Server Smash is Over!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GaBeRock, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Badname3073

But look at how it played out. According to the forumside, Waterson was the noob zerg server, and Mattherson was the elite proserver. Remember all that hype and trash talk. And it suddenly turned out that the elite pros of Mattherson are on the same level as the noob zerg on Waterson :D
  2. TheShrapnelKing

Precisely. That point is simply lost on people because, if you ignore externalities, Mattherson won on a technicality. If ever I've seen a "win" that wasn't really a "win" and doesn't even deserve to be called a "win", it's that "win" at EMC.

And yet I'm sure people will try to trump that up as proof that Mattherson is uber1337pr0 and superior, which they very clearly aren't.
    • Up x 2
  3. minhalexus

Emerald? No!

Emeraldson? YES PLEASE!
  4. King Feraligatr

Dammit, I was playing PS1 I think when this was happening. I don't care much for PS2 anymore, but I wish I had at least seen the Server Smash.
  5. Badname3073

To summarize, Mattherson pros suck as much as Waterson noobs. Unless it is the other way around.
  6. InMyName

What outfit disappeared? According to the online outfit list there was still a full compliment of Waterson people on?
    • Up x 1
  7. TheShrapnelKing

It's...in the middle.

It's comes down to Waterson being better than Mattherson thought they'd be.
    • Up x 1
  8. Epic High Five

Yeah we're splitting hairs here. Both servers are exceptionally talented and the future is really bright for all who play on Emerald.

At 00:00, Waterson had the win. At the end of overtime, Mattherson did. Both victories/losses were by the skin of the teeth.

I view it as one of those situations where it was a draw to all rational observers, but SOMEONE has to be declared the winner.

It doesn't sound like it was going to be named either Mattherson or Waterson in either case. Both commands wanted them retired and a new server named.
    • Up x 2
  9. Sagabyte

Emeralds are pricey, which are sold in boutiques, which are businesses, which are sometimes grouped into conglomerates...

*GASP*

EMERALD = NC
  10. Icedude94

I just say that they scrap the overtime rules. Most peoples' computers and connections can't handle that many players crammed into a single hex. Hell, I have a really high end gaming rig and that fight at Esamir Munitions was lagging for me. I was the only person in my outfit with FPS high enough to even aim at anything.

That overtime felt like it was more about who had the better computers, not who had the better players.
  11. z1967

Coming up with a server slogan is going to become that much more difficult for Emerald :|
  12. Latrodectus

I can't wait till you show up on Mattherson so we can discuss your idea of technicalities more intimately.
  13. TheShrapnelKing

I don't know what you're referring to nor do I care. The fact is, anyone who tries to claim Mattherson "beat" Waterson is kidding themselves because they don't want to admit someone could be at their level. You don't even have to admit they're better than you, because they're not, all you have to do is admit they are an exact match.
  14. Epic High Five

Mattherson and Waterson are both really dumb names in a vacuum, the players made them great.

The same will be true of Emerald.

I haven't seen anybody doing that. Pretty much the sentiment on both sides has been, "that was great, now let's get down to business." Between TE and (apparently) TB both servers know what having a huge portion of the population being a gloating, unlikable wreck does to the gameplay for everybody, and avoiding it is really smart.
    • Up x 1
  15. FateJH

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  16. Taemien

I'll give an unbiased opinion here, since I'm a Connery player.

In any big match up in any game. There is rules and policies and procedures that determine who wins and who loses. In this case Matherson won by less than a second. The best way to describe this is through an analogy.

In College Basketball.. the championship can.. and has been decided by something very similar. In the case that a shot is made before the timer ran out.. and while the ball is in the air, the timer hits 0:00. If the shot is made, it counts. If this shot would make the shooter's team win by 1 point on the buzzer, then they are the national champions.

That was a lucky shot. But that still makes the team the national champions. For that season they are The Best. So if Matherson won by one second. Then they are the winners. If Waterson was better.. then they would have won. It wouldn't have come to the wire. But they weren't. So they lost.

Now.. yes there appears to have been a timer glitch. That happens in sports too. More so than you think, even with thousands of dollars spent on those things. There's glitches, human error in penalty calls and so on. Thats what happened here. SOE has to make a judgement as best they can. And that is what happens. Again.. if Waterson was better it wouldn't have come to this. But they weren't, so this is how it is.

In any game there has to be a line that divides the winner and the loser. And that is where the rulings, procedures, and policies come in. And sometimes a call just has to be made by a human being to judge.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheShrapnelKing

I never said Waterson was better. They aren't. I'm simply saying I don't see how Mattherson was.
  18. Ronin Oni

... Waterson won after the recount right o_O

Not that it matters.... coming down to a 1 point difference either way with a couple technical issues blurring the line pretty much spells it out as an even matchup.

The new Emerald server will be awesome
  19. Epic High Five

It was a 46-45 draw in favor of Mattherson. Closest fight I've ever seen at the end there
    • Up x 1
  20. King Feraligatr

Dammit! Although I play and care for PS1 much more than PS2, I still should have logged onto the PTS and seen this as a sideliner. Dam me! (I'm a Connery player though so who won was inconsequential to me).