Why ESFs are Despised, and Always will be

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Goretzu

I don't think hover is the major problem as such; it is having hover for A2G along with a weapons platform that is equally capable of A2A (i.e. very fast and very manouverable).

It's very similar to the Harrasser/MBT secondary weapons issue.

Hovering in the A2G fighter wouldn't be so much of an issue if it was counter balanced by being slower and less manuverable, but likely tougher.

Hovering in the A2G fighter would be so much of an issue if it was counter balanced by being not effective against ground and much weaker (so staying stationary was daft). Although though equally removing or severely reducing hover in any A2A fighter would also be a good way of seperating these two potential aircraft.

Certainly in PS1 a similar system worked.
    • Up x 4
  2. Goretzu

Interesting idea for a PS2 weapon there (those parachutes are a tad unrealistic though :D ),
    • Up x 3
  3. Hiding in VR

No, this is one of the interesting features of airplay in this game.

I say this as someone that mainly plays HA and is "trying" to learn to fly. I haven't mastered "hovering" yet, so I consider your "macro button fest" comment at best wrong and at worst insulting.
  4. skyN3T

+1

Every footsoldier needs to get out of his/her box and give something else a try from time to time, even if you discard it immediately once the threat is gone. Planetside 2 is catering to the infantry crowd enough as it is.
    All that mr. Gloves pointed out there are really good counters given to everyone at the very beginning. If one is wearing such thick blinkers and ends up "despising" "flyboys" or "tankers" out of his own inability and lack of imagination, that person is well-deserving for the title: "peasant". I can't feel empathy for these Taygetus-positive individuals, and I spit on their despise.

To the OP (all with respect): catchy title, will get some attention for sure. All that your post contained is subjective, I'm sure you're aware of that, just pointing it out because I enjoy rolling in the Skyguard (And contrary to popular belief skyguard is a helluva weapon system against clumps of infantry, so you're not shot in the knee that hard. Hell, I can even take out Viper Lightnings with it) for example. Back in the day I enjoyed AA-AV tower duty as well, and always jumped in that unmanned basilisk on top of the Sunderer to defend it. And had (and still having) a blast everytime when I'm condemned to go on foot (happens rarely nowadays). Just my 2 certs.
  5. TheStink

Get the sky whale out. Even one ram of an enemy aircraft will release all that bitterness and replace it with a warm feeling of peace inside.
    • Up x 2
  6. Hiding in VR

Plus for some reason, people refuse to switch class when the situation demands it.

I have heard people complain on local chat about not having any AA weapons, while standing next to a resupply point !
  7. FieldMarshall

If you can fly ESFs: This sucks. Lockons everywhere =[ ESF too fragile, have to wait for timer and resources.
    ESF UP =[

If you cant fly ESFs: This sucks. It blows up within the first 20 seconds, just wasted all my air resources, have to wait for the timer and just gave someone a free kill. =[
    Or: This sucks. I got lolpodded by some noob without being able to fight back =[
    ESF OP =[

ESFs are no fun for anyone i feel. Except burster MAXes. My burster MAX is happy.
    • Up x 1
  8. JonboyX

Hmm.

I think most people's gripe is that no other class or vehicle's nemesis is, at best, officially classed as a "deterrent".
    All other vehicles' nemesis will kill them, and quickly.

Yes, they've 'balanced' ESFs - but at such a high skill and reward level that experienced pilots dive bomb, fire, and flee. If played cautiously, you can get plenty of kills, AND stay alive. You can't do that as consistently with another class or vehicle, regardless of how good you are.

I don't fly ESFs much, I've tried once or twice and it's just not for me. I appreciate their value to the game. I just wish they'd increase that whole risk : reward ratio so that ground combers don't get afterburners. Go helicopter for accurate ground pounding, or go jet plane for less accurate passes but better AA, but imo you shouldn't get the best of both worlds.
    • Up x 4
  9. Drizzt

I quit playing bf3 because of "jets" I was sick of seeing them getting 250+ kills and 0 deaths and absolutely destroying everything. Now i,m not saying it's easy to use a "JET/ESF" because its not. But when you are really good, you can basically dominate everything. While most things cannot do anything to the ESF/JET, if you know what you are doing. IF the "JET" can kill my tank or MAX in under 4 seconds we should be able to do the same to the JET. The MBT and MAX both cost more resources then the ESF/JET?! O well GG
  10. Kid Gloves

That used to be the case, but they addressed this and buffed AA.

