HA SHIELD IS OP !!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ReNz0r, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Kristan

my outfit mates complained that they would love to swap to 30 mag guns, but with better accuracy
  2. Ballto21

Medkits, ejectionseat esf/wall jumping/beacons, engies dont either, C4, Battle rifles

Who the hell hipfires anything but smgs and shotties anyway, which they also get access to?

Crutch assaults are subpar and should have such emotions
  3. Copasetic

What are the suboptimal conditions for HA and what percentage of your average base attack or defense is made up of those conditions? As an aside, when is the shield not an advantage?

I can run LA and mow down plenty of bad HAs in a play session just like all of you guys are so proud of doing, but being able to beat worse players despite a disadvantage has nothing to do with balance.
    • Up x 1
  4. qiray12

Its the broken *** medpack that makes a already sturdy class even indestructible( medkits are also broken on other classes but they arent as sturdy). Fix medkits or even redo the damn things and we are gonna see a much diffrent infantry game.
  5. Alan Kalane

It is a question you have to ask yourself, as it comes with time and practice. This is something you have to learn, rather than ask on the forums. It's like asking "When should I use a knight over a rook in chess" and there is no simple answer to that. Too many variables.
  6. KesTro

I still think HA should get a nerf to moving ADS accuracy and/or choose between rockets or shields.
    • Up x 1
  7. Copasetic

That's a nice way of avoiding the question. And it misses the point. Let me put it to you this way, assume you get to choose one chess piece to place on the board against your opponent. You don't know the exact situation beforehand and it could change at any time. Which piece do you choose?

The Queen would be the most logical choice, she performs best in any confrontation. If she loses chances are any other piece would have lost too, and in the majority of situations her advantages would give you the victory.

This is the "problem" with HA. It's an anti-everything class that outperforms all others in combat, in a game where every class is a combat class. There are no support classes in this game, only combat classes with a secondary support role. Unlike, say, WoW where healers are absolute crap in combat and tanks have no DPS.

The shield gets all the hate because it's the most obnoxious component of the class but it's just one piece of an overall bad design.
    • Up x 1
  8. nehylen

Renz0r, the assertions you make in the video (essentially: "learn to aim" and "engage on your own terms") have been mentioned many times already in those heated debates.

At this point i've gotten pretty good at the first one: i tend to play mostly medic/engineer, and my latest auraxium is the T1 Cycler on my new TR char: 31% accuracy/HSR. That's not elite aim, but that's good by most standards. So i know how to aim. I have a >2 KDR as a medic, so obviously i've slayed plenty of HAs, i guess i could make a montage with HA kills from start to finish too. Does that make the engagement even? Also landing those headshots on HAs doesn't only rely on skills alone, but also on how bad flinch penalizes you, knowing that the HA has more margin of error because of his overshield.
    Battle Hardened is pretty much mandatory on a medic for that reason alone.

As for the second point, you're basically saying: you need initiative. Fair enough in the principle, but that's assuming the average HA can't get it for himself either. Out of the other infantry classes, 2 are based on initiative: infiltrator and LA.
    This leaves 2 others which have just as many/few tricks to gain initiative available as the HA. Incidently since a lot of the fighting happens indoor, the initiative advantages of the LA, or even the Infiltrator can be negated to variable degree depending on the circumstances.

Within your video you assume, rightfully so, that the average PS2 player, is an average fps player. True. So why don't you assume that the average HA has just as much flanking ability as an average medic/field engineer player?
    You also overlook the fact that most of the better players tend to play HA, simply because HA does about everything rather well (who needs a medic when you have 4 medkits made easier to use by the overshield?), and because it wins 1v1s and 1v2s more surely than any other class.
    They're not stupid, and know what's needed to perform.

In effect, a lot of the most sought out LMGs are barely worse off, accuracy&controlability-wise in ADS than the ARs which get so much praise. Your own prefered LMG, the GD-22s has a 0.35 starting CoF, which is barely worse than the average generalist AR (0.3), a better first shot recoil than (0.6), and similar horizontal recoil, tolerance, bloom. The 2 things it's significantly worse at are the base vertical recoil and hipfire cone of fire. The first is a non-issue, and the second one is moderate (all of us mostly ADS, though i exploit hipfiring a lot myself).
    So you've got yourself a 50 rounds, slightly toned down AR.

How are you supposed to win on a regular basis, against equally skilled HAs, with a class that's not built for initiative? Indeed you're going to be marginally more accurate with most carbines/ARs, but the guy you're facing may out-smart you just as much as you him. Engineers and medics tend to perform better as defensive classes, the first one because he can secure a choke point (mine, or wisely-placed turret), the second one because the ARs tend to be the most accurate auto guns at range.
    But you know as well as i that defence loses by default, if only because of client-side advantage.

