[Video] The HSR-1: Revealed (Semi-auto scout rifle)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mustarde

After the success of my SOAS-20 video, I decided to see if I could make the HSR-1 work with similar effectiveness. I initially tried to put a laser sight on and hipfire as I had seen others do, but it was outclassed by all other weapons in hipfire range. In order to make this weapon work you need headshots up close, and controllable fire at mid range.

Thus, I went back to the drawing board, changing from IRNV to 2x reflex, putting on a compensator and foregrip. It was a whole new weapon, and I quickly found myself comfortable on the front lines providing overwatch for my allies. This video is a compilation of several sessions I had with the HSR-1. It is now a weapon I reach for much more often than ever before.

SOE recently buffed the velocity and minimum damage of the semi-auto scout rifles, making them even more viable. I think you will be surprised when revisiting this weapon, or trialing it for the first time! Enjoy.

Music: Ode to Sleep, Twenty One Pilots

Thanks to ZoranTheBear for his rant at the end :)
    • Up x 11
  2. Bape

good song and good laugh lol hello kitty ordainment
    • Up x 1
  3. Plunutsud pls

Nice shooting.

I really can't force myself to play with anything but a bolt action sniper rifle.

Those OHK headshots are just tooo satisfying.
  4. FocusLight

Damn you Mustarde now I got to go back and give my lovable scout-rifle some more love.

I really had other plans for today. Oh well.

Btw Plunutsud pls:

FRIENDLY FIRE!!!! :oops:

Followed by

ALLIED FORCE CASUALTY :eek:

German on Japanese action is no joke. That is all o7
  5. ZeroErrorz

why compensator instead of the suppresor ?, also im the one who made the spec-ops loadout (which i see you tried based on the attachment) which you just said SUCK,im not mad or anything but is my loadout is tad bad or is it just not fitting your playstyle, im open to critism about the loadout.
    btw the music is kinda lacking compared to most of your older vids the best example of your music choice would be opportunism,
    all up nice montage.
  6. Phyr

Did you notice an improvement with a forward grip?
  7. Mustarde

At the cost of a rather long weapon draw time, yes I noticed a difference. Particularly when spamming close range targets, more shots connected with the foregrip. Just be careful if you knife someone and they live, it's faster to go to the secondary after a swipe.

I wanted to like the suppressor build but too many shots miss at mid range. Also it took away from my ability to accurately hit mid range targets on the move due to bullet velocity. In the end, the combination you see in the video worked best for me.

Music is a funny thing. I get lots of complements and criticism with every video I make regarding song choice. I do take suggestions, so feel free to send them my way via twitter! @themustarde
  8. Paperlamp

In the first kill it seems like you are really not doing yourself any favors strafing while firing while using a RDS which're known to not indicate where your shots are actually going. The heavy hadn't seen you yet and you weren't being fired on to need to move around at that moment either. I'm curious if that's a mistake on your part, or if I'm missing something and it was the right move.

You also seem to go for one shot + one knife in CQC, but it doesn't kill since 334 + 625 damage = only 959 damage.

Anyway, the main reason I see to use these guns are -

• Harder to notice semi-auto fire
    • Superior ability to kill targets behind cover
    • Able to deal with multiple targets per mag more effectively than most other infil weapons

I still think nano really hurts these guns pretty badly though, and that they're overall a bad choice most of the time.
  9. ZeroErrorz

i normally crouch down and holdbreath with the irnv at range, to get maximum accuracy bonus since i like to just take my time and line up the target, as for the laser sight i use it for medium-short range engament since i dont like needing to ads when those O $hit moment happen, as for the suppresor yea your going to lead ALOT with it but once you know how to do it you will kill with it, just dont over do it i some time as well lead in 5m lol and i see you ad-ad and w-s strafe ALOT does that taken into consideration when taking the attachment ?
  10. Mustarde

I never stand still when shooting. Ever. I farm people who stand still while shooting.

I think the shot + knife move you saw me make later in the video was more reflexive than intentional. I usually try to avoid getting that close with the scout rifles anyways.

