It almost seems like air is hurting the game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Codex561, May 6, 2014.

1. LibertyRevolution

I refuse to pull a max to scare away an ESF.
    I have way too many other infantry consumables to keep up on to waste 350 resources on a max every time a ESF comes by...
    • Up x 5
  2. WyrdHarper

Sounds more like a case of you needing to learn to stockpile things.

I regularly abuse deployables, and yet still manage to easily maintain a stockpile of
    40/40 Frag Grenades
    40/40 Sticky Grenades
    40/40 Tank Mines
    40/40 Claymores
    40/40 C4
    40/40 Resto Kits (Don't have medkits unlocked--may be the other way around)

And even on a bad night almost never dip below 30/40 on any of those. Even a moderately quiet fight in an infantry hex will earn you a good amount of infantry resources, and if things are really bad just go cap a biolab.
    • Up x 3
  3. GaBeRock

Then it looks like you're SOL. If you refuse to either spend resources to pull a counter or coordinate with nearby heavies for G2A lock, hoping someone else does that for you, you kind of deserve to get farmed. The pilot was willing to spend his resources, and mostrous piles of certs to aquire his loadout and upgrades, so he has the moral (and literal) higher ground in this situation.
  4. EliteEskimo

It would be easier to focus on pure AV roles if Light Assaults didn't have C4, the HA didn't have Lancer's, and the engineer didn't have a still non rendering AV turret.
    • Up x 2
  5. XXBLACKATTACKXX

ESFs vs ground is not even a problem.

lolpods are fine against infantry no changes needed.
    Flak is a hard counter along with other Esfs.

Libs on the other hand. Those things are just WAY too good.
    • Up x 1
  6. Archlyte

Libs are broken in PS2. They have too much health in A2A so that when upgraded and with two monkeys at controls ESFs are no problem unless they are teamed. The Belly Gun damage should be next to nothing against ESFs.

The timers should also be more robust, making 24/7 Lib play harder to achieve.

Refunds and walking papers for the Libtards would be awesome. They were strategic bombers in PS1. In this game they are just stupid.
    • Up x 3
  7. LibertyRevolution

I don't stockpile things.. I don't want to change my playstyle when the resource revamp comes and remove that.

This is my normal plan of attack, but it always seems like no one else cares or doesn't have an air lock-on..
    • Up x 1
  8. penandpencilman

This game has a very high skill ceiling and indeed is punishing for new players. In short, you typically have two people, people who do and do not know what they're doing, with vary little variation in between.

1st 2-3 months in this game I has getting 20-30 certs an hour with a KD of .5. I learned, googled, played with friends, and became a competent pilot and infantry player. Time makes you a better player then any other factor.

I've found the majority of people complaining "AIR OP GAH!" are either almost exclusive infantry players or newer/bad pilots. In addition, one single skyguard should not be able to take down a experienced lib crew (as it is now).

Finally, you can't implement air in a game without them having the capability to have damage ground infantry and vehicles; otherwise, air2air becomes its own game while people on the ground have free range over terrain.
    • Up x 2
  9. GaBeRock

IMO, there should be a lightning armour than makes the lightning significantly more durable against air, but less durable against other tanks, to encourage mixed air-armour platoons, and then infantry get an antivehicle nerf. I want to see aircraft relying on tanks to get into a hex, then tanks relying on aircraft to keep the hex locked down. Infantry on the side of the tanks/aircraft then get free reign to cap points, because the opposing, infantry only army gets murderfied, unless it too brings in tanks to clear ground AA, then fighters to take out libs so they can have controlcof the skies and thus the hex.
    • Up x 2
  10. GaBeRock

Hopefully soe takes the harasser route and makes libs heavy fighters. Much less durability than now, but slightly higher speed and afterburners stock.

Also, the reason lib 24/7 play is possible is because the three people in a lib can cycle aircraft, and with all the downtime any good pilot engenders getting place to place and repairing at critical health, aquisition timers go by pretty fast. The aquisition timer on libs is actually fairly balanced- if you don't want to run into it, you have to make sure your friends cooperate and have certed libs as well.
  11. Archlyte

I agree with your solution. And the rotation is a good point. I just wish that the air game was better balanced and tuned. One pro-quality lib team can invalidate the efforts of a sizeable amount of infantry and vehicles. Lately I don't see them being countered effectively in many situations, leaving the ground battles to be determined by whether or not there is too much air.

