[Suggestion] AA is Stupid, Let's Fix That

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Verviedi, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Verviedi

AA is a bit ridiculous.

Lately I have been flying Vortek/Fuelpods/Engagement Radar instead of Hailstorm/Lolpods/Flares, and I'm astounded by how ridiculously powerful AA is. 700 meters away from anything at flight ceiling, I can still get practically instagibbed by Skyguards or Bursters that aren't rendering. AA must be changed to be less ridiculous outside of render range.
    First of all, infantry AA should become completely ineffective after 300 meters. If something isn't rendering for me, it shouldn't eat my health in seconds. Infantry lockons should become far faster, but function like coyotes instead of Tomcats, so they require more skill to use. This way, infantry can defend themselves against farmers, but cannot interfere with dogfights at flight ceiling that do not affect them.
    Next, Skyguards should do less damage and have a lower rate of fire, but less COF bloom and higher accuracy. By pressing the Mode Switch key, Skyguards could switch to direct contact ammo that is more effective against Liberators and Galaxies, but requires aim.

The NS-10 burster should be ineffective outside of 300 meters, and not be able to be fired out of spawn rooms. When I'm in a Skywhale at flight ceiling dropping troops on a base, one lone spawn room warrior shouldn't be able to kill my 350 resource vehicle without any risk whatsoever. (And before you accuse me of farming, flight ceiling is out of render range, so I can't farm infantry there.)

Finally, dumbfire rockets should do more damage to Liberators, instagib ESFs, and hurt galaxies more, further punishing farmers. Skill-based AA such as dumbfires and tank shells should absolutely be rewarded more. (Did you know that C4 gives you Air Deterrance ribbons when you C4 a landed ESF or Lib?, all skill-based AA should be like that.)

TL;DR-
    Make aircraft immune to invisible, invincible, non-rendering AA, and punish farmers more.
    • Up x 4
  2. Nexus545

This seems like the same argument we see with AV weapons and tank drivers. They firmly believe they shouldn't be killed by something out of render range. And while I believe that to be true for ESFs as well I don't know what effect that would have on AA.
  3. M2_Bradley

As a ground player I can say the opposite.AA should be buffed.It should not be a deterrent.It should be a killer.You are prolly just getting killed by someone who lives and dies by the skyguard.
  4. Tekuila

It's already beyond overpowered. Why in the hell would they ever buff it. If anything get rid of flak and just make it projectiles you actually have to hit with.
    • Up x 1
  5. _itg

The whole point of AA is that it's a deterrent, and the long engagement range helps in that role. Not sure about skyguards, but as it is, an AA turret or burster MAX (which costs 350 resources, too) is never going to kill an aircraft by itself unless the pilot screws up or gets seriously caught off guard. If there's a lot of AA, you need tanks and/or infantry to take it out first. As for spawnroom bursters, well, they don't have great firing arcs from inside the spawnroom, so don't fly in front of the doors and they'll have to come outside to hit you.
  6. XXBLACKATTACKXX

IDK AA is tricky to balance.

Too powerful and it feels cheap, but there has to be a way ground can kill air.

AA should be a little more skill based IMO a good shot should wreak havoc but a poor shot is laughable.
    Also the range on AA should be changed a bit. It should be not at strong long range, but absolutely insane up close.

As for the render thing, it should still hurt, but it should not be effective, only a sort of warning that that if you get closer you will die.

But like you said farmers should be at more of a risk than Air to air fighters.
    • Up x 1
  7. DatVanuMan

WOW. For the first time in forever (F**KING HATE FROZEN:mad:), a pilot did suggest ways to make aircraft better, but ALSO suggested ways for infantry to stand a better chance versus aircraft. The excellence is strong with this one:) I salute you, man;) You changed the way I thought about pilots:D
  8. Verviedi

Thank you. Also, there are several channels on YouTube that are entirely devoted to stuffing snowmen with fireworks. I'd recommend watching them to get rid of that excess hate.
  9. DatVanuMan

Sorry, good pilot:( I made you hate me.
  10. Verviedi

What? No. What makes you assume that?
  11. DatVanuMan

You did tell me to release all that steam. So I came to the conclusion that you assumed that I hate all pilots<:[
  12. Inex

There's nothing farmers hate more than Bursters with low range. Also, I had to laugh at the idea a single Burster is able to kill a Galaxy.
  13. Verviedi

All
    All the FROZEN hate.
  14. DatVanuMan

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE :eek:
    Oh, well in that case, NO. Disney must burn for what they did to the Force:cool:
  15. Verviedi

Disney must burn anyway after what they did to my favorite TV shows.
  16. DatVanuMan

Which ones?
  17. GaBeRock

fyi, pilots don't have a problem with getting killed, so much as they have a problem getting killed by low-skill weapons. This is a symptom of how difficult it is to learn to fly. If infantry AA weapons took more skill to use, we wouldn't be as angry about them killing us with them. More difficult to use AA weapons also has the benefit of making air easier to balance in small vs. large fights- in a large fight, only a smaller portion of the infantrymen are capable of killing the air as infantry, meaning air is less likely to be shut out completely, but in small fights, all you need is one good player to fend off a farmer.
  18. DatVanuMan

All I want is for infantry to stand a slight chance versus the feared-LOLPODS. UHHH, it sickens me to say that word(s). All ESFs should be instagibbed when S1ed, just like Verviedi said, and Liberators should be set on fire in two hits. No idea if this is the case now, but I've started to notice that more Liberators and Skywhales (A stronger CQC Lib when equipped with the following weapon) are using the Bulldog. Lately, I've been dying to BullGals to Liberators, and that is NOT good:/
  19. GaBeRock

ESFs almost die to stock dumbfires, the only way to save it in time is with a fire suppresion. Decimator is a no-response instagib. Libs get set on fire from 2 stock dumbfires, and get killed outright from 2 decimator shots. I'm not sure if composite changes the hits to kill for either.

You're dying more to bulldog gals because liberators were nerfed pretty hard in the ammo-capacity department, zephr was nerfed in the blast-damage department, and duster is still trash. Regardless, bulldogs are getting unfairly nerfed, as well as pretty much every tank cannon.
  20. Vortok

Infantry AA has a bit more range than render distance/infantry AV has because air can traverse that extra 100m or so waaaaay faster than ground vehicles. Both when coming in and when leaving. Ground vehicles are a lot more likely to be sitting on the edge of render distance. Air is way more mobile, thus the extra range on stuff that's supposed to stop/deter them.

It seems like some pilots hate tank shells gibbing aircraft, while other pilots seem to think that all forms of AA should be at least as difficult as hitting air units with tank rounds, if not more challenging to use.

G2A's offensive power is easy to use because A2G is so mindlessly easy to do. Flip sides of the same coin.