[Suggestion] [question] Ghost Recon Rifle Scope(s) {want at least an 8x}

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wizlawz, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Wizlawz

why is the highest power a 4x? why can not the Ghost have at least a max high power scope 8x?

what was the basis of the decision to only give it the 4x as it's highest power scope?

i had to save up creds to buy a bolt action JUST for the 8x scope.{but that is not the basis for my argument}

i am just not understanding why its' max power scope is a 4x.

sure i can see it not having a 10x or a 12x...but no 8x as a scope option?

could we at least get the 8x scope for the Ghost?
  2. Alkezo

Because the Ghost is a short range bolt action. Get the XM98 or Parallax if you want long range.
  3. Wizlawz

ye thats what i did ...got the XM98

but still... the default starter semi auto {sry forget name of it} has the other scopes.

and the ghost as a short range ? ok sure...werks well at LR too.

but the ghost as short range shouldn't really be the defense right? considering all the other "sights" are avail to all the other rifles...aren't they?
  4. Ronin Oni

Yeaaah?

Point being... what exactly?

Ghost tier of BASR's are purely designed for <120m ranges where you shouldn't need anything more than 4x.
  5. Wizlawz

point being its a sniper rifle. and should at least have the 8x. imho.

sry idk what BASR is
  6. cykael

There are other rifles that have 6x+ scopes, I suggest using them instead.
  7. William Petersen

BASR = Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle.

There's like 4 options for long range snipers. I love my SAS-R (NC close-range sniper). They have a much faster chamber time than the other BASRs. They're perfect for medium to close range sniping.
  8. Pickles112358

Sniper rifle doesn't mean it's designed for extremely long range. Ghost is specifically designed to be a short range sniper rifle and it's stats reflect that.

BASR=bolt action sniper rifle
  9. Ronin Oni

and don't HS OHK past medium range (120m IIRC)

so yeah, no point in more than 4x

want more than 4x? use a different one.
  10. Axehilt

Plenty of weapons offer sub-optimal scopes, so the only reason I could see not to do this is if it was a significant chunk of dev work that could be better spent elsewhere.

Personally I feel 4x is perfect for the Ghost and its copies, and think the OP is crazy for wanting higher, but I wouldn't stand in his way of figuring that out on his own.
  11. Alkezo

Each faction has several sniper rifles to choose from. Some are semi-auto, some are bolt action, and I believe one is even automatic. Each rifle fills a certain role. You pick the rifle for the role it fills.
  12. Wizlawz

ye i hear ya

ye i know it doesn't mean extreme LR....what is considered extreme LR here? i wonder...because at 10x and 12x scopes the "extreme range" i WANT to shoot at the enemy "disappears" when i can clearly see vehicles...im guessing it has to be out passed 200m...not sure though, haven't been able to figure out at what range i can no longer see my target(s)... but i have all the settings that would pertain to draw distance and the like set to max and ultra.

so what exactly is "extreme range" in this game? because as far as i can tell it sure is not like it is in BF series....no where near it.

so to me the 10x and 12x are useless...but that is just me ..as for me the 8x is a good all arounder...ye i even use 8x in BF for "extreme ranges".

yar no matter where i go irl at some point the nick crazy{insert name here} always gets "stuck" to me.

ye i know....but look....is it the ONLY BASR with a max scope of 4x or is it the only one?

imho anything less than 8x sure its for aggressive recons / infils..whatever.

so basically when you first start as a sniper free to player you are stuck with a semi-auto with LR scopes and a bolt action with a max 4x scope.

sure all the weps have their niche and roles....but they also have diversity do they not?

and so what if it isn't a OHK out passed a certain range....4x just sux for being able to judge shots better and the picture sight at some ranges.

and it seems you can use lower power scopes on all the other rifles? so why have this one be the only one that "locks" you into it's prime range?

i guess i ask because beings i am used to an 8x in other games as well. and for the ghost at 700 damage for an 8x would be perfect imho.

i do not always shoot to kill...so i have no worries about OHK at ranges.... i also shoot for distraction and relocation purposes.

but hey if it is made to ONLY have a max 4x scope with no chance of ever getting a 8x so what...i can still make those ranged shots with it's 4x.... i just like the 8x sight picture much better than any other scope in this game and in any other game.

and as for the ghost not OS OHK at passed its optimal range...wish we had range finders coz i have killed with the ghost and 4x OS OHK at some "extreme ranges" {whatever range that is}....maybe they were already damaged..idk...most probably...

ahh well so be it, the Ghost can reflect upon it's name by being a Ghost in mah inventory. i do not believe in Ghosts...do you?
  13. TraatAdmiral

Because literally the entire point of that gun is that it's a close-range rifle.

