Which Infantry weapons are "Too Good" :rolleyes:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PastalavistaBB, Jan 28, 2014.

1. PastalavistaBB

I don't want to start a "Flame War" or "This Faction is OP" thread, because we have more than enough of them already. If you think that there is an Infantry Weapon that is "Too Good" (OP:eek:) , write it down and explain why.

Here we go:

1) SMGs in general: SOE's little money makers kill way too fast IMHO. They are especially deadly in the hand of Infiltrators.

2) Fast Firing Carbines: The Serpent and GD7-F have 845 rpm with 143 damage. They are the highest DPS Infantry weapons in the game. (Except Shotguns maybe)

3)Cycler HRV: 845 rpm/143 damage Assault Rifle. Not really OP when you consider that VS and NC have 800 rpm/143 damage counterparts. (They are actually the counterparts of the TAR. HRV is just a bit of "TR Faction Flavor".)
    • Up x 1
  2. KnightCole

Id be inclined to agree with your choices.

But if those are to good and they get nerfed, it will just make other guns "too good" as well and they will get nerfed and nerfed and nerfed until were left with 1Rpm, 1dmg, 1 everything straight across the board...and meh, no thanks. I like my EM6 with its 167@600 =D
    • Up x 1
  3. Flapatax

Well the Lynx is straight up broken right now.
  4. KnightCole

Broken in a bad way? as in it doesnt even work?
  5. AccelPrime

It seems to me like you have a problem countering fast-firing weapons, and i'll just tell you right now that they're not OP.

High RPM is pretty much always met with lower velocity, longer reloads & difficult recoil. While these types of weapons are great for CQC, they're anything but great for medium to long range. They sacrifice ranged capabilities for a specilazation at close range combat. They have high DPS on paper, but that's only viable for CQC, and not for any type of ranged combat.

Want to beat them? Either join them, or keep your distance. Your long-range AR should not have a higher DPS than a CQC weapon @0-10m. That would be OP.
    • Up x 10
  6. Konfuzfanten

To be honest, i cant think of a single infantry weapon that is "too good", from my point of view we got:

Class A weapons:
    To-go-to weapons. Weapons that in their preferred environment you are going to make you win most 1vs1, if the other guys is using a class B or C weapon. Even outside the preferred environment, they are still going to give you a decent chance of winning. Can have some minor deficiencies. Weapons like the Orion+Carv-9.

Class B weapons:
    Good weapons, but they are either situational or got a major downside. You need to play a certain way to max the weapon and they do poorly outside their preferred environment. Weapons like AMC and Pulsar C.

Class C weapons:
    Battle rifle category, the weapons with major downsides and little upside. Outside their preferred environment they are utter ****.

Ofc what i think are class A or B weapons depends very much on my playing style, since i perfer CQC-to-short range combat i have a strong tendency to favor high DPS/DPM weapons with medium accuracy.
    • Up x 1
  7. Santondouah

Obviously you play TR, otherwise you would've added the Jaguar.

IMO Orion VS54 is a bit too good. Overall the game is pretty balanced ATM and formerly useless weapon got much better with Balance pass 1.

As a NC and sometimes MAX player, I would say Falcon got a bit too good too. Raven needed its buff so that it could perform just like its TR/VS equivalents.
  8. Gundem

If your going to cry about the Serpent, then you should take a look at the Lynx or Jaguar. What the Serpent sacrificed for that small RoF boost, when compared to the TR counterparts was a smaller magazine, higher recoil, more bloom and slower reload. We got a higher RoF, but much like the Reaper DMR of old, raw DPS is overvalued. I prefer the VX6-7, great RoF to win most engagements, and super high hipfire CoF to give you that advantage of not having to ADS.

But for a weapon that is actually "Too Good"?

The damn Jackhammer. Getting cheesed by a 2.5 Pellet spread Pump Action at 15 meters is annoying as hell.
  9. PastalavistaBB

Obviously I play all Factions, so I have an idea about all of them. The Jaguar was good and got great great hipfire with an ALS, but the hipfire nerf fu**ed it over. It can't be compared to the Serpent/GD7-F on a raw damage 1v1 fight either.
    The Orion was ridiculously good before the hipfire nerf. It was handsdown the best CQ LMG in the game. Maybe the best CQ Infantry Weapon. Now it got nerfed along with the SVA88, but they are still good.

The tight COF actually leaves room for missing as the distance between you and your target increases. The Jackhammer is a semi automatic shotgun that has a 3 round burst fire mode too btw.
  10. ZeroErrorz

cqc based gun actualy pretty versatile, all needed is a irnv scope+crounch+hold breath+line up=?!?!?!?! profit!
  11. doombro

The VX6-7 is excellent. It's too good to be VS only.

SMGs (TR's) are okay because they have so much horizontal recoil you're not going to land half your shots anyway.
  12. Hatesphere

its funny because even though you class battle rifles as class C weapons, you can drop someone with 2 head shots in CQC with one, so if you get the first shot off you can win a 1V1 in CQC, I do it all the time. they just arent great for spraying down rooms.

even if you can hit, most SMGs are a tickle outside of their effective range other then the PDW.
  13. Gundem

I know, but at this point the Jackhammer is basically a Pump Action. Super rapid fire 3 round burst, then rechamber.
  14. PastalavistaBB

You might want to read this thread:
    Fix the PDW-16 Hailstorm SMG
  15. Santondouah

As somebody that aims before shooting (I almost never hipfire) I can tell you Jag and Orion and still among the very best weapons. Jag used to be far better but is now at the same level as GD7F so if you consider the GD7F OP, than the Jag is too.

I don't consider (and never did) the Orion OP at CQB. So the hipfire nerf won't change my mind about it. Nevertheless it was just normal that a weapon so efficient at remote distance was nerfed at CQB.
  16. Aegie

Just FYI, go take a look at the DPS generated by the auto shotguns.
  17. phreec

Infantry weapons are pretty well balanced right now. The game as a whole is relatively well balanced too.
    • Up x 4
  18. Winfield

I wish I had something along the lines of SVA-88 on NC, the closest weapon I can think of is the EM1 but it has no compensator(Though I don't know if it even needs one) and has terrible ironsights.
  19. Cinnamon

I would agree that SMG are very good but it is because they are very accurate in all situations with nowhere near the downsides other weapons have with recoil or cone of fire bloom. Infiltrators are the most overpowered infantry class in fights below a certain size and that is partly because they have SMG but darts and cloak are more of a factor.

There is no "maybe" that shotguns have a ttk lower than carbines they just do. Guns like the TRV and Serpent can be very effective but they also have significant downsides and quite limited range. This class of gun has been nerfed several times now. I don't want to just say that GD-7F is overpowered now since it has been buffed but it probably is and we will see what sort of fuss is made about this in the future. But when we are talking about balancing cqc weapons like this we also have to consider how effective classes like LA and engi are in close quarters and what tools they have to compete with the other kits.
  20. PastalavistaBB

How about the EM6? Although it seems more like a Competitor of the Flare/Ursa. SVA88 is still good but got nerfed quite a bit. Well, it was handsdown the best "Generalist" LMG in the game, maybe still is.