Spitfires have a base the size of a Flash.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

2. LodeTria

Your image is broken.
  3. Scr1nRusher

:(

well... I tried to re-edit the OP so you can alteast check the images yourself.
  4. Savadrin

I shall find those, and crash them with my sundy. Definitely the same size then.
    • Up x 1
  5. Mezinov

The Spitfire has such a large base compared to the Mana Turret as it needs to support the extra weight of the complex and advanced electronics that allow it to scan, target, and engage without human intervention.

Fun Fact; Planetside is based in the far future of the Fallout universe, and as such, still use vacuum tubes in their electronics.
    • Up x 5
  6. WeRelic

Holy S***. It all makes sense now.
  7. LodeTria

Looks smaller to me. The leg ends are only going into the tires.
    The Flash is also longer from nose to tail.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scr1nRusher

Check it out yourself ingame.
  9. AxiomInsanity87

Obviously op.
  10. Dennisz125

I don't understand why, tell me a story.
  11. Demigan

Fun fact; If Planetside had anything like modern electronics, the game would consist out of looking at the map and insta-killing anything that comes out of the warpgate/spawnroom with long-range artillery and rocket-barrages, if we haven't invented much neater ways to kill such as nanite-clouds that work like viruses against tanks and living tissue, sickening them and slowly destroying the tanks and body.
  12. orangejedi829

okay
    • Up x 1
  13. Zombo

fixed that for you ;)

@OP, what yre you implying by this? you want it to be smaller, bigger? or what?
  14. Mezinov

The Fallout Universe follows an identical history to our own up until the end of the Second World War. From that point on they begin to diverge culturally and technologically. The denizens of the Fallout Universe, for example, never got over the 'Red Scare'. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Chinese stepped up as the greatest communist threat to democracy. This resulted in the cultural and social mindset of the 1950s continuing well into (our) future.

More importantly, is the technological difference. Following World War II our universe had a huge technological revolution focused on miniaturization overshadowed by the fear of the atom. In the Fallout Universe, this technological revolution of miniaturization never happened - and instead atomic energy became the focus of engineers and scientists. This eventually lead to the development of compact nuclear and fusion generators for use in robots, vehicles, and other day-to-day necessities - but ultimately computers and similar technology advanced much slowly. By the point of the 'Great War' in fallout times, they were just reaching the compactness and complexity of our universes 1970s computers.

In the strictest sense - this makes sense. Miniaturization is often focused on doing more with the same or less power, but when power is viewed as limitless... why bother?

Returning to the culture of the Fallout Universe, the world took a much different path than we are familiar with. Thanks to limitless energy, much of the conflict of the period up until the 2000s was limited to low intensity Democracy v Communism proxy wars. However, this began to shift as in the 2000s unchecked demand and population growth lead to shortages of almost every conceivable resource worldwide (except for power). This lead to civil strife the world over, and the beginning of resource wars.

In the United States, this is most embodied by the Sino-American War (over Alaskan oil reserves) and the annexation of Canada and Mexico to create a democratic "iron curtain". There is also intense civil strife, martial law, police and military firing live ammunition at civilians during food riots, and the beginning of a new plague equal to the black death in the American midwest.

This all ended with the 'Great War' on October 23, 2077. Previously the Sino-American War had ground to a standstill - America had kicked the Chinese out of Alaska, but had stopped making large gains in the Chinese homeland. Once could then consider the 'Great War' really the finalization of the Sino-American War. It was certainly one of the shortest wars in the history of the world.

What is the Great War? The Great War is thermonuclear annihilation of course. It was a two hour nuclear exchange, on October 23, 2077, between all nuclear powers the world over utilizing every nuclear weapon they could. So far, in the Fallout Universe, its never been specified who shot first - only that when the shooting started everyone joined in.

The Fallout Games take place in the period of time a few hundred years after this; when surface radiation has fallen into acceptable limits. I would highly recommend playing them; they are very immersive games - but I feel I have spent enough time laying the groundwork of the Fallout Universe. Everything else from here on will be higher-level.

