Mortars for the Engineer Class

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Shaveitupwow, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Shaveitupwow

Hello, I am a fellow PS2 player as well as you probably are. I love this game with a passion since the first time I laid eyes on it... "ha! Gay"... Anyways, I would like to say I have quit WoW (a game I played for 6 years nonstop) for this game. No regrets, whatsoever! Anyways, I have an idea that may have a great outcome or a really ****** one.. There is one possibility I think can go wrong with this idea.. and that is the friendly fire issue. But, it probably won't be as bad as I am thinking. "Get to the Point man".. Alright, alright..... My idea is having another option between the Engineer Turrets and a Mortar. Yes, I said a mortar.. I'm honestly surprised we don't have one as it is. I'm thinking a mortar(s) which could be used as a replacement with the turret to be used as a stationary undercover option.. The Mortar will be used as an anti infantry out in the battlefield and might even do some damage to nearby vehicles.... The Mortar will also have a really small chance on impact of not detonating... as seen in one of the episodes of "Band of Brothers" (a WW2 based TV series).. Highly recommend watching if you haven't yet. Examples in scenario... Say you have a man behind a rock or some type of cover.. He will set up a stationary area behind cover allowing him to position area of impact and soon firing the Mortar.. I am thinking you would have more than just one mortar... Or else that would be really boring. The mortar should have an after effect of "splash damage" based on how close and how far you are from the mortar... Maybe a 5-10 meter range of Splash damage at tops. (1-2 one shotting you) (3-4 maybe 5 taking out the whole shield and maybe a little bit of health) and you get the rest of the point.

Thanks so much for reading my idea guys.. :D I really hope it gets somewhere! I do realize I may not be the first person to come up with the "Mortar idea" but I hope my speech gets us to a start! Again, thanks a ton to anyone who helps this idea get somewhere and Please, Please leave your opinions on the problems with this idea and how we can address these issues!

Thanks in advanced, Fellow Ps2 Player
  2. Mikey Two Guns

We more or less already have mortars available on the Engineer class: Grenade Bandolier + Sticky Grenades! It works indoors, too!
    • Up x 1
  3. Shaveitupwow

terrible reply... no offence
    • Up x 2
  4. Mikey Two Guns

Perhaps it was a bit abrasive, but it signifies the key problem with your idea--mortars would be mostly redundant with the Engineer's current gear set.

Also remember that with the AV Turret and Archer gun, the engineer already has quintessential, role-defining tools for outdoor, long range combat.

Given that most combat occurs at close-medium range anyways, I think it is safe to say that mortars would be a waste of precious developer time and resources.

Sorry if that is not the feedback you were hoping for.
    • Up x 1
  5. Shaveitupwow

Ya, I guess you're right. I just think it would be really cool to have mortars in the game.
  6. RedArmy

they have to make an AA mana turret before anything else
  7. Pikachu

Model is in the files.

About mortar, the current AV MANA turret uses a modified bulldog model and I think it's called howitzer in the files.
    • Up x 2
  8. Kirppu1

9. jp5a9852

No! Indirect fire weapons are not fun to fight against. Pretty boring to use too.
  10. Benton582

AV Mana turret is good enough, mortar too OP, and really a *** to find/take down.
  11. Benton582

What Lassie? Mortars? Like those artillery strikes in Planetside (One)?
  12. Armcross

After dumbing down the pounder it is unlikely indirect fire would be supported bye development tem.
  13. Devilllike

I always wanted mortars but mortars would create spam i am positive for that,but be certain snipers would hunt you down like piniatas just saying
  14. 3punkt14159

The idear is not bad, i like that waepon because i fired some of them in the army by my selfe :). But i think it would be verry hard to fight them, and it would be kind of to hard, fighting en enemy you cant see.
  15. cobaltlightning

There's already an indirect explosive thing you can do with the Engineer.

Get your S carbine (Gauss Compact S, Trac 5 S, Solstice SF)
    Grenade Launcher Rail Slot.
    Ammo kit Ability.

There ya go.
  16. Rikkit

So you mean something like the pre nerfed Grenade-launcher on the Gauss Compact S?

Random NoobToob-Video:
  17. 3punkt14159

This was a nice Launcher, i used the vanu version verry often, but the nerv was so hard, nobody use it anymore.
    • Up x 1
  18. Rikkit

I know, was abusing the **** out of it back in the old days. but after the second nerf i left it alone. it wasn't reliable anymore.
    Nowdays i only use it on my LA if i go for a sundy hunt. (2 c4 + 2 nades = dead sundy)
    underbarrel shotgun/ smoke launcher > grenade launcher

PS: the Nerf was needed. it was to strong.
  19. Scr1nRusher

FTFY
  20. Rikkit

not exatly what i said, but yes the much needed nerff of the the greandelauncher was a hard hitting one.
    But it's better to have a useless weapon than one taht's too strong