[Suggestion] Light assaults should have access to the battle rifle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AxiomInsanity87, Sep 20, 2015.

1. AxiomInsanity87

It's the sound of a free kill most of the time.
  2. CMDante

Battle Rifles aren't good, so go ahead and give them to LA.
  3. AlterEgo

I'm in, man.
    :cool:
    • Up x 1
  4. Call-Me-Kenneth

for nc lights both the x11 and the razor are great at mid ranges, but i rather get close. i don't play Light enough to be sure about this, but i try not to ever engage past CQC, so guns like the 7F are much better.

at mid range i rather be playing a heavy, since at those ranges the chances of having return fire are much greater. and if im flanking, SAS infil.
  5. Sulsa

No to battle rifles but yes to scout rifles.

*edit*
    Scout rifles do more damage than battle rifles? Good grief that makes zero sense :eek:

So I guess I need to say 'yes' to battle rifles too...? I just don't know anymore...
  6. AxiomInsanity87

Scout rifle would be taking it a bit far but i wouldn;t complain lol
  7. Taemien

Like a Carbine with the selector on semi?

I don't see why we couldn't let them have the Battle Rifle.. but it won't change much for the class. They need something that allows them to be used in greater numbers in squad/platoon play.

LA's make a decent directive weapon farmer, but not much else.
  8. Erendil

The only thing that's keeping the LA from being viable at long range combat is the lack of a long range weapon.

The Devs originally envisioned LA to be a close range class and gave LA close range weapons to fit that role. But that doesn't mean they couldn't be successful in long range combat if given a Battle or Scout Rifle since nothing else specific to the class really screams "Close Range Only."

I for one would love it if LA had access to Battle/Scout Rifles.
  9. AlterEgo

They need to be a more mobile assault. BRs won't cut it. Maybe a rocklet rifle, a grenade launcher, a speed bubble, something that makes him look like a badazz. If the HA is the standard frontline damage soaker/dealer, then the LA is the guy you DON'T want running around in your lines.
  10. Kristan

If you want to go for long ranges maybe you should pick a class that is actually suited for it - an infiltrator? I don't know what stops you from that, religious beliefs? Or lack of jetpack?

I don't understand why it should have long range weapon? LA is stormtrooper who was designed to strike the enemy where they doesn't expect.

Yet again, if you're so desperately want that long range capability then use Blackhand.

I'd say LA needs a close range AV weapon, like Roklet, not a battle rifle.
  11. Taemien

BR will help, like Iridar said earlier it would give them a means of defending themselves and being useful in open field fights. I use a BR on my Engie and HA in such fights. But they do need something else.

HA's are the focus of any assault and the backbone of any defense. Which is an elegant way of saying the same thing about both attacking and defending. As everyone who's performed coordinated teamwork assaulting or defending a point... You use Heavies to provide the focus. They have large volumes of fire and draw fire onto themselves with their glowing shields. Medics support them with heals/rezes while engies keep them topped off with ammo and provide cover fire with their turrets. You have one or two infils for the darts/sensor. And then we have LA's.. which do what exactly?

And therein lies the issue. When capturing a base or staving off a capture.. they have little reason to be present.

Battle Rifles will help them get to the control points and other objectives.. but what are they supposed to do once they get there? They're great for clean up duty, getting beacons, and that sort of thing. But I think their potential is wasted there.

And they already have great tools. SMGs, Shotguns, Carbines... if we add Battle Rifles.. what would that do? It helps.. but doesn't solve the issue.

Base design is the issue of LA's. It needs to have more three dimensional movement just for them. Corridors and chutes that only they can navigate. Right now they have to enter the same doors as everyone else in most bases. But what if it wasn't like that? Ideally I'd love for an assaulting force to want to take the same number of HA's and LA's. Perhaps that is the answer. Give them more of the element they thrive in.
    • Up x 1
  12. Erendil

You're completely missing the point. LA IS suited for long range combat. The only thing it's missing is a weapon to go along with it.

Because a jetpack + long range weapon offers a unique playstyle that can't otherwise be duplicated. Because it will add more variety to the battlefield. Because it will give LA a new playstyle and add depth to the class. Because it will allow LA to more fully take advantage of their jetpack. Because it will let those who like semi-auto weapons use a decent one without having to give up a jetpack to use one if they don't want to. etc etc.

True. But this has nothing to do with what range they're attacking from. Infils strike the enemy where they aren't expected all the time, and they do it from 300m.

From what I've read it seems to be a poor substitute for a decent long range rifle. The Blackhand feels quite clunky in comparison to other semi-auto rifles. The recoil on the model animation is so extreme that I find it hard on the eyes to use it for any length of time at high ROF.

C4? :p

Srsly, who says it has to be either or? Why not Rocklet and Battle Rifle?
  13. VonStalin

Giving long range weapons like BR to LA would be mistake, this class would be OP.
  14. Kristan

I have to disagree with all that. It's like giving a sniper rifle to TF2 pyro.

Jetpack has nothing to do with long range engagement. If you want to get on high ground - use Valk, ESFs or ATVs.

LA never meant to be for long range engagement. And it should stay that way. Period.

Otherwise we're gonna make classes all blend, capable of doing everything, this going to be stupid. Classes should be classes.
  15. Beerbeerbeer

Battle rifles would be better than scout rifles IMO.

