The GLORIOUS Vehicle Buffs... and Why They Suck.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Alarox

An astounding amount of battles devolve to where one side outnumbers the other 2:1?

Blame the Lattice for zerg funneling.
  2. AlterEgo

Fights should evolve as following:

Infantry meetings.

Small fire fights.

Evolving skirmishes.

The arrival of reinforcements.

Tanks begin to arrive (For BOTH sides, not just one).

Battle becomes massive.

More people arrive.

All hell's loose!
    • Up x 1
  3. AlterEgo

What the devs fail to understand is that vehicles STILL one hit kill infantry.
    Infantry can not, on the other hand. So, they might as well buff the Heavy's capability to fight vehicles, because it is becoming increasingly apparent that "excessive lethality" was not excessive at all. If only they hadn't nerfed vehicle AI...
  4. Xind

I do. But that doesn't negate how frequently a fight (whether good or not) comes to a screeching end when one side Vehicles the crap out of the other.

I have never in two years of play seen that occur. It would be cool, though.

In fact, I dare say the fight happens in the opposite way.

Enemy Vehicle Zerg impacts Base defenses.
    Zerg either totally decimates defenses and then camps spawn room _OR_
    Zerg is shattered by defenses and breaks without even an attempt at an assault without the vehicle zerg.

The best vehicle combat I see is when an attacker has 2-3 tanks and the defender has none, but has Heavies rolling AV. It's not so many tanks they can casually cover each other, but it's enough that the enemy MUST deal with them or the attackers will win the outside areas without any contest.
    • Up x 1
  5. battlegoose

As long as the devs refuse to build proper bases that aren't located in a gully or next to an incredibly convenient hill, tanks will spend more time farming infantry by shelling bases at 200m rather than actually helping.

Why do you think infantry LOVED the old Crown? It's not because it was a meatgrinder, it was because it was one of the FEW places vehicles couldn't do CRAP to you. You could run around and fight with little worry about getting killed by some Prowler shelling from 2 hexes away. The only real hill was the one north of Crossroads and even then you couldn't last long once the ESRL's and AV turrets came out.
    • Up x 1
  6. AlterEgo

It really would. In real life, infantry are sent as scouts, making sure that there are enemies in the field. Once found, the infantry hold their ground, establish a foothold, and radio HQ. While reinforcements await deployment, the scouts defend their foothold against attacking storm troopers, who are usually equipped with ARs, grenades, and rocket launchers. Reinforcements finally arrive, and the defenders begin to morph into the attackers, pushing the enemy back. The enemy, seeing as to how the situation is becoming dangerous, radio their own HQ for more reinforcements. As more infantrymen see themselves pinned down, armor is resorted to in order to break the gridlock. After a few hours, the side with more tactical deployment of manpower, strategy, and technology, is the winner.

So, in summary:
    Buff Lasher.
  7. battlegoose

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ure/strangest-military-bases-gallery#slide-18

Hey Higby, notice how the ONLY base out of those 18 that is located next to a hill (mountain in this case) is actually built INTO the hill and not NEXT to it?

Take a hint, REMOVE THE HILLS NEXT TO BASES. Bases should have nice clear LoS's and not be missing 30 of view because of a 10m high hill that's 15m outside the spawn room. We in the real world call that lacking all common sense.
  8. ronjahn

Nice assumptions you make there. I'll make one too, which is probably a lot more accurate:

You have spent close to no time in a MBT, died quickly in the ones you have pulled, and have absolutely no idea what your talking about
  9. AlterEgo

In summary:
    Bases should be ON the high ground, not the other way around! Why do you think old Quartz and the current one is still a pain? Well, give you a hint...

The magical facility called Hvar something something stands RIGHT above it, and is easily accessible by vehicles. If vehicles (Even the freaking Magrider, for all I care) were not able to traverse steep angles, then I'd call it a win. Vehicles can kill us easily at longer ranges; what good do RLs do at No-Man's-Land at the rocky area Indar Ex happens to be located on? Plenty of cover for vehicles to fire, reverse, repair, and continue.
  10. vanu123

Tanks were already nerfed against infantry months ago, now they are getting buffs to balance them out. Tanks are finally going to be a forced to be reckoned with rather than rolling (or floating) certs for infantry.
    • Up x 3
  11. vanu123

So? Pull armor/flank around. Besides tanks can't capture objectives.
  12. Alarox

One of two possibilities:

1.) Reinforcements came, you lost because you're outnumbered.