So, sometime after the Great War, the Earth unites under a solitary government - the Terran Republic. This is likely a long decedent of the New California Republic (of Fallout fame) whose political ideals align almost perfectly with that of the core Terran Republic. We know that even before the Great War, the United States Space Agency (USSA) was working on manned missions to Mars, and much of the technological groundwork was completed.

With the wounds of the great war healed, and mankind united under a single banner, they would turn their sights to space. It is safe to assume technology would only just be advancing beyond what we had at the beginning of the Great War, and these forays into space would largely be based on the developments made before the war. Computers are bulky and unsophisticated, as we would know them, but energy is near limitless.

Eventually the fleet we know eventually arrived at Auraxis would be formed and launched. Regardless of if we follow the canon of Planetside 1 or Planetside 2 - the outcome is the same. The Auraxis fleet loses contact with Earth, finds Auraxis, tries to settle down, find alien technology (the Vanu), and over time all hell breaks loose.

Its at this point, I would like to mention as an aside, that it is canon in Fallout that alien life exists - and it has even visited Earth. Though after the Great War, and more in a "abducting hillbillies" faculty.

The Terran Republic are the spiritual descendants of the New California Republic and those they absorbed.
    The Vanu Sovereignty, so focused on preserving and studying the alien technology, are the descendants of the Brotherhood of Steel - who shared their exact ideals and would have been folded (likely unwillingly) into the TR/NCR at some point.
    Nanite Systems is the clear descendant of the Enclave - who were a shadowy organization of influential businessmen and politicians who felt it was their destiny to rule everything after nuclear annihilation. It would seem, atleast on Auraxis, their wishes have come true.
    And the New Conglomerate - who represents those Free Settlements, Raiders, and other Anarchistic groups who would have been begrudgingly folded into the TR/NCR by way of conquest.

There are certainly technological parallels as well. Power on Auraxis is limitless; clearly the result of mankinds mastery of the atom. The computer terminals and electronics we see are all large and bulky - it would not be hard to see them as slight advancements of 1970s computers.

Our weapons of war are decidedly lacking in guidance and automation technology, and what we do have is rudimentary and slap-dash. I would say it would even be comparable to first-generation technology. Likely made possible by the discovery of the alien technology - which brought us nanites (machines smaller than we could ever imagine) and rebirthing.

Some more direct comparisons;
    The NC Engineer has a device on his forearm that bears a striking resemblance to a Pip-Boy (Fallouts "Portable Computer").
    The MAX is basically Fallout Power Armor
    Like Fallout Robots, our automated devices (Spitfires) are clunky, unintelligent, and unrefined.
    Our vehicles are powered by some limitless gas-nuclear hybrid, and explode into confusingly large nuclear fireballs when destroyed (like Fallout Vehicles)

So it would seem, we are really playing a game set in the far future of the Fallout Universe - where those grudges formed in the wake of the Great War have opened anew on a far away world.

There you go Dennisz125. I hope I crafted an interesting story for you.
    • Up x 5
  15. Zombo

wow, posting something like this in a Scr1nRusher thread feels like kind of a waste...

maybe make your own post for it? :D

Seeing these WW1 type of weapons being used in PS2 in a far future makes so much more sense

AFAIK, in the fallout universe the transistor was never invented, which is why everything electric and computational is so frickin large, right?
  16. Dennisz125

Thx
  17. WeRelic

It makes even more sense now :eek:

I'm not much on slashfic, but this is awesome. I'm with Zombo, it deserves it's own thread.
  18. King Feraligatr

That Fallout AU leading into an AU PS1 or PS2 is interesting. Also, fun fact: T-Ray worked on the original Fallout games as an artist before becoming an artist for both PS1 AND PS2. So similarities between Planetside and Fallout aren't exactly unexpected and farfetch'd.