Need more limitations on deployment

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Axehilt, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Frostiken

The fact that you have to compare this game to Battlefield 4 underscores how pathetic and dumbed-down the game is, because as much as old Battlefield vets hated BF3, they hated BF4 more. BF4 currently has far fewer players than even BF3, and BF3 has more players online now, at 11AM Central Time on a Tuesday, than PS2 did total on its launch day.

Or I don't know, what was your point? That because other game are made for stupid COD kids, this one should be too?
    • Up x 5
  2. Mianera

Then get the hell out of here and go play ARMA or PS1 private servers! If you don't like the game then why the heck do you keep playing it?

I mean where is your logic? You support and play a game that you don't enjoy or like?

What, you and you alone are going to sway Sony Online Entertainment, the entire development team and the fanbase to go in your particular direction?

Now THAT's a joke.
    • Up x 1
  3. Goden

I'm just going to make this very clear and plain: If my ability to get to my bases that need help is restricted then I will uninstall the game without a second of hesitation.

I don't play in squads or outfits. I log on for an hour or so, have some fun, and then log off again. That's how I play PS2 now and that's actually how a lot of people play. You will be annoying quite a lot of the more casual players if you force them to have to drive several minutes to get to bases across the map they want to defend.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jbrain

my point is people who leave the game go to other shooters that have easier accessibility. Saying this games strategy revolves around the redeploy system is also something I don't agree with.. We can either have big fights or we can have base roulette in where attackers attack a base.. no one bothers going there cause if they did put in the effort then when they died that would essentially be the end of the fight.. what kind of epic battle would that be ?

Watching server smash proved the game is pretty damn balanced in the way it is now.. attackers and defenders were a good match without too much lopsidedness.. There is a few examples of a very small force getting a sunderer blown up and losing the fight.. but in a platoon there should be more than 1 sunderer.
  5. Axehilt

Again, travel is pretty trivial in this game if you understand that you can pull an aircraft and fly there yourself. Every location is already less than 2 minutes away, and you arrive as a powerful combat vehicle rather than a cruddy infantryman. (But of course if you can move your entire empire's worth of cruddy infantrymen to bludgeon locations on defense, that's enough to automatically win defense everywhere all the time, which is the heart of why the game is made so much shallower by the redeploy options.)
    • Up x 2
  6. Axehilt

It takes a couple minutes (tops) to reach battles when you pull an air vehicle from the warpgate (often you can pull from a closer base.) So it's not like a restriction prevents you from rapidly reaching bases, it would only prevent you from instantly reaching bases.
    • Up x 3
  7. Goden

And in what game are you playing in which vehicles are cheap and throwaway?

Vehicles in PS2 are expensive and have long cooldowns. I cannot afford to throwaway vehicles every time I move from base to base. You're trying to suggest a system of movement which PS2 was not designed for.
  8. Axehilt

Eh, when attackers are spread out -- and especially when they're away from the point -- the easier it is to resecure a base.

In fact this is one of several reasons that the defenders' hard spawn should be further from the capture point, since that's actual place attackers go once they've started the cap -- and the further away from the point the hard spawn is, the easier it is for a smarter, faster force to resecure behind the attacking force. Spreading out the objectives helps combat the zerg (which is bad at adapting) and rewards skillful tactics (like spawning at the next-nearest base and racing over there in a vehicle to resecure -- and to blow up the defending sunderers for easy XP.)
  9. Axehilt

I do this every session. I tend not to "throw them away", as when you show up to an occupied base it's not like you don't want to dish out loads of pain onto your enemies (and arriving in a powerful vehicle is the best way of delivering that pain; and critically is the best way to kill their sunderer(s))

After a battle ends, literally like 98% of the time I'm back in my own vehicle traveling to the next base I want to fight at. So despite the resource/cooldown system, being in a vehicle all the time is very possible (and usually the best course of action, as I've explained.)
    • Up x 2
  10. Goden

Almost none of my vehicles are kitted out for infantry work.

