Can we get a tank buff without sacrificing anything please?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ColdSuit, Jul 19, 2015.

1. CorporationUSA

I stopped with the series at BF3. The vehicles in that game were pretty much perfect imo.
  2. Necron

You're drowning, and your giant metal death-machine can't save you.
  3. Pelojian

Picking HEAT or HE doesn't limit you to only infantry killing the only difference is how many more hits you need to make over the amount of hits you need to avoid from enemy tanks.

IRL Infantry may have AT weapons but I'm sure chingles can enlighten you how many are actually deployed per number of infantry. i'll give you a hint it's low, you want to take out a tank send another tank or aircraft, if you are lucky enough to have a javelin deployed to destory a tank sure you can use it.

Tanks are too vulnerable to infantry and aircraft simultaneously, one of them needs their effectiveness vs tanks chopped down to size and we know it isn't going to be aircraft because infantryside would complain and claim that aircraft are farming them more then they are farming themselves and airside would go ape over any suggestion to nerf them vs tanks.
    • Up x 3
  4. OldMaster80

Sorry but I agree with this guy:

Not about the 30 minutes and the 750 nanites indeed, but buffing tanks under the current resources system would be crazy. I do not have a subscription and I can spawn all the Lightnings I want. I NEVER run out of resources and with my loadout Anti Infantry (C75 Viper, Auto Repair, Fire Suppression, max speed Frame) I can make my K/D take off to the sky any time I want.

If you have a subscription you can spam MBT all day.

Want to buff tanks? Fine with me. But first devs have to complete the resources system and make it such that resources mean something and vehicles are more precious.
  5. Shatteredstar

Maybe we need to go back to having a timed cooldown like the old old days of PS1, then they could be buffed, I mean in PS1 we didn't rock tanks with emp grenades and annihilators or anything..wait we did =p

Good players will always wreck the armor because the INSTANT you make it so that it requires squads to address armor, you also need to implement systems to limit the armor VASTLY. Can you imagine if it took the equivalent of a whole squad of people and special equipment to take down ONE tank? If you got a group of 10 MBTs you'd have a rolling death wave if you didn't get armor pulled, and you'd have to change the tech plant model because EVERYONE would need the availability constantly.
  6. Pelojian

We dont want something like that what we want is one or two infantryman not be able to sneeze on a tank to destory it, any players working together can strike a tank and kill it straight out with rocket launchers, the problem is it's more efficient to just keep trying suicide rushes by one person with C4 then to get a few HAs together to kill a tank.

The risk vs reward ratio favors the suicide rusher, doesn't cost him nothin to respawn, can kill him 5, 10, 20 times and he'll come back he gets you and you enjoy waiting for resources to come back because a single lemming killed you with C4.

Infantry AT weapons should require teamwork to kill tanks, coordinated enemy AT is very effective, the problem is that even smallest numbers of infantry can kill tanks easily.
    • Up x 2
  7. ColonelChingles

In your typical rifle platoon, you get two launchers. Two. For roughly 39 people.

[IMG]

And the much-vaunted Javelin actually isn't all that great. As far as ATGMs go, it's fairly short-ranged... only effective out to 2.5km. Sure it hits hard, but considering that MBTs have cannon/missile ranges of 4-8km MBTs can easily outrange infantry. In other words if you catch an infantry platoon at 3.5km with a tank, they're dead. Nothing they have can hurt a tank.

If we take PS2's distance compression and assume that 300m (the maximum normal render range of infantry) is equivalent to the tank's maximum effective range of 8,000m, then that's a compression factor of 26.7 times. This means that if infantry light ATGMs are effective out to 2,500m in the real world, then in PS2 infantry rocket launchers should only be good for about 94m. :p

For heavier ATGMs that are actually frightening to tanks at range, you'd probably need to go up to the company or battalion level.

Needless to say, sending infantry formations against competent tank platoons is pretty much a recipe for disaster in today's day and age... much less the 29th century!
  8. Shatteredstar

Ideally your team should be trying to prevent those solo death dealers, as should your gunner. Thats a cost of taking dual AV on a MBT for example or always using AP, because you can't respond to infantry as well.

Just today there was a vanguard chilling on a hill to the side of a VS/TR fight, just blowing stuff up and raking in kills, popping anyone that got near him. His positioning and the rest of the zerg's focus to the side let him only get attacked by a single mosquito and myself. I couldn't get near him since he kept good awareness, and his gunner was doing great at shooting the mossie and actually drove it away (which a scythe peeked in and nabbed the kill). He didn't seem to have any issue being on the side of TWO faction mobs and he was alone. Last I saw after I died he was driving off and killed a sunderer on his way out.

