Bring back the old resource system, or FIX this one

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MisterBond, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Phyr

Your analogy is terrible. If anything, it's like 2 honda's having a race, they both crash, but one person can immediately buy a new one, while the other person has to ride their bike for a couple minutes.
    • Up x 1
  2. Degenatron

No, this is NOT the same situation at all.

You are talking about something IN THE FIGHT. You are talking about me literally buying a better weapon to win the fight. Something that DOES NOT HAPPEN in this game.

I'm trying real hard to bend your hypothetical into something like the situation we have here, and I can't do it.
    • Up x 3
  3. Nexus545

I played for an hour with the the system. Never ran out of resources once.
    • Up x 4
  4. TraatAdmiral

Well, so imagine this is the second fight. Two people are coming out of a battle, right? They've both already killed a couple of other people. The first guy has fired all his bullets, but the second still has fifty left, so he kills the first guy. That's what we're talking about. You and some random F2P guy both fight and kill the same number of enemies, and then meet each other. He hasn't got any grenades or medkits or C4, because he's spent all his resources fighting the other guys. You still have the ability to pop a medkit or throw a grenade when you need to, because you're getting more resources--you'd kill him and win the fight because of that.
  5. Degenatron

I'm not avoiding the question at all.

Is this "Pay 2 Win"? No it is not.

Nothing a subscriber gets helps them win a fight. If you shoot straighter, if you dodge faster, if you play better, you win the fight.

P2W means I pay for bullets that do more damage, I pay for armor that makes me tougher, I pay for shoes that make me move faster.

THAT is what "Pay 2 Win" is. HAVING MORE RESOURCES DOES NOT GUARANTEE A WIN IN A FIGHT. >>PERIOD<<

I don't know how to make it any more clear.

Is there a pay wall between you and an AV Nade? Is that something you are denied and only paying member have access to?
    Is there a pay wall between you and med kits? Is that something you are denied and only paying member have access to?

Lemme clue you into something: If I'm chewing through 15 med kits so fast that my income rate makes a difference, then buddy I'm not winning jack-sh*t. And you can take that to the bank.
    • Up x 4
  6. Gambitual

I don't get it. We already had resource boosts. Why is it P2W now after the change? Removal of resource timers? Well, being able to buy XP boosts which will get you more certs to more quickly buy lower timers was also a form of P2W then. Or am I wrong?

Yes, you can pay for resources. Yes, it gives the guy with money an advantage. Ultimately though, that advantage doesn't really lead to them winning.

You can look at what 'winning' means from many different angles. With the right (or wrong) mindset and a decently factual explanation, lots of things can be seen as P2W.

In the end, even if this is hardcore, no-doubt P2W with resources, I support the change because it is such a negligible form of P2W. And I am F2P.
    • Up x 2
  7. Yuki10

Ability to spam grenades and medkits does help to win.
    • Up x 1
  8. Lamat

Sounds like fertile land for viper lightnings to me...
  9. Degenatron

Why would you go into a fight with an empty gun? That's kinda dumb, dontcha think? Wouldn't it be smarter to fall back and get more ammo?

So, if Player A fights a tank and loses his tank. And Player B has a tank battle and loses his tank. Player A goes back and gets a new tank. Player B does what now? Runs willie-nillie into the open field to engage enemy tanks with his knife? Is THAT the scenario you're painting here? Because that's pretty dumb.

No one forces you out into the field to be automatically terminated.

Hey, here's a thought: Player B is still going to have some res for some C4 after losing his tank (FOUR C4s to be exact)- so a good Player B is still going to have a solid shot at taking out Player A.

But you know, let's not talk about that because then it's not Pay 2 Win anymore, is it?

No, instead, let's make up ridiculous hypotheticals all day instead.
    • Up x 1
  10. Degenatron

Already stomped the crap out of this notion.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ronin Oni

It's to get people to... wait for it... .... ..... SPECIALIZE!!!!! *GASP* :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Before you could pull tanks, ESF's, MAXes and C4 NON STOP. Infinitely. Without end.

Now you gotta make a choice. Imagine that. An actual choice. Should you spend your resources on a tank or should you try and save for that biolab fight that looks to be coming up real soon.

Also, sure, cap is 750 shared... but the INCOME rate is almost 5x what it was.

Keep crying though, I love your delicious tears.

Lets also ignore the benefit of this new system giving overwhelming resource advantage to majority pop faction on a continent.
    • Up x 3
  12. Degenatron

Again, this is "Having a better tool to win the fight."

I don't have that. You get a Ferrari too.

Now, if I spin my Ferrari into the wall on the quarter mile, and you don't - who won?

Just because I can go out and buy another Ferrari doesn't mean I'm a winner. It means I've got more money than skill.

You could just as easily smoke me in the quarter mile again. And again. And again. And again. And it doesn't matter how many Ferrari's I go out and buy. If I can't put them to good use, they're not really doing me any good at all.

The assumption - the BAD assumption - you are making is that every person who sucks down a med pack isn't going to get filled with bullets before his health bar is filled. That every grenade doesn't take a bad bounce right into a group of friendlies. But we all know that's not true.

And that is why YOUR argument is not valid.
  13. volth

Impossible to defend against Zergs now.
  14. Ronin Oni

Strategy will return when bases get power, linked via lattice (so cut off = no power regen) and ANT modules to refill bases "under siege"

This is only phase 1.

And lets be honest, how many people actually took bases for the resources and not just because "it was next in line"?
    • Up x 4
  15. Ronin Oni

That actually seems to sum up YOUR posts TBQFH.
    • Up x 6
  16. volth

CL change is great :)
    But resource change is only good for Zergs.
  17. Alizona

Is there a big argument going on here or something?

I think the new "Nanites" resource system is fine, and I can't imagine it's worth generating any sort of negative emotions over it. IMO obv.
    • Up x 1
  18. doombro

This thread was created two hours before the servers were even up. Just putting that out there.
    • Up x 1
  19. Degenatron

That's true, but on the flip side those that stay on the under popped side still have a steady resource income that is equal to the enemies and only governed by population. You could be the only guy on the continent with no territories and still have a healthy income - which is a huge boost over the old system.
    • Up x 2
  20. Captain Kid

I will see how it goes. If this means I can use my stuff less then before I might call it quits. It's never a good idea to take stuff away from the player. Most games give stuff (content) to the player as time goes by.

I'm also surprised about the simplicity of the system. As was explained to me everybody gets 50 resources every minute.
    So you can't influence the resource income like before, seems also a big step backwards making the game even more dumbed down..
    • Up x 1