Developer Thread: Valkyrie

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Demigan

As someone else asked, are there extra passenger seats going to be available, if necessary by Certs? Will these seats be rumble or passenger?

Will you try to avoid the Harasser problem? Where the Harasser was supposed to be a transport, but I've never ever used/seen it used to that extend?
  2. TheKhopesh

Questions about the Valkyrie?

Ya, I've got one.
    Will the self-shooting issue when firing the Phoenix from a bucket seat while the Valkyrie is moving be fixed?
    • Up x 1
  3. AdmiralArcher

will it get a cloak that can only turn off when it lands and the pilot gets out?

will the exra 2 seats be rumble seats also?

higby mentioned that he wanted more abilities for it, what kind of abilities do you guys envision for it?

i think it would be cool if it had an EMP blast that disabled spotting enemies for everyone in a certain radius, that way it would further reinforce its role as a tactial insertion vehicle
  4. HadesR

Will the introduction of the Val mean that all Air is finally going to be redefined into more unique roles, and move away from the Jack of all trades as All currently are ? ..

Ie:

ESF: A2A Fighter
    Libs: A2G Bomber
    Gal: Heavy Troop Transport
    Val: Quick insertion / CAS

Or will the same mish mass remain with little actual role for the Val ?

Or do you see the Val fulfilling a role that something can't already do better ?
  5. Zotamedu

Please add another two seats so you can fit an entire squad into two of them. They don't need to be rumble seats, just the ability to transport more passengers would be nice.

BTW, a silly solution to the flak killing passenger problem and to make it more like a Black Hawk or Huey would be to mount two AI MANA turrets in the rumble seats. Those shields protect against pretty much anything and you get to fly around shooting machineguns at people on the ground. Also, please add a horn that plays part of Wagner's Flight of the Valkyres as you mow down infantry. That would also make people stop crying about sniper platforms, flying bursters, lock on spam and so on.
  6. d_carey Developer

It's ability to transport and quickly drop players is the role we have in mind. To that end, we're going to increase the seating to 6 total per players' requests. Not sure how to respond to the 'boring' part, I actually think the new flight model and role are fun, but I don't expect everyone to enjoy it.

Cloaking is not something we've talked about yet. We assume we'll be making flight model changes as we get more feedback. Afterburners were discussed but we're launching w/o them for now. Ejection seats are possible, I'll ping Kevmo to get this thoughts.
    • Up x 4
  7. d_carey Developer

We're going to try 6 but we want to see what's involved first, so we'll probably go live with 4? We'll see.

The seating change should address your 'too many hats' since it will be a true transport.

75/25 would be my guess, not sure about Kevmo. But players will ultimately determine that by how they use it.
    • Up x 3
  8. d_carey Developer

Player 1: Hey let's group up and drop in behind enemy lines!
    Player 2: I don't like flying Gals, I prefer Libs. Gals are slow and ponderous.
    Player 3: Ugh Gals? There's nothing to do in those if you don't get a gunner seat.

= Valk
    • Up x 7
  9. d_carey Developer

That's part of the risk - you get a huge number of benefits from having the ability to choose your weapons in rumble seats, so protect those guys.
    • Up x 1
  10. d_carey Developer

Spotting, jumping out and providing ground cover, and general communication are what the rumble seats provide.

We left the aiming and lack of stabilization as is for a bit more of a challenge, it can always be changed if needed.

Repairs - not discussed yet but not a bad idea.

We're not saying this is the final flight model by any means.

Role - answered previously

Yes, it is meant to fight when needed, but most pilots will probably prefer to drop troops off and haul *** out of the front lines. Again, we'll see.
    • Up x 3
  11. DatVanuMan

The Valk is amazing, Radar! They're Auraxium versions of a LA-AT, and that is sick:D Just add those extra seats, ES side-door weapons, disable the hover mode only mode, and add a bit more abilities, and the Valk will be the best plane in the game:)
    • Up x 1
  12. d_carey Developer

For sure; we haven't ruled anything out yet. This is the base model, we want to improve this over time as you guys discover the most fun ways to use the Valk.
    • Up x 2
  13. d_carey Developer

The goal of the Valk is to have a more interactive flying experience for the whole crew. Getting dropped off at a base isn't going to be a matter of waiting around until the Platoon leader says 'drop now'; it'll be spotting, defending, and interacting with the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  14. vanu123

What about giving it more support things, I don't know how you would implement it but maybe give it things to allow it to mid air resupply ammo/mid air repair, things like that. Otherwise would those things be something that would go onto a gal?
  15. d_carey Developer

Remember, flak is tuned to damage air not infantry. Rumble seat or not, infantry still have the same resists.
  16. d_carey Developer

It definitely opens up options for us to specialize more. That's not something that'll happen overnight, but we can do a lot more now that the Valk exists.
    • Up x 1
  17. d_carey Developer

That's something we need to see and tune on Live. I think the concept should be that for the most part, Valks should be avoiding most dogfights when they aren't carrying heavies with lock ons. Dropping below the tree line on Hossin and losing pursuit will be a fun option for Valk pilots.
    • Up x 2
  18. d_carey Developer

There's a reason we don't work in the aerospace industry =)

Design comes up with a role, Art creates a concept, and the two meet down the road when a 3D modeler makes the asset. We don't design something to be realistic and sacrifice looks. Willing suspension of disbelief comes into play at some point.
    • Up x 2
  19. d_carey Developer

Answered above - Me personally, I like the idea.
    • Up x 2
  20. Colt556

I've seen the question asked and it hasn't been answered yet, but any chance of getting some kind of door gunners like a blackhawk? An example I've seen thrown around would be MANA turrets mounted on the doors so that people in the rumble seats could provide some of their own fire support. Or perhaps having the guys in the rumble seats sit next to the gun as they do in real life helicopters. As they'd be mana turrets I couldn't see them being that big of a balance issue but it'd give some extra utility to the proposed two additional seats.
    • Up x 1