Anti materiel rifle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ragnarox, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Jolanar

The weapon is incredibly powerful. It was designed ONLY for destroying MAX suits at range. The fact that it only takes 3 body shots or 2 head shots to kill a MAX is not something that you should just write off as being weak. Remember that a MAX unit costs as much as a tank! For a rifle to destroy a MAX in 3 shots is nothing short of amazing. In my opinion, MAXs will be perceived as underpowered in the coming weeks. DB has gone to great lengths to weaken them and this rifle is the final nail in the coffin:

1. MAXs trigger tank mines
    2. Anti-material rifle addition
  2. AntiFox08

You shouldn't want to just kill a turret, you should want to kill the engineer using the turret. If you kill a turret, fine. that's a bonus, but you should want to kill the engineer. Not much in the realm of infantry weapons will one hit kill a turret, and if you hit a turret and don't kill it, most engis are gonna notice and move. If you can kill the engi, problem solved.

MAX units aren't too much of a nuisance that they need a dedicated weapon to kill them. The FPC on a Magrider is fine for me. It's easier to snipe with a tank than it is a rifle, and it's not too common where you can sneak around and snipe a MAX anyway since he's more than likely running circles or sitting with an engi. I toyed around with the rifle in the VR room. It's strong vs MAXes, but its bolt pull time with or without a straight-pull is so atrocious, it has no attachments other than a scope, and it's easier to shoot down an ESF with an SMG that why would anyone want to use it on anything other than a MAX? Replacing a primary to solely focus a MAX seems like more of a **** than stalker cloak removing the primary.

We're not idiots here. We can see the logic that an anti-material rifle should create a pink mist out of someone no matter where he's hit, as well as punch through armor. But I'm not going to campaign or anything. I had no knowledge of it until a few months ago, tried it in VR yesterday, and have no intention of buying it. I don't have a hardon for MAXes, its damage sucks against real armored vehicles, and anything small-arms fire can damage, I can kill it easier with an SMG than the anti-material rifle.
  3. Ragnarox

So tell me one PRIMARY weapon that is not good at everything? And that is for ONE stuff only?
  4. Wolfsign

bull%§$#.

nobody wants it to be good at everything, we want it to be at least good at something... (preferably killing infantry and maxes.)

the way it is designed currently makes it completely worthless and simply a waste of certs.

its practrically useless against any type of vehicle, it´s still of poor usage against any max who can press a movement key and it's suicide to equip it anyways since it won´t kill infantry.

putting it in the turret slot would be a solution but still a quite mediocre one since the AV Mana simply does a better job.

If they had listened to our feedback even once, it would have never been released the way it is right now.

There is no such thing as a support class, everyone is in combat.... with infantry, lots of them, all the time...

Sidearms alone are rubbish and you know that.

The design is extremely flawed, they are completely locked down in their mindset of a designated anti max weapon, while the only place where a specific anti max weapon would actually be of interest, is in cqb where max crashes happen...

Nowadays anti material rifles are usually in caliber 50. and no they are not able to damage Heavy Armored Battletanks they could barely do serious damage to an apc.

They are mostly used to remove mines or IED's, such a weapon in Planetside only makes sense because max units exist, so what it should be is basically a Precision rifle that is capable of killing infantry and max units but is chambering slower and only available to the engineer (no cloak) to compensate.

According to ingame text the best boltaction sniperrifles already use a 50 cal round, and what they designed here in form of the AMR is more like an old anti Tank rifle from world war two, which also were uncapable of damaging tanks later on.

A .50 BMG round is 12,7 x99 mm

A russian PTRD rifle had a caliber of 14,5 x 114 !!! mm

A projectile of such a weapon is not like a 44 round of a blackhand, not even like the 50 cal. of a Rams .50, it´s a freaking monster.
    If you hit someone straight in the face with such a thing, you would expect him to drop like a wet burlap sack.
    Especially in a game the evolves so much around headshot mechanics.

Its a simple question of logic, it feels wrong, it plays out wrong, it IS wrong, it should be changed.
    • Up x 1
  5. FateJH

This is highly amusing. Where are the people who said they'd be fine with an weapon useful against MAXes, even if it inconvenienced them against pure Infantry classes?
    • Up x 1
  6. Wolfsign

they are busy watching the respawn screen, i guess...
  7. Dgross

Every small arms weapon we have in game (lmg, rifle, carbine). They can't kill tanks, sundies, bombers, or galaxies.

What point are you trying to make?
    • Up x 1
  8. Dgross

Responded in your quote. Honestly your entire post is just exaggeration and hyperbole.
    What I read is that you personally don't like how the weapon is because it doesn't fit your personal playstyle and you're making exaggerated claims to get them to change it based on what you want, without regards to game balance.
    • Up x 2
  9. Ragnarox

Use you anti materiel against my heavy, heck I can kill you with my medic or engie in 1 sec. You won't feel a thing.
  10. AntiFox08

The AMR takes over 20 shots to kill a Harasser and takes enough to kill a Flash even. It's utterly useless against vehicles, and even while useful on MAXes, it has a god awful bolt pull time and still takes 2-3 shots. If a MAX lets himself get shot by one engi 3x, he deserves to die.
  11. Taemien

How does it compare to the Railjack vs MAXes? Is substantially better?
  12. Hatesphere

3 body shot kill...

soo its bad becasue 3 engineers can pretty much keep maxes down within 300m? sounds fine to me.
  13. Taemien

How quick are those shots though? How accurate is it out to range? I'm looking for a whole story here. :p
  14. Hatesphere

then go get one. it seems to work fine for me unless you try to shoe horn it into an anti infantry role.
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

And you could flush yourself down a toilet too. I'm asking questions because I'm considering the weapon and want to know how it functions by those who have bought it. If you don't want to give answers then.. well make sure your water bill is paid up for all I care.
  16. Hatesphere

its not bad, just dont expect anything stellar. its absolute ****e against infantry. its not bad against maxes at range. dont expect it to put anything down in CQC.
  17. BlackSand

When my faction push to enemy base with tank convoy then enemies's AV-MAX coming out ,that is the moment i gonna use AMR or I'm just camping and wait for some max walk across the field. Oh and I prefer HA for close indoor than AMR.
    So i don't have problem with AMR right now.
  18. RykerStruvian

Get a commissioner or blackhand. It's not very hard to use either of those guns and they are both good weapons.

Or just make the AMR kill infantry too so that everyone quits playing this game. It's a stupid suggestion and should really just be dropped entirely.
    • Up x 1
  19. Goretzu

It scares the living **** out of MAXs, certainly, but I haven't managed to get a MAX kill with one due to the re-fire time (and that MAXs all do a road runner impression with Charge after the first shot). I've just been using it with the 4x scope as generally I've found the muzzle velocity is a bit low for to make the higher ones worthwhile (unless the target is AFK). It's ok against ESFs and Flashes, and I've got a few infantry kills...... but it seems to be a very specifically situational weapon that you'd pull specifically, not one you'd ever run with as a default.
    • Up x 1
  20. thebigbortishbort

rather then turning to toilets of the flushing variety , there is always VR to answer your statistical questions on the weapon, feel "free" to try it , since it costs nothing.
    • Up x 1