MAXes are nothing but easy KD padding tools that make infantry combat suck for everyone else

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonmortical, Dec 4, 2014.

1. LT_Latency

The should take Charge away from maxxes.

Maxxes should be ALWAYS be slow and be able to be picked apart if not supported or caught out of position. I use charge as my "Oh crap button" and run back to my eng for repair if I get into trouble
    • Up x 2
  2. z1967

No, but I thought you would just reply in seriousness and save me some time.

Armar has an amount of infantry play time so low I can't even see it. The only weapons with kills over 50 are either MAX or Lightning weapons.

NCArmar has been using HA and Medic the most, so the most kills are done with Infantry weapons. No MAX stuff here.

Conclusion: lol, MAXes are a crutch.
  3. CursoryRaptor

I'm sorry, but all I see here is criticism without any solution presented except an implied "get rid of MAXes".

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet?
    • Up x 1
  4. Rayden78

Basically every vehicle is a K/D padding tool, maybe even every weapon ... most fair gameplay would be if everyone uses a knife.
    • Up x 1
  5. LibertyRevolution

No, the most fair gameplay would be to start everyone with NS weapons, then let you cert into a more faction specific weapons.

Maxes should not be AI equipable at all, and their AV weapons should have a TTK of like 5+ secs on infantry.
    Infantry should be able to run away from maxes, heavies should be able to stand their and tank the maxes damage while rocketing them.
    Maxes should be the counter to vehicles and air, not to infantry.

In an AI role, Maxes should be purely a tanking unit, there to absorb bullets for the infantry behind them, not solo murdering machines.
    • Up x 1
  6. MasonSTL

With out them this would just be another shallow twitch shooter. They add another level of strategy and to the game. A force multiplier is there to disrupt the normal meta of who can shoot who in the face faster. Now I am not saying that they are in a good spot, god knows I have had enough of the MAX crash defense. But taking out of the game is just lazy. And saying that there is no point to them is ignorant to the fact that players don't want to use actual counters to them. So you know how effective smoke is against a MAX crash? It amazes me that players get pissed when smoke is used even though it is a great way to disrupt a MAX.

The problem with force multipliers is the player base thinks that they should be able to defeat them solo. **** there are so many ways to take down a MAX in no time at all with two people it boggles my mind that people have a problem with just a few of them. If Heavies used concs more appropriately, if infils used EMPs more appropriately, if engees used smoke more appropriately we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hell just last week the outfit I am in stopped a MAX crash with just smoke and NV.
    • Up x 1
  7. Rayden78

Why that? It's not like Planetside is a game where each unit has to be balanced against each other unit.

It's combined arms, MAXES cost resources, you cant pull another vehicle or another MAX if you have ****** it up and your max is down. 3 Infantrists can easily take down a MAX with a little bit of coordination and/or intelligent play.
    • Up x 1
  8. Fleech

about 6 days ago i blew some certs i had nothing else to spend on the blueshifts and extended mags. my very first run with the blueshifts netted me a 36 kill streak.

the entire time i was mowing people down like a german gunner on D-day i was wondering why maxes NEEDED to be this powerful. no one mentioned just how mundane the feeling of these massive max kill streaks felt either. it was just boring, probably because it wasn't very challenging or engaging.
    • Up x 1
  9. Dunkarooo

Congrats this has to be best example of butthurtv about MAXes I have ever seen. Infantry can run away from maxes in many cases. Do you really think people would play a max to be some sort bullet shield that does no damage? We are talking about a game were the average player doesn't even repair as an engi, doesn't heal as a medic, doesn't sheild as a heavy, etc.

I thought SOE was bad at balancing MAXes but if you were in charge then the butthurtsg would be happy and noone would pull a Max AT ALL... how can a max take out vehicles and aircraft if a single infantry can completely demolish them. Unless you have a dedicated squad carrying you then you would be effectively saying that maxes should sit in spawn rooms and dark corners of the map and never let themselves be seen by infantry who will massacre them.
    • Up x 1
  10. WTSherman

I usually don't have too much trouble with AI maxes (but then I'm a tanker/sundy driver), but I do notice that there seems to be a huge gap between Blueshifts/Mercies and all other MAX weapons.

The difference between 2/2.1 CoF on stock MAX AI and 250 cert MAX ai (for both TR and VS) and 1.2 (is that right? I think it was around there) CoF on Blueshifts/Mercies is just huge. Plus they have higher RoF and less dropoff than their stock/250 cert counterparts.

I don't know if NC has a similar situation with their shotguns (they're all short-range, mattocks are just... less so) but it seems if you don't have 2000 certs to sink into Blueshifts/Mercies, you're kind of handicapped as a TR or VS MAX.

Though Onslought on the TR might compensate with sheer rate of fire, but you need 2000 certs for that too.

