PS2 should switch to Direct X 11

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meshblorg, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Meshblorg

Because it's DX9, it doesn't utilize CPUs very well and so that's why even high end machines are getting lousy frame rates.
    • Up x 2
  2. Pikachu

But muh winXP.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ribero

What a novel concept.
    • Up x 2
  4. z1967

Its not a magical switch that they can flip and be on DX11. It might even be easier to redo the game than try and convert it over (don't quote me on that). It might happen, it might not. Regardless, it will help the game.
    • Up x 2
  5. Mangopizza

Wont happen because it will cost money not worth spending. They will only update when they make a new game in the future.
    • Up x 1
  6. Codex561

• Up x 7
  7. Pikachu

• Up x 7
  8. FateJH

You actually haven't said anything that invalidates his argument. If SOE wants to have XP compatibility, that's their business.
  9. BlackDove

Who cares about Windows XP compatibility? This isn't an ATM or something. We're talking about PC's. Direct X 11 would be beneficial.
    • Up x 1
  10. Codex561

You know someone who uses XP? I certainly dont. Infact I didnt see Vista in quite a while
    • Up x 1
  11. FateJH

In the case of Vista, that's probably a very good thing. I mean, it is Vista.

As far as XP is concerned, I specifically have my desktop specifically set up to dual boot XP 64-bit along with the Windows 7 I list in my signature. My most previous job still used 32-bit XP on its computer terminals.
    It's estimated XP still contributes to 25% of the operating system market out there, with Windows 7 being the only OS above it at 50%.
  12. Udnknome

13. Octiceps

If you're still running Windows XP, that means you're still on a 32-bit OS (nobody ever used 64-bit XP). Which means you have <4GB total usable memory (CPU + GPU RAM). Which is lower than minspec. SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING THIS GAME?!?

The minspec GPU for this game is a GeForce 8600 or Radeon 4850, both of which are DX10 GPU's. Because DX11 is a strict superset of DX10, all DX10 GPU's can run DX11 games just fine, they just won't have the DX11-specific eye candy such as tessellation and DirectCompute.

Why would SOE require DX10 GPU's as a minimum and then only ask for the DX9-only Windows XP? There are DX9 GPU's that are stronger than the 8600, so it's not an issue of raw horsepower. This game should've been DX11 from day one!
    • Up x 5
  14. Vaphell

while market share of XP is generally significant thanks to comp nubs who can't be bothered to upgrade, old people and businesses dragging their feet, steam survey shows XP at 5%, win7 at 62% and win8 at 25%
    As far as gaming is concerned XP is pretty much dead.
    • Up x 2
  15. Octiceps

Exactly. PC gamers upgraded to Vista or 7 ages ago. Heck, some are even using 8. ;)
    • Up x 2
  16. Codex561

25%? Do you have a source for this? Cause last year it was still quite used by people refusing to upgrade.
  17. FateJH

Let me Google it for you. (I mean that in the friendliest way possible.)
    • Up x 1
  18. Iridar51

Windows 8 is actually not so bad, after the 8.1 Update 1 patches. Basically, the same kind of bad as Win 7, but without proper start menu :rolleyes: which was bad in win 7 anyway.
    • Up x 1
  19. ZenitHMaster

B-but what about mah GPU, which is a 220gt and it CANT run dx11!
  20. Goretzu

It's not just WinXP, also consoles, drivers, the reality that DX11 isn't that much of an upgrade over DX9, perception etc.

The reality is games have always lagged behind DX versions, but Microsoft have historically been a bit more ambitous with DX prior to DX10 (I'm not sure anyone would have bothered with DX10 at all if it hadn't been behind the Vista Pay-Wall).

Mutli-core gaming in general has suffered many of the same issues for some of the same reasons.

However the whole thing is becoming less relevent as multicore gaming and newer GPUs appear in the current consoles, as indeed DirectX itself is.