Vehicles are everywhere, fights are monstrosities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cloakndagger, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Cloakndagger

I'm a huge fan of the resource system in principle, but everyone and their mother has vehicles now. I wanted to give it a few days to be sure, but the fights I've been in now are easily 150+ people with walls of vehicles against walls of vehicles in a stalemate on both sides.

Is anyone experiencing this same thing? I like bigger battles, but my choices right now seem to be 150+ tank/lagfests or 3 v 3's.
    • Up x 9
  2. Alarox

I'm having a lot of fun with it.
    • Up x 35
  3. Leftconsin

I also love it.
    • Up x 11
  4. dBus

If you want to have a tank battle, yeah it can be fun for a while.

If you want to do anything else, nope.

The new resource thing has SERIOUSLY messed up the game.
    • Up x 11
  5. Cloakndagger

Ok so my assessment is accurate, it just comes down to whether we all agree this is a good thing or not.

I think it's bad, because it seems like people can have close to infinite vehicles now, and rather than choking resources, everyone always has everything.
    • Up x 6
  6. Xasapis

And this is bad because ...

The previous system was too restrictive and encouraged people to pull vehicles only when they were pretty certain they would not lose them. Aka, big zergs rolling around. After the patch however, I've seen countless counter vehicle pushes, by people who no longer fear that they will lose them. This has led to the most interesting and intense vehicle fights the game has seen since it launched.

Personally, I say keep it as is. The resource system finally serves it's purpose, aka to promote fun.
    • Up x 31
  7. Rovertoo

I see that the vehicles are fine, since I can normally avoid them ( or join em), but Maxes are kind of everywhere. I really like Maxes balance wise how they are now, tough and scary, but before when I killed one I could count on it not being pulled for a considerable amount of time, and repelled Max crashes would mean we have a few minutes of breathing room. Now I've noticed many more maxes, much more often. I'm sure with a new system weird quirks and changes to the battlefield will come, and our good devs will balance it somehow, but for the moment it seems like I haven't seen a room without at least 2 maxes in it. Maybe increase the resource cost?

On a related note, I read somewhere else about an idea to restrict Max revives, so that when a medic heals a Max, only the soldier inside is revived, instead of the entire machine. If this happened I'm not sure any tweaking would be needed, as Maxes would not be as indefinite as they are now.
    • Up x 2
  8. Thardus

In this context, I see "monstrosities" as a selling point.
    • Up x 13
  9. Xasapis

They might as well make the MAXes unrevivable with this new resource system.
    • Up x 4
  10. task_master

This resource system removed steamrolling and lets everyone play the vehicle they want. I'm okay with that.

I'm not okay with the MAX presence. It's okay to fight against maybe one or two per squad, but 50% of people playing max is a little ridiculous. It's like ZOE all over again, except all factions do it.
    • Up x 1
  11. Phyr

No, it hasn't.
    • Up x 6
  12. Captain Kid

I don't drive so I'm playing either spawnroom warrior or playing stalker cloaker or participate as infantry in the one or two good fights I can find in an evenings play.
    I think it is a good thing players can get vehicles without a timer. But let them fight between the bases not inside.
    Also remove some bases, lower c4 and mine damage against deployed AMS and we got ourselves a good basis for a game.
    • Up x 3
  13. Crayv

As I have said in other threads people still have the stockpiles of consumables to burn through so it should be given some time before the devs should take any action. As right now playing as infantry will quickly get you back to full as it costs you nothing to use grenades/medkits/ect until you burn through the ones you had built up before the patch. For example it won't cost me anything to use C4 until I use 40 of them (which equals to 3k of resources).

Before any of you reply that you don't have stockpiles, yes, yes you do. Go read the patch notes more closely. Any amount that you had before the patch you still have, you just can't buy back up though once it is gone.

People are chain pulling MAXes and tanks and the like but is it any different than before when they would just cycle between MBTs, Libs, and MAXes before the patch?
    • Up x 2
  14. Captain Kid

Why do you mention stockpiles? This is about vehicles. If anything once peoples stockpiles are gone expect even MORE vehicles since there will be less C4 and tank mines and vehicle grenades used.
  15. Crayv

Because they all use the same resource pool now. Once someone runs dry where they can't pull a MAX or MBT, that is it, they are done. They are now stuck as infantry and if they want to get back to their vehicle of choice quickly they can't use any consumables as infantry. If you pull 2 MAXs in a row you will be left with 50 resources (assuming you were full), without a membership it will take you 6 minutes to build up the other 300 to pull a third, if you so much as throw a grenade you just added another full minute to your time. It isn't working that way right now as consumables are not costing anything due to having to burn through their stockpiles first.

The previous system the timer was the biggest limiter, just getting a chuck of exp in a hex that gave whatever resource you wanted gave a hefty amount of that resource. Then in the event that you did run out you could just do something that used the other and cycle between them near endlessly.
    • Up x 3
  16. Captain Kid

Good point sir did not think about that. Still I think the impact will be minor.
    • Up x 1
  17. Rikkit

i love it, my flash is still hungry, but i guess i need a new one, to much blood on the front.
    Roadkills for everyone!
    • Up x 1
  18. Allin

Wait, isn't that what Planetside is about - massive army fights?

This is actualy a good idea. At the moment, in bases that have no vehicle access we all have max spam. It will be more intensive when the baddies will realise they can just maxspam. There is absolutely no need for normal infantry right now in closed bases, apart from very situational use here and there. 3/4 of a base team can take maxes, rest mix of medics and engees and there, nothing better.

Not to mention at the moment maxes in that numbers are much more effetive agaisnt vehicle columns, usually cramped in some canyon, as there is no open space apart from the Indar desert. Max should need to pay for weapon change with nanites, otherwise you just have infinite platform that can adapt at will. So, infantry combat wise, Maxes are a bit over the top now.

On the other hand, this system rewards group tactical thinking. NC maxes spamming ravens from one camp at the hill? Spawn 10 liberators and just turn them to scrap. Now, with the new system countering some tactic is much easier, becasue you can just do mass redeploy for a solution, as long as you are in a big team. Leaders have more meaning, tactic has more meaning. Also, no one cries that he has to abandon his tank, if he can pull new one out right away.

Btw How about that AV MANA turret render distance fix? This **** is getting old.
    • Up x 2
  19. Cloakndagger

Hold on this begs a really obvious question:

If you guys are all for everyone having everything at any time they want it, then why the hell do we even need a resource in the first place?

Seriously, your guys' arguments of "This is cool!" just translates to "We don't want resources!". Resources exist to be depleted. Their existence heralds a tactical approach for those that want it, but in the current iteration everything is too cheap to ever choke anyone out.

So if you like it, fine, but we need to wipe away the resources all together and just give everyone everything all the time. That's what you WANT, according to your arguments here.
    • Up x 4
  20. CipherNine

1. Spawn Flash with a Wraith Cloak and a Fury
    2. Slap 2 bricks of C4 on it
    3. Cloak and head up to enemy vehicle zerg
    4. Slam it into enemy tank
    4. Detonate C4 with Fury
    *(optional): Watch chat for hate tells
    5. Respawn & repeat
    • Up x 8