-- Solution for the black launcher! --

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by DutchCraft, Feb 22, 2015.

1. DutchCraft

So after a few posts on this forum, and trying many different things people said would work I think I have finally found a solution:

First use this program: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/help-error.215039/#post-3109042 Use it and you see which DNS's the laucnher and planetside are using.

if the IP's are not the same as these:

64.37.171.213 lp.soe.com
    64.37.174.148 lvspsn-liv-l01.planetside2.com
    64.37.169.11 manifest.patch.station.sony.com
    68.232.34.133 pls.patch.station.sony.com
    69.174.204.11 forums.station.sony.com
    69.174.202.136 account.station.sony.com
    64.37.171.29 auth.station.sony.com
    64.37.171.22 planetside2.com

Do this:

1. Open notepad as administrator
    2. In the top bar click 'Open'
    3. Open this file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (If you are in the 'ect' folder and you can't see the file, in the bottom right of the window change 'textfiles (.txt)' to 'all files'
    4. now, you are in the hosts files, type a bracket (#) in front of all the lines that haven't already got a bracket in front of them. Now copy the IP's from above into that file (DO NOT PLACE BRACKETS IN FRONT OF THESE).
    5. save the document (if it sais you haven't got permissions to do that, you haven't opened notepad as an admin)
    6. Open the laucher, it should work now. If it still doesn't work, undo step 4 and 5 to avoid any further problems

I hope it also works for you guys, post below if it worked for you or not.

//Dutch
    • Up x 1
  2. user300115

Thank for your solution. It is weird that this works while the Google DNS thing doesn't.

Something that this important to note is that the hosts file solution should only be used as temporary workaround. The IPs will change at some point and when this happens, everyone who used this solution will be unable to play until he/she deleted or updated the entries.
  3. Quontex

I can say manually changing the IP in the DNS file works, I don;t know about this change specifically but I did something similar about a year ago and it did work to fix the black launcher error.
  4. starlinvf

Then it means the DNS records either lapsed again (which happened last year), or their DNS is redirecting someplace it shouldn't.

Looking at it a bit more, their NS servers are probably down.
  5. Sentri558

Didn't work for me
  6. starlinvf

You need to flush your DNS before that edit will take effect. If you're lazy, just reboot.
  7. Pfundi

Man got it first time today...
    So before I even bother doing the steps OP suggests, may someone explain to me what exactly they do?
    I think they just want to keep me from playing to get the average ping down...
  8. Gretchen

Didn't work for me. Flushed the DNS, still getting the black screen with 'connectivity error'. Oh well, was worth a try.
  9. user300115

Keep in mind that that the servers are just having issues. Most people won't able to connect.

10. starlinvf

its manually assigning DNS resolution rather then letting a DNS server look up an answer. If you don't know what a DNS server is, it translates domain names into IP addresses, as thats how the internet actually exists to computers.

I highly recommend reading up on it, as this knowledge manages to explain almost half of the problems associated with ISPs have when the modems are still up.
  11. DutchCraft

Alright, I'm astonished, I just played for about 3 hours. Quit the game, and now it's the same as before :/ The IP's in the hosts file are still good, but I get a black screen again. Please DGC get your ******* monkeys in line an actually make this game work
  12. GalaxyKillers

Its sunday I want to play but BLACK Screen OMG i want to cry
  13. OgotaiOne

Ive played PS2 for a month straight and NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER AND NEVER CHANGED ANY PC SETTINGS AND NOW THIS **** FIX YOUR GAME.
  14. OgotaiOne

WHy do these issues appear when its obviously not on my end?

I cant even redownload and go around Steam from a clean install it just black screens anyway..

Horribad company
  15. Undecided

Well...this sucks. Just yesterday, I had downloaded the game through steam, and this happens...*sigh*.

Does anyone have any idea how long this'll take to get over with?
  16. RebelT2i

Thank you, DutchCraft. Your post helped me solve the problem. However, they are down for maintenance so I still have to wait x)
  17. Pfundi

My time on PS2 tought me not to wish to much. So dont expect it to be this evening.
    Anyway, welcome to Planetside. I recomend taking a look at Wrels channel as he gives nice beginner cert lines for all classes to get you started: http://youtube.com/warpathwrel
    I also recomend Iridar51s videos and his gunplay guide for beginners. That will give you more insight and helps a lot:

http://ps2guides.besaba.com/performance
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/gameguide
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/mechanics
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/
  18. SolemnSeraph

Although SOE [Daybreak] is known for service issues, you can't expect things to never break.

Also for Steam users:
    Steam's data files for PS2 are obsolete. Do not try to validate through Steam or it will re-download an ancient version. All 10GB. Then you'll have to re-DL it again when the launcher craps itself laughing at your antique data. Only validate via the launcher and update the launcher via the main site.
    • Up x 1
  19. Westmountain

For as long as i can remember, there has always been an issue like this that occur randomly or at times like this when servers happens to be down for some reason. I don't think that every user has to fix it themselves every time this happens, as much as it is frustrating it's up to the ps2 related team to fix this issue if they wan't to keep their "players"..

Nothing is as easy, as to connect to a game and play these days it seems.
  20. westli

ok i'm not the best in programming but those clear instructions worked which i'm amazed it did

rock on dutchcraft