2.) The enemy pulled vehicles and your side didn't even pull AV so you lost the outside of the base.

I don't see the problem with either. In the second case you really haven't lost since you control the inside of the base but your enemy has their forces split into vehicles outside which are doing nothing.
  13. AlterEgo

Bro.
    Vehicles can OHK infantry.
    Infantry can not. That is the mentality many seem to forget. Also remember that in a fight, vehicles have more fire power, more health, more repairs and survivability, and 35% of the time, the same exact amounts as infantry in the area.
  14. PhoenixError

Not really on topic but remember the group I used to play with way back when, we almost never went to the Crown (and we were mostly infantry from what I remember) because it was a meatgrinder.

But yeah, not too excited about the tank buffs, the first thought went back to why I stopped playing Planetside 2 eventually. It was a game of armor zergs and getting farmed by tanks and sometimes air. Still see now and then armor and/or air zergs but doesn't feel as helpless as then (though it is annoying when you put 7-10 rockets in a tank and it does nothing at all, at least with air you get XP for the damage and they'll (usually) bugger off for a couple minutes). It gets really, REALLY, annoying when you have a tough fought battle over a base with pretty even numbers and finally win...then the other side pulls a ton of tanks and zergs across the land for a good while. Worse when the population is low, had one it was a 1-12 for both sides (and really maybe a 6v6 at best) and they pull two tanks, really pissed me off to be honest (FFS it's a 6v6 at best!).

Anyways got a bit rant/off-topic but yeah the base design is better then the armor spawn camps of old (guess some still exist though) but hardly good. Doesn't help that anything more then 1 or 2 tanks seems to have little to no fear of infantry to begin with and seems the goal is to make that even more the case.
  15. Gibstormv2

Really?? You can't get lots of kills with a tank against infantry???
  16. FBVanu

First, 'cover fire', suppressing the enemy, that is helping.. it helps a LOT. it keeps my team's Sunderer alive.. which keeps our infantry spawn close to the base, which allows our infantry to capture the base..
    without my tank providing that cover fire, our Sunderer would melt, our attack would stall, we would not be able to capture the base...

Second, veterans of this game do not get farmed. If infantry players believe they are getting farmed, cheesed, OP. blah blah blah.. that means, most of the time anyway, that they have not figured out yet, how to play infantry in Planetside2.
    If my tank gets blown to bits by C-4 , most of the time, that is because I didn't pay attention.
    If you get blown away by my tank shell, most of the time, that is because you didn't pay attention.
    If you get blown away over and over and over by tanks, if you feel that you are getting 'farmed'... then you should talk to the veterans of this game, who hardly ever get farmed.
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

HA has access to c4, so stick it to enemy tank and finish it with RL - that's what HA supposed to do.
  18. ColonelChingles

Hey Goose, notice how the ONLY base out of those 18 that has walls is only surrounded by puny little piles of sandbags that would hardly provide any protection from tank, air, or artillery fire?

Take a hint, REMOVE ALL WALLS SURROUNDING BASES. Bases should be completely exposed to all tank, air, or artillery fire because we're not working with Medieval castles anymore. There's no point in building fortifications or even defending the inner perimeter of a base because at that point the enemy can just level your base (and anyone in it) if they so feel like it. If you've let the enemy get into artillery/tank range and you have no reacting defending force, then you might as well kiss that base goodbye.

We in the real world call that lacking in all common sense.
  19. Gibstormv2

People won't want to spend 200 resources to get nothing.

C4 needs to be reduced in price big time.
  20. johnway

I would like to see some sort of BF style vehicle disable features. It would certain make things more interesting and vehicles although have more health and are tougher nuts to crack, once disabled they become increasing sitting ducks the longer they stay disabled as they can't reverse away to repair but have time for other engineers to help salage the situation. Hell i wouldn't mind seeing ESFs taking disable damage where their machines slowly start to fail and drift towards the ground. Pilots can either disengage and make risky landings and repair it, bail from the vehicle or die.