Server Smash is Over!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GaBeRock, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Iridar51

How in the hell you went from "we're two servers of equal skill" to "we're the best around"?
    • Up x 1
  2. TheShrapnelKing

Uh...you have two equally badass servers which are getting merged into one server. Since both of these servers have proven their mettle against all comers, and since they can't beat each other, it's safe to assume any server one has beaten, the other could also beat.

As such, when these two get merged I don't foresee any other server in the near future being able to stop them in a server smash.
  3. Iridar51

Oh, I guess I missed the part where they fought against everyone else. Sure as hell don't remember anyone inviting me to the fight.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rodinvac

Frankly it's better than Mattherson won even if it was that close and due to a technicality for one reason: BCP being his usual *happy camper* self when the first recount happened.

Speaking of him, wasn't he playing for Waterson?
  5. Nitrobudyn

Mattherson
    Waterson

Fusion!
    [IMG]
    By Your powers combined, here comes

Σatherson

I apologise for my sense of humor.
    • Up x 4
  6. Taemien

The way I see it, as I said, its just like college basketball. Someone has to win or lose by the time the buzzer sounds. Sometimes the ball is in the air and lands after the fact, but the the team with the most points by the rules wins.

When my favorite team wins by the buzzer, its because "they're that good."

When my favorite team loses because the other team won by the buzzer, its because "they got lucky."

But at the end of the day, whomever won, won. Whomever lost, lost. The team that won is the best. Thats why they won. If the team that won wasn't better than the other team.. they would have lost. The only time you don't have a better team is when you allow for a tie. There was no tie here. It was determined that there was a winner and a loser. The winner is the better of the two. You can't really debate that fact.

You can debate the metrics, policies, procedures, and calls for who won. But under the circumstances given there was one better side than the other. Saying "we won in spirit" is akin to saying, "you tried your best." You may not see how it works, but it doesn't change the facts.
    • Up x 2
  7. TheShrapnelKing

Oh but I can. Saying a win is a win is just ********.

I don't see how you can justify saying there was. A one second margin of victory is almost certainly due to chance and fluke, not skill. So, if their victory probably isn't due to superior skill, how can they be the best? That doesn't make any sense.
  8. Plunutsud pls

Grats to both servers on the draw.

Yes it was a draw, because winning such a massive and long battle by merely a second is nowhere near a clean victory.
    • Up x 1
  9. novicez

^Connery vs Emerald incoming..
    • Up x 2
  10. Moridin6

Mattherson did NOT win..
    in OT he clearly says THE NEXT TEAM TO SECURE EITHER THE OCTAGON OR EMC WINS
    then Waterson secures Octagon
    THE TEAM THAT CAPTURES EMC WINS
    wtf???????
    we won, fair and square, and now youre ripping us off with this bs saying Mattherson won, and this Bigger BS picking the Emerald.
    Emerald?
    did emerald fight? no, it was Waterson and Mattherson and one of those names should carry on.
    Waterson, a clear win, getting screwed by the man..
    • Up x 1
  11. hawken is better

No, they said that if Mattherson captures either EMC or The Octagon, they win. If Waterson defends both, they win. Waterson secured The Octagon, Mattherson capped EMC.

I don't really see why Waterson players are so worked up over it. You won. Mattherson was getting destroyed during the entire match, and Waterson was ahead by a mile when 'regulation' time ran out.

Emerald is what we need, SS is over, everything should be fine now.
  12. MaxDamage

Saying "Mattherson wins", is a stretch, as anyone who was playing or watching knows.
    • Up x 3
  13. Moridin6

thats not what i heard at all... 2 places were in contention, and the next to secure One of them wins.
    but sure whatever, its done.. .
    but the name Emerald is Lame, imo
  14. NinjaTurtle

It is by far the most popular neutral choice

Personally I'd like to call it

EmmaWatsonsWatersonSmashedMatthersonFor99%OfTheMatchAndThenCouldn'tHoldItAtTheEnd=MathIsHard
    • Up x 2
  15. HadesR

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  16. Kevibear

Mattherson did not win and naming it Emerald is a kick in the teeth to the players that fought to keep their server names. The name Emerald was most likely decided before the server smash ever happened. I have nothing but disgust for the way the SS was handled.
    • Up x 2
  17. Longasc

Slightly going off-topic, but...

EMERALD?

So the players of Matherson and Waterson fought over the name of the merged server and the result is EMERALD?

SCNR, really?
    (As if Planetside wouldn't have a story/lore and lots of appropriate and related names to offer)
    • Up x 2
  18. Canno

The problem in declaring a winner is that the server smash guys screwed up dozens of ways and it threw the whole ending in to chaos.

Apparently not everyone was clear on the 'sudden death' part. Many thought if it was TIED at the end of regulation (which they screwed the timer up for) then sudden death takes places.

As above they screwed up the timer.

When regulation ended I watched and heard them say "should we announce sudden death?" And the guy with the accent (I don't know the names, sorry) say "No let them play and see how this caps" while the stream watched a bridge base cap for 1m to 1.5m. During that time the population swung about 7% in Vanu favour.

They then announced sudden death, but not which bases. Some say a base was ghost capped in this time and became 'in play' when it shouldn't have.

They then incorrectly said Waterson had to defend both (which made NO sense) Octagon and EMC.

They then said Waterson only has to defend Octagon to win.

Then both again.

In the end the said Mattherson won by taking EMC while saying it was impossible for Waterson to take it back because nothing was rendering.

Then the guy asked for help double checking the numbers.

Then he said sorry, he screwed up, people helped him check and Waterson won.

Trash talking ensues, stream is shut off, most of the chat empties.

Then they post that oops, we re-re-rechecked and Mattherson won have a nice night *flees*

Really marred the awesomeness of the fight. Total shame and I can't see them having any credibility left. Messing up the times, withholding information at critical time, unclear rules, not understanding their own scoring system..
    • Up x 3
  19. toxs

such a close match did the matherson 7% overpop at the end make a difference? discuss
  20. GEWJANA

good idea. lets bring up how waterson had 5% more pop for the full 2 hours.