I will always be a bolt action believer. But the scout rifles are much more viable than upon release and offer great diversity in both engagement style and range.
  11. Paperlamp

Then why use such a terrible sight for shooting while moving?
  12. Epic High Five

You may have convinced me to run ASC on my infil (ohmygod guys do this) and to give the post-buff automatic scouts a chance (though as an NC I'm be remiss to use anything but a Cyclone), but I promise you one thing Mustarde:

You will never, ever convince me that the Shadow is not a hot pile of garbage, worse in every way than the low zoom semi-auto snipers (Impetus, in the case of the NC). That video revealed that you're quite good at what you do, but it looked in every way like the times I get bored and run a Rebel primary to see how well I can do with it :p
  13. Psykmoe

But you can't play a semi-auto sniper quite like Mustarde plays the semi-scout because the proper snipers get their accuracy crippled by ADS strafing.I mean I guess you could but you'd land a lot fewer shots I expect.

The Semi-automatic scout rifles have the best Stand-Move ADS cone of fire of any infiltrator primary, snipers the worst.
    • Up x 1
  14. Epic High Five

My abilities to strafe-stop-fire-strafe-stop-fire have been forged in the fire of 5,000 SAW, 1300 Reaper, 1200 X11, and 1200 EM6 kills.

I have trouble NOT doing this at this point.

I'll have to give it a shot after the buff, but going from a 4 shot kill to a 4 shot kill in terms of damage and from Mercenary to DMR in terms of velocity doesn't really scream out much to me.
    • Up x 1
  15. Takoita

Thank you for sharing!

I've had some surprisingly good kills and some spectacular misses with this gun, but overall I think that I'll be able to do better if I practice with it enough. Being as good as the user is... that's a nice feeling for a weapon to inspire, IMHO.

I can't say I'll ever put its poor cousin (the battle rifle) to use outside of VR room though. I've seen some people run around with it, I got killed by it, but I simply can't get shots on target with the thing. That's a shame, my HA could use some of that little extra reach in one of his loadouts. :(
    • Up x 1
  16. Mustarde

So jelly of the rebel...

I used the shadow last night on test server in a private Amerish scrim and had some OMG moments. It's about the same as the HSR-1 from what I felt, and will probably give you similar results to what you see in this video.

That being said, I don't know if I really place the HSR-1 above the SOAS-20 or other auto scouts in terms of mid-range proficiency. Both are versatile and effective at that range... i REALLY love the SOAS, but there was something special about the HSR-1 that I can't put my finger on during the time I used it. I think it was the ability to very quickly put down enemies with headshots that felt so good.

This video isn't really a "you should use this gun, with this loadout" type of montage. It's a "hey check this weapon out, you probably never thought much about it." type of vid. Take it for what it's worth.
    • Up x 1
  17. Halivar

Twenty One Pilots WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO love that song
  18. Unclematos7

I never really got into the infiltrator because I found the whole BASR/SMG thing rather boring. Then I got the Impetus. That thing is a 3 hit kill on most targets, 2 if one is a headshot and on close range it is the Infiltrator's unofficial shotgun.:D

Does the Shadow offer anything that the Impetus dies not? Slightly easier leading for more shots to kill doesn't sound like a good trade off to me, but i would like to be proven otherwise.
  19. Hoki

Mustarde you make everything look good, but imo its outclassed at what its supposed to be good at by:

T5 AMC, TMG-50, CARV-S, Rhino, Bull, SABR, NS-11, T1S, hell even the AMR.

Its still a frankensuck weapon. ... maybe better hipfire would redeem it but I doubt it.

Its SO BAD in comparison to the GOOD mid-long range weapons.. its hard to find something nice to say about it.

You can put a 6x scope on it.. yeah I think some would consider that a plus.
  20. Kwyjibo

Nice. If I use this gun, I will definitely give your loadout a shot. After seeing your SOAS vid, I started using the IRNV scope on mine and instantly found the weapon to be way more effective than I thought it ever could be.