Next week, can't play without a 64 bit OS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zanthal, Jun 10, 2015.

1. zanthal

2. Liewec123

nooo my windows 98 won't be able to run PS2! oh wait, its 2015, phew! :p
    • Up x 15
  3. AxiomInsanity87

Will I need to upgrade my floppy drive to a disc drive?.
    • Up x 5
  4. Regpuppy

But, I haven't even moved on from 8' floppy disks yet. :eek:
    • Up x 2
  5. JohnGalt36

I have a hard time believing that machines that still run 32-bit OS can even really play PS2.
    • Up x 2
  6. BlueSkies

• Up x 3
  7. Stigma

All modern CPUs that could concievably run PS2 in the first place are 64-bit, so that's not the issue.

For some it is a real issue that they don't have a 64-bit OS and thus won't be able to run the game. And no ... that doesn't mean they are running windows98 as someone else snidely and ignorantly commented above. The very latest versions of windows all come in 32-bit (and for good reasons at that).

So to those people - relatively few as they may be - this is effectively a "f|_|ck you, either buy a new OS or get out". Pretty ****** given that a lot of people have put real money into this game under the direct information by the devs that 64-bit OS was not a requirement.

And then finally the fact that PS2s 64bit version doesn't and never has run well for a lot of people, me included, will be a significant problem. I can run the 64-bit client - but if I have to deal with the constant microstuttering that has forever plagued that version then that's one of the few things that could realistically spell the end of the game for me, as playing like that is nothing but pure frustration.

Not everyone seems to report such problems with the 64bit version, but I've noted that its not an uncommon occurrence either.

I'm not sure what they hope to gain from this. I sincerely doubt that breaking the 4GB limit is an actual issue, and I assume that most code in both versions is 32-bit anyway. If there is any 64-bit code in the 64-bit client at all it is very likely minimal and modular and this is mainly about how you compile the executable afterwards, which is fairly trivial to do in 2 versions. Oh well...

-Stigma
    • Up x 2
  8. HadesR

Post from RadarX on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/39bfa9/notice_regarding_32_bit_operating_systems/
    • Up x 8
  9. JohnGalt36

Being upset about this is like being upset that there isn't a horse & buggy lane on your local highway.
    • Up x 3
  10. Leftconsin

There was a guy a few months ago who posted a video of him playing with about 5fps on his moldy old potato computer.
  11. JohnGalt36

Slideshow games FTW!
  12. Stigma

13. HadesR

From my understand at reading it , it's less to do with the making of cheats and more to do with the H1Z1 anti-cheat system they hope to adapt for PS2 using the 64 bit client.
    • Up x 1
  14. Professor Pasta

Unfortunately for me, I will be unable to play with the new update as well. I have to use the 32 bit client, as the 64 bit always* gets me a G25 error. I'm on a Haswell i5 with 16GB ram running Windows 7 SP1 x64, GTX570 (now a GTX260). Other 64 bit games work fine, such as BF4.

*I have been able to use the 64 bit client exactly once, on the test server, and that was mainly an accident as I forgot to switch the binaries. After an update, G25 errors returned.

64 bit live client works fine on my Haswell i5 laptop with a GT740m card.
  15. Stigma

Microsoft still sells "horse and carriage" (and no doubt will keep doing so for some time going forward). weird. In fact - 99,9% of software is available in "horse and carriage" while only a small subset of software runs in 64bit. Exclusively 64-bit is so rare that I'm having trouble finding a single example of it from memory.

So I guess the whole world - including multinational software-giants are all just hopelessly behind the times huh...
    (that, or most people on gaming forums have no understanding of the actual differences between 32-bit and 64-bit code and are poorly qualified to comment)

-Stigma
  16. Hatesphere

My reel to reel mag tapes are going to be left out of the fun. And I just slapped a whole meg of core memory into my main frame
    • Up x 1
  17. MysticDaedra

Nope. Nada. Not true.

ALL Windows Operating Systems released since Vista have included a 64-bit version. You do not have to purchase it; you simply use your original product key after installing the 64-bit version to activate. Unless you are still running XP, in which case you have no basis for complaint, you should either have already upgraded to 64-bit or need to do so ASAP. There is pretty much no good reason for playing modern games on literally ancient technology; save the ancient tech for the ancient games.
    • Up x 1
  18. ronjahn

Then he probably promptly made another post about how "I emptied an entire clip into that guy and he just wouldn't die WHATS WRONG WITH THIS GAME!!?!??!!"
  19. Ballto21

can i still use my PIII?
  20. n0pax

Looks like Sunday will be an end of the game party for my friends and I. A few of our group of 15 have 32 bit OS so we will all be switching to the PS4 version so we can play together as a result. -15 players Emerald concurrent peak! R.I.P. lolps2onpc servers.
    • Up x 1