AA is still a deterrent to air because air is the one that gets to pick the terms of the engagement. Air gets to pick the terms because air is faster, and air can run away.

But if air decides it wants to engage and there's a couple of skyguards in the area... then air is going to get a short, sharp lesson in just what deterrent actually means in this context.
  11. Prudentia

if only pilots would do the same thing.
    tons of AA and an open field? lets get a tank
    Tight base? go Infantry
    but no, flak? i still spawn an ESF, Base? ESF, need something to eat? ESF, mom wants you to do something? ESF!
    • Up x 3
  12. Divinorium

Problem with ESF was that he always have, and still have a free "get out of jail" card.

Afterburn is the name of this card. Damn even now with lock on buffed pro pilots still do "what they want" because he can get in lolpod some players use flares and afterburn out of range.

That's why Tanks aren't such a problem. If they get too close they WILL die because they can't press a button and dissapear in the horizon.
  13. Vanus Aran

Strange I have alot of fun destroying and ESF with just a Heavy.

There is no bigger thrill as to know its fu**ing hard to shoot an ESF out of the air with just the normal Bazooka or Decimator.
    But if you pull a Log-on... even the biggest Noobpilot got enough time to make whatever is necessary to leave the dangerzone.

This scenario is only affective as long as you arent in a big battle.
    Its only emotionally noticable if the ESF pilot is for some reason trying to kill you.
    For defending a Base or conquering it. It must be a Duel-situation.

Running cloaked to the Capturepoint is ok too, forcing the Pilot out of the Vehicle and such.
    But the best is when you are trying to "Bazooka" him in midair.

This is the most risky and fair fight I have noticed in Planetside2. Because the Pilots cannot kill you easily if they dont hover at least a bit and to make sure their rockets or Nosegun is aiming properly at you. If they hit you, you die nearly instantly.
    If you hit them with Decimator they die instantly. With Standart-Bazooka you better shoot a few hits in their vehicle with your Machinegun.

But even so hitting ESF with a weapon made to battle Groundvehicle is so joyful. Nothing is more rewarding.
    Also Liberators are more easily to hit and Galaxys go without saying. Only ESF's can give me this thrill.
    The only other time when I feel my heartbeat accelerating at least a little bit is when I switch empires to betray people that pissed me off too much. ;)
    And yeah im only satisfied with a destroyed Vehicle at least. Not easy with the weaponlock but this too is what makes it exciting.

Strange isnt it? Playstiles that are most probably not as intended make the most fun.
    Too underestimate the joy of variety is something only an idiot would do.
    Bring me back to the boredom of Lattice but this is another story...
  14. Drizzt

I think a lot of this has to do with what server you play on. connery has LOTS of great esf obliterators of death.
  15. Drizzt

16. WTSherman

Though for me, I think one thing that would make ESFs slightly more appreciated would be if I had some way to point out priority targets to friendly ESFs, or in general some way to create cooperation between friendly air and ground units besides "spot and pray they notice", "pull AA and wait to interrupt dogfight", and "hop on TS and try to talk them onto targets".

Because then at least people would be happy to see *friendly* ESFs, and they would actually act more like friendly units rather than a separate faction that just happens to be somewhat neutral towards you.
  17. Takoita

OP brings up some interesting points but I can't agree with that post. ESF is simply too 'do-everything', quite often in one loadout to boot.
    • Up x 2
  18. Drizzt

Skill Bro, all skill.
  19. Corporate Thug

Do you do anything that doesn't give you an advantage? What would you know about infantry combat? A huge point is that infantry players enjoy playing as infantry, but are forced to delegate resources and a huge amount of time to force you to leave them alone when you are playing your preferred play style. Why do you get to play the way you want but not infantry players? I can assure you that we are not all "bad". I will gladly prove this to you, repeatedly, all in your face and mouth.
  20. Drizzt

some people can kill 250+ with 1 esf. Is this OK?