 16.5% more playtime than the Saron, yet the Saron kills more of pretty much everything.
    • Up x 1