CPU Bottleneck! [ Blue CPU ]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by FPS0Amir, Dec 23, 2014.

1. FPS0Amir

Hi all;
    I usually play PS2 on ultra setting and im getting +100 in small battles and around 70-80 in medium battles.
    but as soon as i get into really big battles with over +200 ( sometimes with + 100 ) players, my fps drops to 40-50 (even 37) and rarely goes to 60..
    EDIT: Lowering the setting does not help in the big battles. and disabling the shadow helps only a little.

I always see BLUE [CPU] sign next to my fps counter and i know it means that the performance is limited by cpu
    i just wanted to know if it is usual or not and anyone else is having that CPU sign.

my rig is:
    ASUS Z97-A
    Intel Core i5 4690k running @ 4.3Ghz + deep cool frost twin
    8 GB of 1866 RAM
    ASUS R9 280X CF ( playing ps2 with a singe one )
    Corsair RM 850w
    WD 1TB

i don't think that my cpu is that bad tho..
  2. As1mov

I have the same issue and I have an i5-2500k 4.3Ghz. Players with modern i7's have said the same. I don't know if it's due to an optimization problem or if its because the largest battles are just too complex for any current CPU to run (I doubt that though)

I haven't changed my settings around too much, but as you say even reducing the quality does not help much and I personally am not willing to play at low settings so I just avoid large battles as much as I can :)
  3. Cheetoh

You describe exactly what's happening to me since the Dec 18 patch.

Asus Z97
    i7-4790k
    GTX-980

Before the patch, I had no problem running the game on ultra.

After the patch, even with low settings, my frame rates dip to around 40 during skirmishes, which is ridiculous. By comparison, I get constant >120 fps in BF4 on ultra @1080p.

Also, before the patch, I could set the graphics to very low and see frame rates above 200 in places like VR or warpgates. Now, its like the game ignores the MaximumFPS=250 variable and is hard capped at 140. No matter what settings I use it will not go above that number.
  4. FPS0Amir

Thanks for the feedback guys, so it's pretty obvious that ps2 is causing it. although the optimization isn't that bad if we compare it to other big budget games with even less players atm..
  5. Cheetoh

I disagree. Getting a patch that cuts your frame rates in half is pretty bad.

From a optimization standpoint, the game is a POS.
  6. Aldaris

I have same CPU and I get 90+ FPS.
  7. GothicNightmares

Aldaris do you get those frame rates in huge fights though?

I am on an i5-3570k with a gtx980 slix from asus with a 1980-1080p resolution using benQ 22" monitor with 144hz refresh rate.
    mother board is a p8z77-VLK and I get 100+ frames doing nothing and small battles but huge battles I am all over the place from staying at 100 frames to even going to 50.... what is this crap?
  8. Bruhja

its funny how my cpu is only under 30% load but is somehow not fast enough.

Something tells me its planetside that is the bottleneck.
  9. Smagjus

i7-4930k @4.2GHz and low settings nets me the same or slightly lower performance. This didn't change for me with this patch. So it seems to be normal.

You probably rely too much on what you see in task manager. Only the total load on the CPU gets displayed somewhat accurate. The single thread load is not close to being accurate because Windows keeps shifting the thread across the cores. Which means that even without the task manager reading 100% for any thread one or more threads could be maxed out.
  10. FPS0Amir

ps2 is not taking advantage of all the cpu cores we have and that's the real issue.. i think no game does except a few.
  11. Aldaris

Yep. 96vs96 lows of 70 highs of 90 and GPU bound. At Warpgate my FPS is at my refresh rate of 110 and CPU bound.
  12. FPS0Amir

what is your full specs? and OS you use. mine is 8.1 already
    +have you done any optimization so far? what kind?
  13. AschelPuddel

780 Windforce OC
    SSD hosted
    8GB 1866MHz RAM

50+ players drops FPS rate to sub 60, often down to 45. 200+ players brings it to 25-40, depending on where I rotate the looking-glass. Playing longer than 1 hour piles up so much RAM that I must restart my system.

I've run PS2 on a completely clean system with the specs above plus slight overclocks (Just Win 7, drivers and PS2) and I get nothing that can be compared to this. This smells too funky.
  14. TX1R222

DX12 or Mantle should fix the problem or better engine... but as you can see low power (25W) CPU in PS4 will be able to run this GAME just because of better low lvl API
  15. Aldaris

ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
    4690k with Boost clock at 4.4ghz
    8GB 2133 memory
    290x GPU
    Win 7

I've removed effects such as flora or shadows simply because they're effects I don't notice in a MP game.

Trust me, it's always confused me. The only time I've had bad performance is when I re seated my fan and cooler the wrong way round on my previous i7 920 system nearly two years ago. Once I fixed that I had a constant 60 FPS regardless of fights. PS2 has never ran badly for me.
  16. Smagjus

70FPS still sounds a little high in 96vs96 but it makes more sense now. You probably don't run max render distance or?
  17. Aldaris

Most people turn those down or off including render distance. My settings are pretty common.
  18. The Original Ace

Man, you guys complaining about 40 FPS?! 40 FPS is what I have my "MaximumFPS=" set to! I get 18-22 in these big battles! I did find some settings to alter that gave me 35-40 in some circumstances where I used to get 20, but in the absolutely massive fights I still can't get above 20.

Ya'll do know the human eye cannot discern more than 60 fps right? So anyone who says, "Man I need 120fps I can't play the game in the 60's" needs to turn their FPS monitor off, because you're getting the placebo effect.
  19. Aldaris

Oh good god. Yes the eye can discern that high. Since when did 60 become the new 30 when it comes to the myth about what the human eye can see?
  20. Cheetoh

There is a very noticeable difference between a 60Hz monitor and a high refresh monitor, especially one that is gsync.

After going from 60Hz to 120Hz and now a 144Hz gsync monitor and seeing how smooth it is, there's just no going back.