When do I want to use SMG Infiltrator?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by patrykK1028, Sep 25, 2014.

1. patrykK1028

So, I bought SMG for my infiltrator (Sirius), but I noticed I hardly ever use it. Whenever I think "maybe I should pick smg inf now?", I finally decide HA or medic will be better choice.. My question when I want to use it. And maybe, when you use your smg infiltrator?
  2. ATRA_Wampa-One

When you're not doing squad play and your bored of sniping. Seriously, SMG infil is a blast since you can find 12-24 sized fights and basically wreck everyone there.
  3. z1967

Mainly for when there aren't very many place I can evade my way through with Light assault. So, close to never. Usually only for kamikazee rushes into biolabs and into areas where the enemy has LoS. I can use Light Assault much more effectively because only light assaults ever seem to look up :)
    • Up x 1
  4. CorporalClegg

SMG infilitrator seems to be the best course of action when there is a wide patch of no-man's land between your sunderer/spawn and the enemy base creating a dead zone where snipers and heavies mow down anyone visible. So basically in at least 50% of all situations...

Its actually useful in almost every fight and is probably the easiest way to farm kills in the game barring PPA magriders.
  5. Ronin Oni

Just play it.

Use cloak to get around and behind the enemy before you start engaging.

Then just hit run and hide on their flanks until they get you. Respawn, rinse, repeat.
  6. ColonelChingles

That's funny. I actually run as an Infiltrator more often with my outfit squad than when I'm playing in a pubbie squad.

I look on the squad list and check if anyone is playing Infiltrator. Then if we're going to capture a point or hold a building, I pick SMG Infiltrator.

Why Infiltrator? Because of motion detectors. Put one down in a building and it is unlikely that the enemy can get the jump on your squad. You can even use it to direct their fire, focus on a particular side of a building, or know when to run away. Also Galaxy drops may require someone hack and pull a Sunderer... and you need an Infiltrator for that.

Why SMG? Because if I'm going to be fighting alongside my squad at close range, I prefer a SMG. That and some AP mines can really bolster a good defense.

For me Infiltrators are more important than LAs to have in a squad. I mean all you need is one, but knowing when your enemy is coming and where they're coming from is a nice thing.
    • Up x 3
  7. \m/SLAYER\m/

Looks like you don't know how to play infiltrator... you need well cetred tool, and all the point, to sneak into bunch of enemies and pick vulnerable targets. Your tool helps you to flank targets.

• Up x 1
  8. cruczi

I play SMG infil if I get a craving for some cheese. It goes well with wine, the high quality sort that is served at Pump & Action.
  9. ATRA_Wampa-One

Yeah, every squad needs an infil for motion detection (and they should always be scout or SMG). The problem is that every squad only needs ONE infiltrator and I'm more useful as a HA than being a second infiltrator.
  10. iller

The question is rarely "Is anyone else playing infiltrator."
    The question is usually "Is anyone else actually deploying Sensors and Betties?"

in 75% of pubs, the answer is no. ...In good outfits meanwhile it's like teamspeak on crack. I remember a few times I popped 2 darts out and 10 blips lit up. ...then 8 seconds later they were all dead.... all of them. Just a cascade in the U.I. feed of blue names ganking red ones. To be fair though, one of those blue names was Dipnoi, so YMMV
    • Up x 1
  11. miraculousmouse

OMG IWIN HEAVY SHIELD OP PLEASE NERF.... Oh wait....
  12. Axehilt

Any infantry fight you don't have resources for MAXes, basically. You just cloak-hop out to your opponents, come around some corner (ideally flanking), and unload into head after head at point blank, and keep dashing between cover to charge up more cloak to kill the next batch of enemies.

Huh, searching youtube is sort of depressing for SMG infiltrator play. Hard to find any decently high-end SMG users out there. If I wasn't such a scrub at video-making I'd try to get something out there, since it's really not all that tricky how to do it well.
  13. The Rogue Wolf

Generally it's easiest at night in semi-open terrain where you have room to flank and retreat. And as others have said, using the sensor darts is key; not only will you better identify stragglers you can pick off or groups coming to rout you out, but you'll be giving intel to other allies in the fight, and the better they do, the more distracted your targets will be.
  14. iller

I died to one using the MKV in 0.4 seconds from 60m out last night...
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428031585331669921/stats

Let's stop pretending that they're only good at close range
  15. Zotamedu

You use it when you want to make other people rage quit.
    • Up x 1
  16. _itg

Honestly, just play it until you get a sense of when you're going to be effective. The important things are to always use your recon tool and to always flank. While your team holds down the room, you can run around behind the enemy and pick people off from the back. You're a killing class like a HA/LA, but you use stealth and positioning rather than a shield. Medics and engis are your priority targets, since the rest of the army will falter without their support classes. If the fight gets really overcrowded, it might not be possible to flank, so you might want to just stick with the team and throw EMPs. Sadly, you don't get credit for that, but EMP assist XP is allegedly coming soon.
  17. Axehilt

Nobody's pretending that. But the reality is that attempting to use SMGs at medium range is pretty flimsy strategy. There are far better choices (especially for infiltrators) for weapons at that range.
  18. cruczi

Well first off, getting killed once by MKV at 60 meters doesn't say anything about whether MKV is good at 60 meters or not. You can kill a guy at 60 meters with Repeater on semi auto, if the gods favor you and the stars are aligned.

On the other hand, MKV and PDW are probably the only SMG's that can pull off mid-long range kills consistently. PDW obviously being quite a bit better... MKV's damage dropoff and bad velocity just requires too much luck against anything that's moving.
  19. iller

Yes there are.... but how MUCH more effective? 0.2 milliseconds faster TTK? If you got the drop on the target then that timeframe difference is completely superficial...Nevermind that those weapons are almost impossible to hipfire in CQC and nearly every single one of them is a semiautomatic or SASR which has completely different aim tracking "skill floor" and DPS from an SMG
  20. cruczi

The difference between an SMG (not including PDW which is almost a carbine) and a scout rifle/close range sniper rifle is staggering when it comes to mid range fighting. If you're comparing it to a CQC BASR, the difference in TTK is basically whatever your SMG's TTK is, because you will OHK most enemies.

SMG's are basically pea shooters beyond 20-30 meters. Getting the drop on a mid range target is far from a secured kill. There are even pistols which outperform them at mid range, including Commie, Underboss and Inquisitor.

Obviously, you have to trade CQC performance if you want to be good at mid range. But usually as an infiltrator, you can rely on your sidearm for CQC, or you can simply avoid getting too close. Cloak, reposition, and fight at a range where you don't have to hip fire. An infiltrator has all the tools in his disposal to avoid being forced into an unfavorable fight. I should mention though that the automatic as well as the semi auto scout rifle is fairly reliable and effective when hip fired, especially if you use a laser sight and don't use a compensator.
    • Up x 1