It sounds more like you want to rambo with a tank and be able to ignore anything under a certain force level, when the tank already makes you harder to attack for infantry, they can't use their primary weapons, you move faster, you can take multiple hits from long to reload weapons, and with proper equipping you can even pack a small self heal along for the ride to use in a pinch. Tanks and armor is plenty powerful when used IN CONJUNCTION with the rest of the forces (that was you also have a lot of little guys generally shooting at those people who would C4 fairy you, or clearing the mines away, or making it a 'bad idea' for rocket people to shoot you.

And Jiang there illustrates why real life comparisons don't work well for game play. If we took real life style into account..well..the armor game would be dominating everything by shelling everyone from a distance they would have little/no hope to retaliate against.
  9. ColdSuit

Tanks, in no sense of the word, can farm infantry in the current state. HE has been nerfed to the ground, is tinfoil to c4 fairies, and isn't precise to farm a spawn room.
    I've always seen infantry be the main farmers of the game, they crowd around spawns tossing in explosives and grenades. Tanks are meant to be powerful and take on enemy infantry, not the other way around.

But our words are falling on deaf ears. At this rate, no magical update will come save us from our troubles. We have been lied to and cheated.
    • Up x 1
  10. Peebuddy

The only thing that exists solely to farm in this game is a biolab. How can you tell us with a strait face that tanks are the worst contenders with places like biolabs, apparently places barring vehicles turns into the largest farm on auraxis.

But everything said against tanks in this thread you need to have context before ******** that all we do is farm infantry.

We all run AP rounds because splash damage doesn't exist.

We all shell bases from a mile away because we have the damage resistance of a pinata. Sunderers have more god damn tanking power than our own MBTs.

You have the infantryside people to blame, you turned tanks into the monsters you claim we are. We're only as good as our tactical options and right now it's sit back 200 yards away and shell shell shell, if you want us to try something else then change is required.
    • Up x 2
  11. Gremmel

Just Stealth Harrasser instead. It's the new meta, tanks are barely stronger than a Valkyrie, everyone knows that. Why design games well when you can just sell **** based on a cool idea.
  12. Stormsinger

Yep! It sure would be nice being able to use something other then AP... As it stands, AP, Heat, HE are Easy, Medium, and Hard directive-farm modes, respectively. There's simply no point in pulling anything other then AP, save for the occasional Heat / Thermal MBT at night, for ease of visibility.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. Scr1nRusher

2 out of the 3 Tank Cannons are not viable.

Thats a sign of a balance F*** up.
    • Up x 2
  14. Jake the Dog

If tanks were to farm infantry to stat pad then everyone would pull HE/HEAT. Now go to planetsides main page and look at my stats. You want to know what I have aurax'd? AP on all 3 tanks, and HEAT on the prowler to finish my aurax.

My kills last time I checked on my TR connery guy was around 5000 kills with Ap, ~1000ish kills on my HEAT and 300ish on HE.

This would imply tanks sole purpose is not to kill infantry.

I dont even hunt the drivers of the vehicles i kill 9 times out of 10.

Real tankers not HE spammers will hunt vehicles. Granted if your infantry starts firing at me you're probably going to get an AP round to the face, cuz thats how i roll.

Now dont think I dont kill infantry now and then. When the enemy vehicles are dead around a tower. Im going to wait for some hero to try and pull av and then ill blow him to kingdom come.

Tank priorities are always enemy vehicles, thats money for us. In fact when enemy tanks pull HE its an EXTREMELY easy target for heat/ap tanks.

That is all -drives away on auraxium prowler-
    • Up x 2
  15. HadesR

Funny since I remember it being like that in Beta and at Launch .. When HE was it's uber splash dmg killing machine, and Infantry based AV was a lot sparser, vehicles still sat at 200m and shelled , shelled, shelled ..

That style of " play " was common during MBT's strongest days, so it can't be blamed on any nerfs

^ This

Lightnings should be the Weak spammable " tank " while MBT's should be made stronger but rarer ...
    • Up x 1
  16. Scr1nRusher

You can thank Towers with A points inside the Tower Itself.
  17. HadesR

Why ?

Since it happens and happened at non - Tower bases ...

Granted you can blame bad base design but you can't just point a finger and blame Towers.
    • Up x 1
  18. Scr1nRusher

Tower bases were the Prime base design where it happened.

"Tower Farming" exists as a expression & a fact.
  19. Necron

Way to quote me. Next time you quote me, use something I ACTUALLY said instead of making **** up.
  20. HadesR

I disagree .. From my experience it happens at any base with an exposed spawn exit / stupidly placed hills / etc etc etc

The phrase doesn't really stem from the attackers perspective but from the defenders ( As an A point inside allows the defenders a good farm of the attackers ) ... So has little to do with Attackers tank spam