It's a game, which means that to maintain interests it needs a give and take. Too much lib spam leads to log-offs.
    • Up x 2
  12. TheFamilyGhost

Wow. A plea to censor air in the interest of keeping the game going.

How desperate is that?
    • Up x 2
  13. DrPapaPenguin

I think people whining instead of actually trying to learn the ropes of bringing the air units down hurts the game even more. Newbies will die period, shall we remove guns for their benefit? If they get frustrated because they are not immediately pro, they should not play FPS games.
    • Up x 4
  14. Bl4ckVoid

MUCH MORE POPULAR. Flash is OK too, because it is totally useless :D
    • Up x 1
  15. Bl4ckVoid

ESF is not hard to counter, but what is the point of air, really?

Most people prefer to play infantry, that is why every biolab fights becomes a huge zerg battle. No air and no snipers!
    AA is not fun in this game, so planes only appeal to people who fly them, for others it is just a big pain in the ***. As for flying I do not really understand how is that fun with a non-existing / kiddie flight model.

Frankly that is exactly why I stick to zerg fights mostly now, because every small scale battle is ruined by a freaking lib.
    • Up x 2
  16. Solan888

On the air side:

A. AA turrets have MORE than 1km range, and they can easily hit you from ANOTHER HEX...its just stupid
    B/1.The amount of ground lockons
    B/2. The amount overpowered coyotes in the skies (yes coyotes are op..period, the rockets can instantly turn in a 120-140degree, and you have at least a +2-3cm radius besides you're little crosshair where it WILL hit the enemy, it takes no effort to use it, and lets don't even talk about the reload time.)

On the ground side:

A.The lack of proper tutorial in the game, not even a fancy youtube vid on "hey these are AA turrets...you can wreck stuff with it, or lolpods hurt"
    B. Air has no objective, just to swarm somewhere and farm ground or a base
    C. look at all the ehmm "well" designed bases where they can lolfarm you in a dam window...
  17. Bl4ckVoid

Air should only be effective against concentrated enemy like in real life. Against dispersed enemies air is useless IRL and it should be in the game too.

Removing thermal sights would be a right 1st step.
    • Up x 2
  18. JesusVoxel

The thing is, we have way too many players pulling liberators and air as a whole. And why are so many people pulling air, especially liberators?

Same was with Harassers, ZOE maxes, magriders.

This game needs to restrict how much vehicles can be pulled from bases. Also it would need restrictions on infantry classes (anti-vehicle spam, medic spam, sniper spam). But no, someone thought it would be a good idea to allow unlimited acces to obtain any infantry class or any vehicle.
    • Up x 3
  19. Goretzu

It'd certainly be way more popular if they'd kept Air the same as PS1; Mozy (A2A), Reaver (A2G), Libertator (proper bomber), Lodestar (banzai attack).
    • Up x 2
  20. PieceKeeper00

Strange thread.

I'm a new player, I started a month ago. I'm average at best at killing ****, but I know how to find and use cover so I don't see the big deal. When I get blown up by air, it's when I'm in the open, which is what it's supposed to be. I'm standing there with my repair gun and I can't do anything, I'm getting suppressed into a corner by a plane......tough luck, war isn't always fair so I die.

I read this forum and I see great players who are amazing at getting kills of all kind, but a pretty big chunk of the player base might be playing the wrong game, or are just under 25 years old and are still waiting for their balls to drop, because what I get from the threads around here is that everything is totally over powered if you can't solo kill it easily with a pistol.

Everytime a bomber plane takes out a platoon of poorly playing rushers stampeding in the open like a pack of spazzed out shih-tzus, they call it farming....Anytime someone knows how to take advantage of the stupidity of the enemy and racks up the kills, he's farming and whatever he's using is massively OP.
    • Up x 2