Fixing Reflex Sights

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dBMachine, Mar 5, 2014.

1. dBMachine

The other thread got closed. Most likely because it was promoting the use of 3rd party software which is understandable.

But the underlying issue is completely legitimate. We need reflex sights that are accurate. Period. When there is so much talk about MLG potential than things like sight consistency becomes extremely important.

That's not how red dot sights work in real life nor is it how they should work in a competitive game.
    • Up x 15
  2. BoomBoom4You

I agree 100%, but I think they may have addressed this already...
    • Up x 2
  3. starlinvf

Guns are also not perfectly centered at all times, riflemen don't raise their weapon between their eyes, and soldiers aren't trained to sprint out in the open and quick scope as their primary tactic.

Personally I think all the attempts of trying to "MLG" the game always focus on the wrong aspects, and pushes this game squarely toward arena shooter mindset (which the game seeks to break away from). Obviously things can be made better for usability and game flow, but MLG should not be used for justification on conflicting matters like this.
    • Up x 9
  4. Killerdude8

*uses MLG as an Argument for Balance in PS2*

*laughed off of Forumside*

Under no circumstance, Should they ever Balance the game towards MLG-pro-1337-420-scopezshot

The sights are fine as they are.
  5. Kronic

Video that shows what the OP is referring to. This "feature" also affects all non-overlay sights. This needs to be fixed.
    • Up x 9
  6. WTSherman

The point of reflex sights is that they don't have to be perfectly centered. It creates an optical illusion such that no matter what angle you look through the scope at, the dot appears to be where the bullet will land.

This means if you aim through, say, an M68 CCO (one of the red dot sights the US army uses) and your eye is not fully in line with it, the dot will not appear in the center of the scope. It will instead appear wherever the barrel of the gun is aimed, assuming it is zeroed properly. This is why the CCO (Close Combat Optic) is popular for, well, close combat. You can quickly shoulder your rifle, not really worry about your cheek weld, and still generally expect to hit where you're aiming. It's also nice for shooting with a gas mask on, which forces you to look through the sights crooked.

The in-game equivalent would be the dot staying in the center of your screen (where your shot is always "aimed" by default, CoF aside) no matter how much the frame of the sight moves. This could be achieved by rendering the dot on your HUD when you ADS, rather than drawing it on the model.
    • Up x 16
  7. DrPapaPenguin

Use the old fashioned way of either a marker or sticky tape in middle of the screen. Hassle-less, completely free and usable by anyone.
    • Up x 1
  8. nallar

Just a reminder, reflex sights are supposed to work this way as well - calling our current sights reflex sights is a lie.

IRL reflex sight: [IMG]
    • Up x 11
  9. Paperlamp

10. LibertyRevolution

I necroed the old mumble crosshair overlay thread from december when I saw that video in the thread you posted paperlamp.

We need to get SOE to official say this is bannable before half the outfits are running around with 3rd person crosshairs.
  11. nallar

We need to get SOE to fix scopes so people don't feel the need to draw dots on their monitors.
    • Up x 5
  12. LibertyRevolution

Do people really draw dots on their monitors? Are there really people that bad off they will go that far for an advantage?

I would be happy with them just saying, "Using ANY 3rd party software overlay to give you an in game advantage is bannable".
  13. nallar

Yes, they do.

It's an advantage that should not exist, because everyone should have it. Making the aiming less random makes skill more important, it's similar to why TR are complaining about high random horizontal recoil. Nobody likes to pray to the random number gods.
    • Up x 5
  14. Drudid

really?? realllllllly??? you completely missed the point of his post, if it went any further over your head it would currently be classed as a satellite.

this is not saying "this will make mlg better" its saying "fix the sodding game" the use of mlg in this instance is to show how non-functional the sights are. who is going to want to play competitively if you aren't even aiming straight

the sights are NOT fine, that is the point, you probably haven't played enough to notice, but all the sights are borked, the reason so many people use things like HS/NV is because it isn't . and thats inconsistency if i ever saw it

SOE need's to fix this damn issue, because all thats going to happen is them banning people for fixing their own problems. this was raised over a year ago and theyve done nothing
    • Up x 4
  15. Drudid

you have this misconception that they are doing it for an "advantage" no they are doing it to remove the arbitrary disadvantage enforced upon them by lazy development.
    if every scope swayed, and was crap, then maybe it could be classed as a design feature, but some sights DONT, the NV is one that is always pinpoint, its why people use it.

i dont understand how people think this shouldnt be fixed?
    • Up x 2
  16. LibertyRevolution

I always thought the crosshairs being off on the reflex scopes was just how the game is, it is part of the SOE balance system.
    HSNV is an in game overlay, it was a stable crosshair, so they gave it sway to balance it against reflex.

I don't think they intend to make the bullets go where the crosshair is when your moving, I think its off on purpose for balance.

Aiming in this game is random, there is random cof, its meant to be random.
    High horizontal recoil is SOE balance for the high ROF.
  17. nallar

Currently, we have a cone of fire around the center of the screen. Using an overlay does not remove the cone of fire, it just means you know exactly where the cone of fire is centered.

In any case, incorrect sights simply can not be used as a balancing mechanic as they can be easily circumvented with no feasible method of detection.
  18. Drudid

yeah they intend it to go to the direct middle of your screen,
    you pay certs to get a more precise sight that aids at range, but hurts you at cqc (because soe was too lazy to only put zoom on the scope itself instead of the surrounding area) but what you actually get is a sight that misleads you, and makes you significantly worse .. thats not balance, that is broken mechanics.

they were too lazy to put a static crosshair on the hud and use the sight it self as a window to see that crosshair, but hey lets fanboy out and say it was intended to make more precise sight options, LESS PRECISE?
  19. phreec

Please keep your mouth shut. This is a video game with floating tanks and you're comparing it to real life. Properly aligned aimpoint has nothing to do with "MLG".
    • Up x 4
  20. DrPapaPenguin

Not specifically for this game, but yeah, I actually put a dot on my monitor. It was for ET:QW, to get me a cross-hair for 3d person view in vehicles. It's more a point of reference even than a true cross-hair.