But OK, you're new here. Here's how it works:
    I take it you're Vanu. You have access to seven sniper rifles:
    Two of them are semi-automatic. These are the SASRs. One of them is your starting rifle; it has access to scopes ranging from 6x to 12x. The other is your CQC semi-auto. It has scopes ranging from 1x to 4x.
    Four of the others are bolt-action, your BASRs. Three of them, the XM98, Parallax, and whatever the other one is (I don't play Vanu) are rifle tiers 1, 3, and 2, respectively. The overwhelming majority of snipers in PS2 use these guns. The XM98 is really the gun you ought to start with; it's very cheap so that new players can get it easily. All three of these guns have acces to scopes ranging from 6x to 12x, the difference between them being mostly their bullet velocity. The fourth BASR is the one you've got, the Ghost. This is your CQC BASR. It has access to scopes ranging from 1x to 4x, the advantage being that it doesn't have scope sway. These guns aren't frequently used.
    The seventh rifle is your Empire Specific Sniper Rifle, the ESSR. For VS it's the Phaseshift, and it can switch between firing semi-auto and charged bolt-action shots.

Infantry render distance is 300 meters. Beyond that you can't see people. Additionally, I will say that this is not a game in which not shooting to kill will get you very far.

So, yeah--don't buy a weapon that has a very specific purpose and then complain that it doesn't do what three other weapons are designed to do.
    • Up x 2
  14. Pickles112358

You might want to check this video if you want to know the role of Ghost. That guy is a beast.

Ghost is effective for I'd say up to 150m. 200m+ is what i consider extremely long range. Effective combat is usually played closer than that. Also, I REALLY wouldn't worry about damage dropoff so 650dmg for XM98 isn't really a big flaw. I suggest buying it just to see that 99% of your headshots will be OHKs.
  15. Wizlawz

ahh 150 -200 ok thx. so lets say without the ghost is that still the max "render" range for infantry targets to be seen no matter what gun/scope {sniper rifles i mean}? ahh never mind i missed this part form the other reply: "Infantry render distance is 300 meters. Beyond that you can't see people."

thx for the info and your patience. but i was not meaning to "complain" was only curious as to why.

and it does do what the others do as far as i can tell.

heh after watching that vid...im surprised there aren't more complaints of "this aint CoD quick scope" or "the ghost is op nerf it"

nice vid and skills btw of that player...wish i was skilled like that..have tried many many times...fail each and every time.
  16. ColonelChingles

The Ghost (like all the short-ranged "sniper rifles") isn't actually a sniper rifle but is actually a scout rifle. Yes I know that there are so-called "scout rifles" in the game but those really aren't true scout rifles.

This is the IRL equivalent to the Ghost:

[IMG]

The point of these rifles was to have a lightweight, highly mobile package that had decent accuracy and hitting power. Scopes were usually very low magnification (if used at all), because these were meant to be closer-range rifles and high-magnification scopes would only induce tunnel vision.

So it makes sense for Ghosts to not have access to high-magnification optics... as it would make them far less appropriate to their role.
  17. Wizlawz

ahhh ok. copy that.

and i hate to start this question.....but for such "close" range why not a semi-auto? why a bolt?

that pic looks alot like a M14 EBR:

[IMG]

semi-auto
  18. ColonelChingles

It's a weight issue. For closer-range combat you need to bring your rifle to bear much more quickly and rapidly, and you may not always be shooting from a supported position.

Semi-automatic weapons, incorporating a few more odds and ends to capture recoil/gas to chamber/extract rounds, are going to be heavier than bolt-action weapons which are much more mechanically simple and hence much lighter.

An M14 EBR is going to be over 11 pounds. A "no frills" short-barreled version of the M14 is just shy of 9 pounds. True scout rifles tend to clock in at under 7 pounds... a 2 pound difference over the lightest comparable semi-automatic rifle. Your typical M4 carbine weighs about the same as a scout rifle.

One thing that's often misunderstood about scout rifles is that they're not meant to replace assault rifles or anything else... they're meant to hit hard and accurately at a shorter range than longer/heavier bolt-action rifles. Fire a few shots and disappear. Which all things considered makes them great for Infiltrators.
  19. Axehilt

Yeah I believe it's the only BASR with a max of 4x (unless you count the other factions' guns: SAS-R and TSAR.)

The Ghost and its other-faction copies are basically designed for aggressive short/medium ranged sniping work. They're fun and functional within that range, but not much use beyond it.
  20. TraatAdmiral

There's a close-range semi-auto in the game, too. I don't remember what the name of the Vanu one is. They're generally not considered very good weapons, though.