So shield OP? By itself no. HA with shield+50 rounds quasi-AR+4medkits+rockets? Most certainly.
    • Up x 2
  9. AxiomInsanity87

10/10 for effort and hype.

So even after video evidence of 1v1's (and alot not as ha) and a list of solutions presented, you still spout nothing but problems despite mentioned solutions, disregard other stuff and focus purely on problems.

Well done, you get a bronze star.
  10. pnkdth

Well, his solution is just an alternation of the "git gud, scrub"-argument, assuming the HA will always be outplayed. For example, what stops the HA player from using partial cover in addition to the overshield? Why wouldn't the HA play to his strengths? The arguement he proposes in this video is logically fallacious, ie. special pleading.
  11. AxiomInsanity87

So is using x situation in 1v1's as a valid point of reference in a combined arms game based on team play.

I don't where or what level of play the ha nerf scrubs are playing at but when I play with my outfit and roll about 60 of us, the ha dies the most as its the backbone for any fight and has to take out vehicles and aircraft as well

The only place the nerf ha argument holds any weight (if any) is in 1v1's, of which is not what the game is based or balanced around.
    • Up x 1
  12. ReNz0r

Id like to make something clear here because a lot of people tell me that i just stated " get gut"

My point was to say - the Heavy assault is the best thing for 1v1 on open field battles so dont be surprised that you lose fights like that. The shield seems op when you play against a Ha like you are one aswell.

If your not HA you shouldnt play like one and expect to take them out.

That was the point not to insult anybody. People need to understand that whether we like it or not the HA is the best thing for f2f endurance fights and you have to adapt to win against them. You cant just overpower them because its their role to do it. That was the point of the vid not to tell other people they are scrubs. I see many players trying to overpower a heavy which is designed to overpower all other classes face to face.

In short dont try to beat a heavy like your one aswell if your not. If you put into use this concept im sure HA will seem less OP.

Now truth be told this is just a conversation about the shield. whether the HA should have the option to engage everything is a different story but i was not talking about that.
    • Up x 3
  13. Alan Kalane

Well, I would choose the Knight. Seriously. Because in a 1v1 situation it's impossible to catch a knight, even with a queen, as the knight has a unique movement pattern. And that's the kind of advantage you want to exploit.

And for the 1v1 situation in planetside? I'd probably pick SMG infiltrator. Why? Because EMP. Takes down all shields (including overshields for 45s needed to refill) making your target vulnereable. Most heavies prefer an LMG over other weapons so you have the upper hand in CQC. Also infil is very elusive and hard to catch if you play well enough. And if you manage to get him flanked it's basically a free win(unless ur bad)

But this game isn't about honorable duels. It's about getting the upper hand. If you don't know how to get the upper hand over a HA I suggest playing a HA yourself. You know, things like flanking, engaging at appropriate ranges, disengaging when you're under fire... It's basic for all the FPS and you can do these things much easier with a LA or infil. And no, I don't believe in all this "I flanked him but he did a crazy 180 and killed me with half health" bull$hit. If you can't kill an enemy you flanked means you have terrible accuracy. No shield nerf will help you if you can't hit 50% of your bullets.
    • Up x 1
  14. nehylen

A montage can never, by definition, qualify as evidence: it's an opinion, nothing else. The solutions cannot qualify as such, considering they don't involve any specific class ability or specific weak point of the HA, while being highly situational.
  15. AxiomInsanity87

Scroll up, enjoy.
  16. lindatropa

well... in this video i see only one thing! THIS GUY HAS NO RECOIL! try to aim when your aim point jumping and running from side to side...
  17. Iridar51

So you kill a few HAs in a straight up fight. This proves nothing, just shows that either they were otherwise at a disadvantage or that you played that much better.

You can't include own skill into balancing decisions. Yes, HA shield can be overcome with headshots... provided HA has worse headshot skill than you. So that's your solution, then? Everyone complaining about HA shield should just "git gud" and spend countless hours playing the game until they can hit perfect headshots in any situation? What about HA players that do the same?

Whoopsies...

You have to remember, that people like us, with good K/D and accuracy stats, that can outshoot HAs left and right, are actually in the minority. Average player has no chance when going against average HA.

Yes, average players are just that - average. Game should be balanced around majority, to be fun for majority.

I find your choice of words to be insulting. "B***ing"? Really? You have no right to say that since you main HA yourself.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

What would you propose to balance (nerf) the heavy to be in line (homogenised gimmick) with the other classes?.
  19. lindatropa

Actually YESS! or you think that HA must be the strongest?
  20. xMaxdamage

it's always amusing to see how ppl take planetside HAs and compare them to CoD toons
    • Up x 1