What do you all think of the Tank Mine changes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ronjahn, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ronjahn

I'm talking about how Maxes now set off tank mines.

My Opinion:

In theory:
    Its always good to see things added that are intended to give players more options in setting up defenses around bases.
    Strategic placement of mines and setting traps for max crashes sounds like excellent gameplay and added depth to the outside of combat actions you can do to help you team.

In practice:
    We have given Engineers CQC nukes.
    You can now run into a crowded room full of maxes and infantry and kill everything. Even if you die you end up with an awesome kdr and tons of points.
    You can toss them through doorways that are crowed with maxes and kill the maxes almost instantly as well as their support around the corner because of the giant splash damage associated with tank mines.

In Summary:
    Tank mines aren't balanced around being used in CQC infantry fights. The blast radius and amount of damage leads to cheesy suicide rush gameplay. We already have proximity mines. Engineers can already carry proximity mines. Why do they need a more powerful version of the exact same thing?

What I believe they should do is revert this change. In place of it, simply make current proximity mines more effective against maxes without changing how they work against infantry.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 3
  2. Iridar51

Please. Please explain. Please explain HOW have you played PlanetSide 2 for so long without EVER hearing or seeing C4?
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

In my personal opinion I don't see the issue with MAX being able to explode on anti-vehicle mines. While, yes, an Engineer could run into a crowd of enemies, take his sweet time to throw it and wait for it to take a century to detonate, there's a bit more to it than that. The room is crowded by enemies, what opposing force in their right mind is going to let an enemy blunder in and dump mines in the first place? If that huge crowd of people are incapable of taking out a single suicidal Engineer and allow him to place his mine at their feet, they deserve to die.
    • Up x 3
  4. ronjahn

With 4700+ boom stick kills I'm incredibly familiar with it. Why add another version of it? The exact same version as a proxy mine, except stronger? Just an unneeded cheesy addition to a game already filled with cheesy explosive spam.
    • Up x 3
  5. ronjahn

I see it all the time and I do it all the time now that it's possible. In a hectic CQC fight or a high population crowded tower fight, It's not as hard as you think to stay alive long enough to drop a few mines and end up with like 5-10 infantry kills a pop.
  6. HadesR

Since unlike C4 they are only on a class that

Can't fly
    Doesn't have a class form of " extra " health ( either over shield or medic healing )
    Unlike Prox Mines are not on an Invis class

My thoughts are that people should watch doors more closely ..

Also people might learn how to camp a room properly ... Ie: It doesn't mean door frame hugging to A ) Become Susceptible to them thrown just inside, B ) Hinder those on your own team that want to push out.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dgross

Because regular mines don't work against MAX units. Why should C4 be the only deployable that works against them?
    I shouldn't have to stand near a doorway for hours waiting for a MAX to come along just so I can push the button.

AT mine changes are fine.
  8. Iridar51

To counter MAXes. Hell, the way I see it, people bring doom upon themselves by standing near a MAX. Rockets, C4 and bullets always fly in their direction. Don't wanna die a horrible death? Stay far away from a MAX, both allied and enemy. Shun the skill suit as it deserves.

Your problem is not with mines, it's with suicide tactics. Any weapon or explosive can be used that way, with varying degree of success. You can run in the samy way into a room, throwing frag grenades all around. Or shooting LMG from the hip.
    • Up x 1
  9. FateJH

Exploding the instant that it gets placed because it's near a MAX should be right out, in my opinion. That makes tank mines more of a short-throw grenade than C4. At the least, there should never be a weapon where it's operational requirements are that user has to kill himself with it to make it work.
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

its ok, but the only problem with NC MAX Hacksaw - it a big problem to hit it, so you must get really close :eek:
  11. BlueSkies

I personally love it. Enemy tank mines are getting me a bunch of kills lately :)
  12. FieldMarshall

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  13. HadesR

But it isn't a requirement unless you choose to suicide with it .. All The Max kills I have got with Tank mines have been ones where the mine is placed / hidden and have come without a death to myself ..

Suicide Cheesing isn't a requirement but a conscious choice.
  14. repairtool6

Great change.

Also: i generally dont really respect any infantryman who doesnt wear FLAK.
    So @ OP - wear FLAK and dont worry about this stuff. Direct your whines at other issues..
  15. Dgross

Why wear FLAK when you can just look down?
  16. Chunkalish

You'd be surprised at the number of players who dont see you barge through the door to drop mines at the feet of maxes. Couple of sticky grenades on the way to make players back up and boom....dead maxes.
    • Up x 2
  17. ColonelChingles

Honestly AT mines shouldn't have much of an explosive radius... because most AT mines direct their penetrating power upwards in a small area.

AT mines don't kill vehicles through explosive force... instead you can think of AT mines as almost mini-cannons. They usually explode under a sheet of metal or something, causing the sheet of metal to form into a molten projectile. It is this projectile that penetrates and damages tank armor, not usually the explosive by itself.

[IMG]

Because AT mines work on this principle, it makes sense to give PS2 AT mines a similar damage profile. The area right over the mine should receive the most damage, while the area next to the mine should only receive lesser explosive damage.

Such explosive damage should be able to damage or kill MAXes and infantry, but in general would only deal light damage to MBTs.
    • Up x 1
  18. Dethonlegs

I think the change made no difference at all. Put EOD Hud on your Max and mines (along with C4, claymores etc) light up from miles away.
  19. Danath

Instead of HA with the old AV nades (nerfed) and RL (overall nerf, especially the Decimator) now we have Engies with Rifle and AV mines (who pay dearly for that specialization). Balance.
  20. SirStressALot

You wanna hear my opininon? Really? Seriously? You still wanna hear it? Its called tank mines, not max-mines -> is that enough for you? Playing as max is hard time anyway because of 100000 different methods you can be countered.