If not that, then give LA a tool.

Personally, I would prefer a unique tool. Maybe a lift or teleport pad for other classes, but it has to be set up at both spots. Or a motion sensor that only works while equipped. Or EMP traps. I don't know, anything. It doesn't necessarily have to be unique, but something.
  16. Flag

I don't see why not (well besides how the Blackhand is already available), but the BRs are still bad, and not exactly rich on ammo....
  17. Erendil

I've never played TF2, but if it's anything like TFC, you had zero choice on what weapons tu use once you chose your class. So no, it's nothing like you say.

Jetpacks are independent of engagement range. They have nothing to do with short, medium, or long range. Which is kinda my point. There's nothing about the class that says it shouldn't be allowed to grow into long range fights. You know, to evolve as the game evolves.

Exaggerate much?

I see there's no point in continuing a discussion with you given your incredibly inflexible view.

Giving Battle/Scout Rifles to LA would add variety, complexity, more unique playstyles, and more FUN to the game but apparently you don't want that. You're simply too close-minded to even give it a consideration, even though this is an ever-changing, ever-evolving game. But because some Dev back in Beta decided LA was meant for short/medium range fights, you won't look at any other possibility. So I guess I'm done w/ this thread..
    • Up x 1
  18. Kristan

Too much flexibility is a bad thing. You should understand that. That's why people cried over Liberators, they are too flexible to engage any kind of enemy at any range with no downsides.

And there is no meaning of giving LA long range weaponry since that's the role of an Infiltrator.

Restrictions is what makes this game "rock-paper-scissors", as it supposed to be, not "rock-rock-rock", which was PS1. Where everyone were able to do anything with their loadouts. So people may run around with MCG and sniper rifle with HA armor. That's dumb as all hell.

LA meant to storm buildings, bases, flank the enemy. Not a bloody ranger with a battle rifle! That's not LA role. It's Infiltrators role.
  19. Taemien

Why should class determine range of engagement? You're against BR on LA's but for the reasons they already have options for ranged attacks.

Look at the NC LA's Carbine, the AC-X11. Flip the selector to Semi and its already capable at long range shots with careful aim. Not quite the 225 damage of a BR, but has a larger ammo pool and can flip back to auto when it gets into a close scrap.

I don't believe Class should determine range. I think Weapon should. And I see no reason why a LA shouldn't have a Battle Rifle or Scout Rifle for long range engagements. They don't get stealth so they won't be better at long range than infils. They don't get shields, so they can't trade shots with Heavies, they don't get medic tools so they can't heal tank through a shoot out with a medic, and they don't get all the options of the engineer. So I really doubt they'll get an edge here. Jump pack has questionable use in open field engagements. I know this because I pick them off all the time with my archer.

I love how you say an LA's role is to storm bases with their jump pack. You do realize that with a Galaxy, MAXes can and do, do the same thing? That Jet Pack ain't worth a damn. The ONLY redeeming quality of LA's and the main reason why they are used is C4. Jump Jets and C4 synergize well. At least until the the enemy gets smart, Gal drops and takes your control point. Then your C4 counts for nothing because they will just shoot you as you move through the doorway.

The same Door EVERYONE else traverses. Now.. if the control points had upper shafts and corridors leading to it that could only be accessed by jump jets, then you'd have a point. But they don't. They should. I wish the did, but they don't.

Think about it, the perfect squad setup revolves around the heavy. High Volume of Fire and Shields (which double as a 'shoot me now' beacon as well as protection). You have several of them. They are backed up by medics who stay behind cover and revive as needed. Everyone backed up by Engies with ammo packs and turrets that provide more high volumes of fire. An infil who puts down a dart. And... well MAXes to replace some of the heavies.

What about Light Assaults? What purpose do they have running around outside playing sniper and ESF bait? Flanking? Why the hell does your squad need to flank for? You're on the point. The enemy knows where you are at. The point's flipped, you can't hide that fact. What you need is for those players to be useful. 25-40 round (depending on empire), .5-.55s carbines aren't going to cut it. They should be Medics, HAs, or Engies, or even MAXes if Gal drop support is available.

Sometimes, sometimes LA's can be useful by jumping on top of crates and boxes at control points. But that is few and far between. I'd wager many of you can't name any bases outside a Techplant where that is useful. No one takes a LA to do that. They took an LA and happened to find a base they were assaulting that had it. It was incidental.

This is why they should have access to BattleRifles. It gives them something to do until they get on point, once they get up to the base they can switch weapons at a sundy or switch classes. But this is a bandaid fix. And not a great one.

Base design needs to be reworked, giving LA's an edge indoors. Corridors and shafts that only they could traverse. More ways to traverse levels in bases (inside) so that different jump jet types give different advantages. Do it enough so half the HA's you see in coordinated assaults are replaced by LA's. That would make for some interesting gameplay.
  20. Kristan

It's not about range of engagement, it's about class role.

Yeah, let's give LA a medic tool next. Or cloak. Or overshield. And rocket launcher. And mines. Because why not?

You wanna snipe stuff - go infiltrator!

Omnipotent classes are bad. If you want to give LA long range weapons I want to have C4 for my infiltrator then!