Vehicles are everywhere, fights are monstrosities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cloakndagger, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Palkora

More like fights are every AV MAX's wet dream.

So many lightning and vanguards/magriders to kill, so little time.
    • Up x 1
  2. 4thgeneretionwarrior

..or just give to infiltrators the ability to hack tanks:
    level 1 1000 certs:
    switch left and right for 30 seconds or decrease speed to 70% or lock guns for 15 seconds....things like these

level 2 2000 certs
    kicks out driver and gunner and vehicle can be stolen...will be fun to see tr and nc on magriders:)
  3. Palkora

Even better give a infils the ability to rig it and once it moves closer to its allies, detonate it.
  4. icanfly342

With the new resource system I feel like I have to pull a vehicle myself to be useful.
    Usually I repair team mates, but now its less important, cause they can just get a new tank.
  5. Aegie

I guess I can see that to a certain extent, though I rarely had a problem chain pulling MBTs before and tended to play on the aggressive side.

Although, it does seem like it would suffer from the same issue as infantry in that tactics get a bit watered down when death is meaningless- people play differently and that can be good but it can also be bad. Also, it still strikes me that if you are unconcerned about dying then it is difficult to get really excited or feel much tension/intensity since there is no consquence for losing (and thus also less satisfaction in winning).
  6. 4thgeneretionwarrior

or hack a sundy in middle of zerg spawning a couple of squads breaking out
  7. Inex

There was a minority of players that could do that. If you were a good player, had your respawn well certed, subbed, had a gunner to swap MBT pulls with, and on a continent that your faction had a large chunk of territory to pull Mech from... then yeah, you were fine.

The new system means that I don't need to consider this tank my only tank. It wasn't uncommon for me to have to wait 30+ minutes just to get the resources for a new tank. Sure, if I lose an MBT immediately, I have to wait a minute or two for a new one. And if I lose that one, then it's 9 minutes for the next one. But that still means I can pull 3-4 tanks in the same timeframe I'd normally be pulling 1. The consequence of dying isn't completely gone, but it's low enough for me to consider pulling a tank instead of simply redeploying.
  8. Teshrrar

The stalemate you see is because no squad/platoon know strategies. They are used to spam and zerg and win by numbers. Now, with the Nanites, both sides have large armies, which mean the tactic is needed to gain meters, and strategy to conquer a base, even which numbers still matter.

In 1st day I was fighting in Esamir and I saw a 4 hours battle without no advance of any side. Was frustrating use the /re to try organize the stupid platoons which TR have and see nobody give a **** and keep the no-sense pew pew. This stupid move worked before because at some point one side wasted all resources doing other stupid moves instead try accomplish objectives, what allow one faction push in advantage. Today you can replace a vehicle/max much faster, and since nobody on this ******* server think and only know point and click, you have hours of pointless battles happening.
  9. Pacster3

Well, then you have most likely been sitting in a fully certed Vanguard(so far about shield not making a difference) with a second guy on it and the enemies have not been certed and had no AV secondaries.

If I would play my tank like I see it on most of those stalemates...yeah...then I would likely have a high K/D with it. It ain't very hard to stand in the last row and always vanish behind a hill to repair after getting the first hit. If I can aim with a rifle then it's not hard to aim with a tank either...and movement doesn't matter much when playing horizon artillery.

The bases on about all continents are crap for infantry....at least if the tankers know how to position themselves. Not to mention that you can not just chain pull tanks...you can as well chain pull air....and aside from biolabs there is hardly any base where you can get to the points in without of being hopen to get hit by air(and we are just talking of your own bases here...how you want to get to enemy bases without of having to deal with the massive vehicle spamfest is beyond me). Essentially infantry is eliminated from the game when it comes to doing anything meaningfull. And since most players prefer infantry that is going to ruin the game for many players. That you as a tanker won't admit that, doesn't surprise much...
  10. Captain Kid

I like some team play now and then. Gen holds and stuff were fun in Planetside 1. Galaxy drops during an alert in Planetside 2 were fun. (Kind of, they never work because the spawn point becomes available to the enemy team.)

But my biggest issue is vehicle spam at bases. By far.

Once again I will repeat what I would like to see:

- Tanks not being able to shell a base.
    - Less bases per continent. (more room for tank warfare)
    - AMS should be blown up by tanks, not infantry. (and tanks should protect AMS and clear the way for infantry etc. around and between bases)

So then a massive zerg fight will go like this:
    Team A sends in lots of tanks and air and sunderers to the enemy base.
    Team B does the same.
    (and thanks to the lattice this will happen off course)

A massive tank and air and infantry frontline is established between both bases and it will move either towards Team A or Team B's base.

