April 29th Maintenance Update

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icebalm

You don't even know what "things like this" is! We, as customers, have no idea what has "gone wrong" so to speak. How do you know they don't have contingency and rollback plans? Do you realize how complex of a machine the desktop you're using is, let alone interdependent server farms in data centers located world wide? This is not just a simple game patch, this is an overhaul of their entire commerce platform requiring modifications to all their games, accounting, and infrastructure systems! *Of course* something was going to go wrong. You can't plan for every possible failure, you can only plan for the failures you can think of.
    • Up x 1
  2. CubanRefugee

Ah, the entitled masses of a F2P community.

Some of you need to get off your high horses and work a *real* job in IT Operations sometime. When things break during a critical update, people don't just sit around with thumbs up their rears. Everybody scrambles to figure out what went wrong, and people put in ridiculously long hours until it gets fixed, all the while getting yelled at by their bosses' boss (who doesn't know how to fix anything, and just knows that money is being lost).

Give SOE (specifically the SOE folks that post on the forums giving us updates) a break. They're doing their best to get things back up and running, and I'm sure they realize that some of us do pay a monthly subscription, or used day/month boosts. They'll find some way to make it square with users.
    • Up x 1
  3. Villanuk

Well its standard practice in the UK and im sure in many other countries, certainly the US, when you pay for a service and the service goes down your are reimbursed for your loss, ie your paying for a service - product you are not getting, that is not greedy at all, it IS what they are entitled to and that's why i mentioned paying members.

Take in mind, some members may not have a lot of money, they maybe students, so indeed they should be given something back.
  4. Meshblorg

5. Phreaky

I think people should stop whining about SOE. They're doing all they can to make the game run again and all you are doing is complaining over such a short period as 24 or so hours?... Don't you have other games to play, friends to talk to or anything else? :s

I also find the idea of people getting free station cash/certs/etc silly. I personally don't think people should be entitled for anything special or boosts of any kind because of this... Be glad you can even play the game!

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other games for you to play and whine about.
  6. Meshblorg

7. Phinigma

I agree. I pay my electric bill, if the power goes out they reimburse me. I pay for internet, if my service goes down, they reimburse me. Why isn't it the same here? Furthermore, how is giving me the "opportunity" to have double certs during a time of "your" choosing reimbursing me for the money I've spent? By my estimates, SOE owes the paying members for the time out of service. I accept cash, paypal, all major credit cards, and of course SC and CERTS. :D
    • Up x 3
  8. Villanuk

Agreed, but i dont think we are going to get Cash :D But if so, im game :)
  9. ShadWulf

These entitled rants are great for exposing consumer ignorance.

When you buy something the only thing you are owed is the specific item you paid for. The moment you unlocked that helmet or that camo, you received everything you were owed. Your feelings aside, that's how it works in this game.

I think it goes without saying that they will compensate their players with something. A double XP weekend is more than fair, your situation not withstanding.

The Planetside 2 team has time and time again shown that they are dedicated to making the people who play this game as happy as they can. Demanding they give you a specific answer about how they are going to rectify a problem that is equally frustrating for them is just bad manners.
    • Up x 3
  10. VanuSShooter

I rather wait one week and have no issues rather than waiting 12 hours and have a billion bugs/issues.
    • Up x 1
  11. icebalm

Really? You get credits from your power and internet providers if the service goes down? Wow. First I've ever heard of that.
    • Up x 2
  12. Munr

I understand your logic there. However, I can't support the student statement. If someone has low income, they probably shouldn't spend it on a game subscription... :D
  13. Phreaky

"The ******** in this one is strong"
  14. ericray

I am sorry to see that you suffer from a serious case of mental illness but there are things you can do for treatments.
    However in the meantime I would like to bring to your attention (also replying to your incredibly ignorant comment) here that we as paying customers expect the service we are paying for to be simply accessible at all times. Now i am not pointing out the fact that the game has been at a pitiful state for some times now (lags , hitches , disconnection , crashes , imbalance , no meta game improvements , late arrival of updates and broken promises). So what you're saying is complete and utter BS and you should probably stop taking SOE's side since they don't really have any defense left. After the briggs screw up, These guys are lucky PS2 is to some extent a unique game or else me along with thousand others would have been LOOOOONG gone from this game.
  15. Phinigma

Well, I would be happy with a new horn for my flash. I want the one that sounds like the demon chuckling. :p But really, I'll still continue to play this game, I'll still continue to buy membership, I'll still spend ridiculous amounts of money on SC. Because, I'm an addict. :D Just bring it back up SOE...... Y U NO WORRRRRRK?!?!?
    Ok. time to go play DCUO until i can satisfy my addiction when the servers come back up.
    (Gonna need lib gunners, vanu, waterson. LMK.) ;)
    • Up x 1
  16. supernet2

Im looking at this as a P2P not F2P. Working in the IT industry specifically developing working databases for payroll systems (examples like ebenefits, and online enrollment solutions) failure to get a product up and running is a massive loss in business, and loss in business means your *** is on the line. I know far better than alota people how it works. But its a job. As for SOE, i couldn't say, server maintenance isn't that complex, nor is testing and sampling the code. For crist sakes why not run the server on server clusters so that when something ***** the bed they can just do a simple roll back, and then run diagnostics/look at the logs to see what caused said error in the recent update, then correct it and reupload it. Longest i've ever had a enrollment system down for was 24minutes. And that was a grueling 24minutes because people are trying to get their health insurance, people are trying to check their accounts, and something went wrong from a few tweaks. I've yet to see SOE do a system roll back when a update breaks something, they just instead patch a patch ontop of a patch making it worse.

I really wonder, how they specifically tackle problems on the IT side of things. For the F2P and P2P players, who do understand i wonder, who would be more angry? The person who pays for a product and doesn't recieve it (no compensation{???}) or the person who pays nothing and gets nothing (?) {Free to play players tend to be mooches but at the same time, this is how you entice players to become pay to play players based on perks, and simple things that arn't to game breaking much if at all).

Edit: Think of F2P players as players who are going to use a enrollment system. Their going through a webEx. Say that webEx is unavailable thanks to the system being down. Thats lost revenue, thats lost chance to show your product and get it sold, or get it in use based on the pay vs free use systems. Then think, wtf? What is the best they can do for those interested? Get the crap up and running asap else risk losing a large chunk of their potential investors (subscribers, whatever you want to call em).
    • Up x 1
  17. Thunderdrunk RX

Fail at Star Wars quotes you do.

"The ******** is strong with this one"
  18. ShadWulf

It seems to me like you don't understand the nature of the transactions you mentioned in this post.

When you pay for electricity, Internet, television, etc, you are paying for what you use. If there is an outage, you are reimbursed because you did not use the same amount that you paid for.

When you bought a helmet or a camo in Planetside 2, the moment you unlocked those items you received exactly what you paid for.
    • Up x 1
  19. Munr

Radar, I have an idea.

MAC-ban everyone who is sporting an ungrateful attitude!

Nah, I know you guys are too nice to do something like that. It's an idea though lol
    • Up x 1
  20. NinjaTurtle

They had anticipation of things that would go wrong. That is why the update was delayed a couple of times. The reason it is taking so long is because it effects their whole business and every game.

After the **** Briggs has gone through I'm sure a little waiting won't hurt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.