Is the vulcan viable now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kadney, Apr 18, 2014.

1. kadney

With that tiny little buff, is it finally on par with the Saron and the Enforcer? Or is the Halberd still the superior weapon?..
  2. Raxor

For mid to long range, Halberd is the only viable option i think. Id like it if they changed the prowler version to have a longer min damage range from 10 > 50 (similar to the tankbuster) or increase velocity so it can hit longer range targets.

I just wish they could find a way to make it mesh with anchor, yet not overshadow alternatives.

I did notice more shots hit which is good, same with my gunner when we switched it up. Ill need to give it more time to really see if the small buff was worth it.
    • Up x 2
  3. DevDevBooday

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAHA

No.

Its still useless.
    • Up x 5
  4. z1967

As long as it has the 10m effective range it is going to be a horrible weapon choice over the Halberd :|
    • Up x 1
  5. Goodkat

my AP/Saron stealth racer mag gank tank gets tons of Prowler kills. Reason? They don't have vulcan.

I jump them in close (well within 10m sometimes) where vulcan would shred me, but I am safe because TR thinks vulcan sucks...

So yeah, vulcan is BAD! NEVER equip it. ;)
  6. Stormsinger

The Vulcan's enemies live long, and usually prosper.

I wouldn't recommend it.

(It's good at point blank, but thats where C4 lurks... stick with other options for now.)
  7. EliteEskimo

The Vulcan buff did almost nothing to make it more competitive, and there is still no reason to pull it over the Halberd unless you're fighting tanks within an Amp Station. The buff is like you nearly totaled your car, took it to the car wash, put a new coat of paint on it and then took it out for a spin again.:rolleyes:

Until the Vulcan is competitive at 200 meters and tapers off in utility until 300 meters after which it becomes useless than I don't see it becoming good. I also don't see them changing it back into a point blank tank buster Gatling gun again so I wish people would stop asking for that.
  8. DevDevBooday

The problem is not just the gun, its the fact that no gunner wants to use it, Prowlers are an artillary vehicle that excel at Anchoring on a hill and bombarding. No Vulcan gunner sticks around watching you get kills whilst they wait for a tank to come within 20 metres.
    • Up x 2
  9. SteamBoiler

I feel the vulcan is even more viable than it was before.

I have 62 hours in the prowler as of now and most of it is spent running Fire Suppression, NAR, Racer, AP rounds and Vulcan Secondary.

The vulcan is amazing at what it does, short range extreme damage. No tank can beat a 2/2 AP vulcan prowler close range except the Vanguard because of the shield.

The reason why the vulcan is more viable now is not because of the CoF buff but because of the Vanguard shield reduction from 3000 to 2000. If I can swing around to the rear or even side of a vanguard, I find I have a fighting chance toe to toe with a vanguard. Early use of fire suppression is somewhat like a shield in that it lets me take an extra shell.

I believe that a prowler with a vulcan is the best close range tank in the game right now because of the amazing damage it puts out. Sure it's very dangerous fighting close range but its very exciting. I like the vulcan the way it is, it plays a big part in making the prowler the most versatile tank in the game in that it allows it to get down and dirty with the other tanks. The key is good decision making and flanking. Don't just blindly rush into a zerg and expecting results. Find stragglers or flank.

The hardest part is finding a gunner because of the bad reputation the vulcan has. But if you talk to him and let him know what you are going to do I find they are more than willing to stay with you and end up having a blast when they realize how fast the vulcan can bring down armor. I have made many more gunner friends running this loadout then the Anchor mode AP/Halberd prowler.

In a nutshell, vulcan is a high risk high reward weapon and thats what I like about it
  10. Crayv

And the problem of this comes from the Prowler is a tank that doesn't know what it wants to be. Without lockdown the Prowler looks like a tank that is suppose to be a fast moving flanker tank, you get in close and destroy an enemy tank with pure damage. The Vulcan seems made to complement that (and on the Harasser it did so perfectly).

Lockdown is completely counter intuitive to this. It is something to use at a long enough range where you can safely attack without fear of something getting behind you. However the weapons are still intended for their original purpose of getting in close. The Saron or Enforcer would much more greatly complement this. For AI the PPA is more suited for ranged bombardment than the Marauder (the C85 is just bad on any tank).
    • Up x 2
  11. SteamBoiler

This is why I just use Fire Suppression nowadays. The best thing I ever did for the sake of game enjoyment was replace lockdown with fire suppression.
    • Up x 1
  12. sestun