In this example team A is stronger and after a while they have arrived at team B's base. Team A's Sunderers are moved forward and deployed. Their Tanks patrol near the base and engage in team B's tanks which try to blow up Team A's sunderers and the tanks defending them. So tank battles are still going strong. With infantry in between to mix it up.

Meanwhile INSIDE Team B's base there is an infantry fight going on over the point or SCU or whatever.
    There is no shelling. There are no tanks. (although I would not mind some shelling at some bases to mix it up a bit)

That is my vision of this game. And we are were close now with this new resource system, I like seeing massive tank columns. BUT not when they start shelling a base. Keep that stuff between bases.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gambitual

Personally, I haven't really seen any problems with the new resources system. I don't think it is P2W. I did some shenanigans the other night with a variety of things and got close to depleting my Nanites, but otherwise I am mainly an infantry player and keep a good stock of them.

I think that Sunderers and MAXes need adjustments to either cost or operation. Maybe cost adjustments for everything. Otherwise, the system is pretty good.

Some other notes:
    I lost my stock of infantry consumables and even had a period of time where the system wonked out and I couldn't resupply 1 of anything. Also, do I have to pay 500 certs for my second brick of C4 for every class?
  12. Inex

Get off Indar.

It's only the old, busted Indar bases that need to worry about tank spamming the base. Some of the other continents aren't exactly subtle about how they stop it, but the end result is that Indar has 90% of the bases where that's still a problem.
    • Up x 1
  13. Get2dachoppa

[IMG]

Yup. Real fun. :rolleyes:
  14. Inex

Off. Indar. Get.
    • Up x 1
  15. Get2dachoppa

LOL. I was on Indar because Esamir was even worse!
  16. Aegie

I don't think I was a big exception- unless the fight is right outside the WG or the Techplant you pull from then it would usually take a few minutes just to get into the fight and that would wear down the timer.

True, there were moments where you would pull an MBT or something and get run off the road and stuck in terrain or get instagibbed by a tankbuster that singled you out before you had your bearings but is 10 minutes that long to wait?

I must admit that I am a bit concerned that all this will just result in further nerfs. A lot of people (myself included) would like MBTs (especially) and some other vehicles to be a bit tougher and more meaningful on the battlefield but I think most of us see that the ease and frequency of access is the big limiting factor there- you cannot have powerups that are both very powerful and very common. The more common they are, the less powerful they can be. Before they were less common and people were still requesting nerfs on a more or less continuous basis- now that they are ubiquitous?

I realize this is only phase 1 but I worry that phase 2 will not come very quickly and IMO it is really important that it does.
  17. CipherNine

With huge number of random players constantly entering and leaving the game you can hardly have any strategy. There is no system in place to deal with population imbalance. Resource gain is more a matter of randomness than strategy and it even makes imbalance worse because not only larger faction has more territory but it also destroys more enemy vehicles.

I really don't see how removing resources would negatively impact strategy as there is no strategy to begin with.
    • Up x 1
  18. Captain Kid

Actually I think Hossin is even worse.. Or at least the North western part of it. So many small buildings where the only safe place is right in the middle. Especially if you fight the Vanu which can position their tanks high on the hills surrounding the base.

I actually like some of the Esamir bases with their high walls and such. To bad the terrain between the bases has zero cover for infantry. To be honest I can not really distinguish bases, they all look alike to me; there are 250 with the same art work..
  19. Eyeklops

Wow...this thread. *facepalm.jpg. (Sorry I can't properly quote using my PC at work)

How can anyone say:

"This is not a teamplay game. For a team play game you need objectives which this game does not have."

What?!?...REALLY? So just because the new (UNFINISHED) resource system has allowed excessive use of vehicles and maxes, the game now has NO objectives. Interesting logic there Plato, don't fall down the slippery slope your standing on. The density of such a statement is so high I fear the lesser minded may get sucked into a black hold of idiocracy simply by reading it. The game still has objectives! Yes, the ability to cut off your enemies resource supply is gone (for good?...not sure), but that was hardly the only objective in the game.

ON TOPIC:
    From what I read a few months ago in the roadmap (which could have changed by now), an integral part of the final resource system will be to control resource earning by player density. In other words, less sustainable vehicle and max spam from the larger zerg. Now can SOE properly tune such a system? I don't know, but the theory sounds interesting.

Hopefully SOE is busy collecting and analyzing the data the live servers are generating right now. I am certain there are many things to be learned from such data. No doubt resource gain, consumables cost, nanite storage pool, and consumable stockpile size adjustments will be made (probably a few times) in the coming months. Let's just ride out this crazy force multiplier spam situation while SOE collects the data needed fix it.
    • Up x 1
  20. CDN_Wolvie

The game looks like a really big version of UT2K4 Onslaught now ...

I guess that's ok if that's your kind of thing, I'm just going to go play something else instead, this isn't what I was looking for from PS2. *shrugs*