One problem NC does have though, is no matter what shotgun you pick you NEED 1000 certs for extended mags.
  11. Fleech

i was just shocked at the amount of damage per shot they do considering their range. its even weirder considering they don't require pinpoint precision. you just place the cursor vaguely around the target, throw a few rounds at them and they're dead. i also noted a complete lack of recoil. it was literally just point and click to cause cert gain and frustrated players.

i also find it a bit odd that a clunky exo skeleton has the same look movement speed as infantry. light assault above me? no problem just snap up and kill him. it might be more challenging if certain max weapons came with a slight quarter second delay like tanks have, kind of like in every other game that has exo suit portions or vehicle options.
    • Up x 1
  12. KiowaChief

This from the same guy that came up with this gem of a thread.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ove-ap-rounds-ability-to-ohk-infantry.203900/

I'll just leave this here and slowly walk away
  13. z1967

Low damage, not no damage. Think about the new MAX as what Heavy currently is in TF2, arguably fairly weak compared demo and solly, but is necessary to almost every push. In PS2, the MAX would take point when pushing into anywhere with HA bringing the firepower behind it. AV and AA balance would remain unchanged by this, so the change would just result in a higher effective healthpool to infantry weapons while taking a hit in damage output and gun strength.

Its a balanced system that just reduces the farming/super soldier play-style that currently exists with MAXes.
    • Up x 1
  14. WTSherman

I don't know if VS MAXes have any recoil (it does feel like they don't), but TR MAXes do. It's just not very noticeable most of the time.

Anchored dual onsloughts DEFINITELY have recoil. :p
  15. Dunkarooo

In other words buff defensive capabilities but nerf offensive capabilities when it comes to AI. Yeah I can get behind this but only if Maxes take twice as long to take down. What I mean is instead of 2 rockets to kill a max make it 3 or even 4. Double the resistance to small arms. Make it always 2 c4. ETC. In return make it so Maxes are much more ineffective in killing infantry. I think this will overall improve the experience for all players. So in short increase TTK on both ends when dealing with Maxes.
  16. KiowaChief

The current TTK against maxes is fine, 1 rocket puts you at half health WITH either flak 5 or kinetic 5, same for an AV grenade, 1 C4 leaves you with 1/4th health with kinetic 5 and half health with flak 5. the TTK for max weapons on infantry are very close to the same TTK for the average 700 or above RoF infantry weapon. The edge goes to the max using dual weapons like the Nebula/ TR high fire rate gun. The trade off is incredibly poor accuracy past about 30m they are very close quarters AI weapons. The blushifts are the exception in accuracy, but they have poor single gun RoF, running two of these guns and firing them both at the same time puts you somewhere around 760RPM if memory serves correctly whereas running dual nebula will net you a little over 840 RPM.

Not very familiar with the TR AI guns or their rate of fire but I would be willing to guess they are somewhere close to the VS versions in bot RoF, accuracy and damage.
  17. LibertyRevolution

You should need a dedicated squad to make the max unit effective, that is my point...
    Maxes should not be solo infantry murder machines.
    • Up x 1
  18. Schwak

I feel like you guys are dodging the question as to why there are indoor farming machines by saying engaging them is "challenging".
  19. KiowaChief

Are you daft? It already takes dedicated support to make the max a truly effective weapon. The average PS2 player doesn't heal, revive, repair, or toss ammo reliably. Even with kinetic 5 or flak 5 you can only step into a room with 3+ enemies all shooting at you to clear them out once, maybe twice before needing solid repairs. And in that mean time the ones you killed are already on their way back or have already been replaced by other players. Based on your previous threads and posts coupled with your abysmal stats I would have to agree with many others here and surmise that you are simply a ******** bad that is incapable of adapting but instead bashes your head against the stone wall wondering why it won't budge for you.

Have a max problem? get a buddy and both fire a rocket at him as soon as he turns the corner. Even if only one hits he's already at half health and forced to retreat or be mowed down by your 3+ other team mates firing on him. that not working? lay a couple C4 inside the doorway out of view, sit in the back corner. as soon as he enters, BOOM. if more than one enter guess what you just nailed 2, 3, 4 badguys. It's not rocket science.
  20. Dunkarooo

Well IMO it's not fine. At least not entirely. As NC I go to the terminal get the grinders or ravens and proceed to go on a 10-30 kill streak. I'd say this happens just under 50% of the time depending on the conditions of the battle(amount of non brain dead engis, population in the battle, and just luck). The main reasons for my streaks ending are other MAXes(when using grinders) because some of them know to stay at medium range. Other reasons are when a large number of infantry swarm me simultaneously (doesn't work if I have support). Then there is the time when you get c4'd while occupied shooting at something and not noticing a LA floating down off a roof behind you for example. When I use a LA or heavy I am lucky to get more than 5 or 6 kills before dying. I don't think the answer is to completely nerf Maxes into the ground for eternity though.

But listen the reason maxes are so strong is the lack of skill and experience of the average PS2 playeer NOTHING else.