The Vulcan is still a waste of cert. The Prowler is a stand off tank. If your close enough for the Vulcan to hit anything, your already dead.
  13. XXBLACKATTACKXX

is the Vulcan viable
    lol funny

Unless you have a harasser Vulcan and a crew who knows how to use then it is good. unless infantry shoot it.
    Vulcan on a prowler is not viable because prowlers usually lockdown far away and the vulcan needs to be pointblank.
    It is so situational that it has no advantages because using it is a huge disadvantage in 90% of engagements.
  14. The Red One

Vulcan was already way better than halberd on a harasser because the Vulcan was made for close range tank hunting so I go with my Vulcan harasser and I can destroy at least 1 MBT and 2 other vehicles before having to escape for repairs so Vulcan is probably only good on harasser since it can do lots of damage to tanks and a good harasser driver can dodge cannon shells and circle slow tanks like magrider or vanguard at a close range so that they can't rotate their guns fast enough to shoot the harasser
  15. Hotel88A

Make the vulcan viable at long range and it'll be another vanguard shield BS. Anti-everything gun, that excels at all ranges...yeah, i can see that happening.
  16. EvilKoala

They should just make the Vulcan an AI gun (think MCG on steroids, maybe 112 dmg @ 1000 RPM, 5x300rnd mags, 1-1.5 deg fixed COF, no spool up) and change the Marauder to fire Fractures. Done.. fixed.

Alternatively.. The vulcan could become a multibarreled rotary fracture launcher.
  17. Arrowfaster

Vulcan is a perfectly viable weapon in my opinion. I used it my self and love it. It is great for protecting you against light assaults, it can deal decent damage to liberators that are trying to tankbust you, and it is amazing against tanks at short range. Now you are all complaining that vulcan lacks at long range. It does, but you don't really need a long range weapon on a AP anchor prowler. I mean if you are deployed and engaging a distant target the main gun itself will always win against both the vanguards and magriders, where as vulcan will make sure that you win against them even at point blank range where you are not able to deploy. Vulcan is a great weapon but it is very specialized and not fit for everyone playstyle. It is our privilege as TR to have such a weapon while NC and VS don't have anything like it and if you really want an enforcer or sauron like weapon you could always run a halberd which acts in much like the same way. Check my prowler guide video I made if you are interested and upcoming prowler gameplay footage. Cheers :)
  18. Arrowfaster

Wrong on so many levels. A fully certed AP, vulcan prowler can take on any tank at point blank range, provided you know what you are doing. If you deploy in time in front of a vanguard you will kill it, if you don't deploy and instead drive around it's side to the back while exchanging blows, you will still kill it.
  19. Frozen-K

Still useless, sorry. Cert your halberd, get a good gunner, use it, love it.

If you drive up to any vanguard driver that knows how to rotate their hull, you're going to get your face murdered. The TTKs between the prowler and vanguard are close enough that if the vanguard delays the kill for 0.6 seconds, the vanguard will win. Even if you kill the vanguard, you're still at close range with a bunch of angry NC around, which means you lose the tank anyway. The only time I could ever see a vulcan being useful is against magriders, but even then, you'd just wish you'd brought a halberd so your gunner could accomplish things at distances longer than 30 meters.
  20. Arrowfaster

TeraRax and myself have killed our share of vanguards at close range so it is perfectly doable, and that was even BEFORE the shield nerf. Using the NC infantry as an arguments sounds a bit silly to me because according to that logic Vanguard drivers should also complain that if they use their tank the way it was supposed to be used (getting face to face) they will get killed by TR infantry. At least the prowler has the speed and maneuverability to get away from hostile infantry.
    I agree with you on vulcan being very effective against magriders, I will upload the video tonight where my driver and I managed to kill 2 AV magriders that engaged us at the same time. Also I forgot to mention that Vulcan is by far the best anti harraser weapon since it is easy to keep landing hits on the harraser that is driving around you. As for the range issue you are mentioning, mate if you have a target outside of a vulcan range you are better off just deploying and having the vulcan gunner get out and repair. The max reload AP with anchor mode maxed out is insane, and even a halberd gunner is better off just repairing you because the difference in dps dealt is negligible compared to the anchored main gun. In fact having your gunner repair you while you shoot will actually allow you to dish out more damage on the enemy tank due to the fact that by staying alive for longer you will be able to maintain the insanely high dps for longer. I hope this makes sense to you because I admit it is a bit confusing.

BUT the biggst problem vulcan REALLY has is the fact that gunner tends to get bored on it. That is truly the only issue it has, because at longer range repairs benefit you more then the extra little dps that a halberd might get you. Overall a anchor, ap, vulcan prowler is potent at all ranges, having virtually no weaknesses (aside from enemy air). The biggest weakness like I said again is the fact that gunner tends to get bored and refuses to stay on it or even get in the vulcan prowler. Cheers