And even if they were it wouldn't matter. Once the enemy is in heart of the base and is capping it your tank/aircraft won't do jack to stop them. You will have to leave your vehicle to attack them which will almost certainly result in the death of your vehicle. Also many bases have walls and barriers (some are even underground) which further make your vehicle pointless. Things like tanks are more made for inter-base fighting rather than fighting in the core of the base itself.

Like I said: The game was not designed with your idea in mind. It just wouldn't work.
    • Up x 1
  11. Scr1nRusher

remove INSTANT ACTION.

its not good of the game anymore because you can't manually select which battle you want to go to.

also its wayy to random.
  12. Goden

It's called Instant Action.

It gets you to the action. That's it.
    • Up x 1
  13. mavix

I'd like to at least try this and see if it helps. The redeploy and 10 sec you are safe button would be changed so that you select a point to redeploy to and base on the distance your time to deploy would be longer. After the timer is up you instantly go from where you were to that spawn.
    ..but I just realized that players could just get around this by blowing themselves up to spawn faster...
    Maybe have redeploy cost infantry resources?
  14. Scr1nRusher

or in the middle of no-where.

or in the middle of a enemy platoon.
  15. Frostiken

I just want some sort of spawn queue. It's irritating as **** when you're taking a base and then suddenly the spawn room vomits out a platoons worth of soldiers instantly as if by magic.
  16. Canno

a) it used to have a LOT more strategy than it does now and that's a real shame.
    b) ...
    c) Yeah because the changes towards getting in to the action faster have done wonders for the population! As we discuss this waiting for the merge to finish.

What's missing is the community building that went on when you had to travel to fights via professional drivers. That 2 or so minutes flying/driving was a good chance to talk, bs, come up with a strat, anticipate the battle - build community. Now it's show up,smash, move on, repeat. Heck, people used to wait for galaxies/sundies to fill (or nearly fill) before taking off and there was VERY little complaints. Now? 1/12, 2/12, 3/12... so much better... *rolls eyes*

Look at any group based MMO that introduces faster ways to get places and you'll find it's community (or sense thereof) starts to degrade.
    • Up x 1
  17. Axehilt

Almost none of my vehicles are kitted for infantry work either, and it doesn't matter, because when I show up at that base the most important players to kill are the ones in vehicles and the most important thing in the entire defense of the base is killing the Sunderer(s).

The only place this breaks down are the occasional bases where attackers' sunderers cannot be reached* by the defenders' ground combat vehicles. That doesn't break things entirely, since air vehicles have access to nearly all sunderer locations, but it partially breaks things for ground vehicles. It's a level design shortcoming, but only affects maybe 10-20% of all bases.

(*meaning reached in a reasonable amount of time. Obviously all sunderers are eventually reachable by ground vehicles, but we're solving for time.)
    • Up x 1
  18. Drol

because defenders have the ability to spawn there!
    How are you going to resecure the point when you can't even get to the base?!

All you keep harping on about is rolling up and taking out sunders like it's child's play - you do know that it is only currently viable because the majority of attack focus is keeping the spawn room under control. Take away the ability for defenders to pile in via spawn and guess where the focus will be.....that's right, stopping your little tank from rolling up to even have a shot at a sundy.
  19. Pootisman

Spawn system is fine. Its not fun beeing too restricted and having to walk/drive for 5min to get to the next fight.

But i agree that sunderers need to be cheaper.
  20. HadesR

I must be playing a different game to everyone else or mine is broken :( ..

The spawn options I normally receive are limited in scope, and to jump backwards and forwards between even fights is nigh on impossible ...

Hell struggle to get a 50/50 fight as an option in the first place ...

Now when the attackers are zerging a base then yup I can Spawn in from across the map ... And so I should be able to .. If the fight is 70/30 in favour of the attackers then it's right that you should be able to spawn and help defend, or else the zerg just gets free reign and even more incentive to " zerg it " for victory ..

So Imo spawn options are fine ..