48 v 48 fights are poisonous to the game as they currently are.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Dec 14, 2013.

1. AzureKnight

I will say it's nice to run out in to the open and be shot at from 10 different directions rather than one death wall of bullets and explosions coming at me from the only way out.

But then again... it's also kinda nice to fly above the death wall's origin and drop C4....

In reality, I'd love to see some more open battles to where it's not wall attacking wall. I'd like to be able to move and if I die and am resurrected, not have to worry about instantly dying again...
  2. Vaphell

you disagree with what exactly? OP says majority of bases are not made for such body counts (think outposts and towers, seriously, where is the space for one hundred peeps there?) and battles usually becomes a massive overcrowded mindnumbing cluster-**** in front of spawnroom shields based on max and medic spam, which is undeniably true, and you speak of organization trumping pubbies? How is that related to the topic at hand?
    • Up x 1
  3. teks

I love the beginning of your post, so true. As soon as I read that I knew I was giving a thumbs up.

Then I read the body of your post, and couldn't agree more. This is a ROOT problem that creates many other problems. Too silly to balance anything outside this issue. Great examples too. I really want to see this.

I hope your ridiculous title works!
  4. teks

I love misleading titles because you can tell who actually read the OP before posting.
    • Up x 4
  5. JudgeNu

the large scale fight are what I play for. when it gets low numbers, im out.

the game you describe could very well suck.
    you cant please everyone all the time
    some of you may like the game described.
    but will it be enough people to warrant the invested cash.
    these are the things that are considered among countless other factors.

-Ddolbok-
    • Up x 1
  6. Cab00se187

As long as the game engine can run it battles are always going to be large. If you don't like it, the map really does tell you where smaller battles are. No seriously, actually try using the map.
  7. IronWarrior

Cleary OP is a zerg fellower and always attacks bases on foot.

Scarred Mesa is pretty easy to take, you just GAL drop it. Depending how many players you have and the size of the defending force, you drop the point, you drop the jump pad landing area to clear that or you drop both.

Vanu archives is even easier to take since tanks can hit the spawn, landing pads, jump pad area at A and the other side from the hills.
  8. NovaAustralis

I think a lot of players have forgotten about Gal drops...
    I mean we still see them.
    But some attacks will meat-grinder for ages before a Gal drop is considered.
    Yes, it takes some organisation and a tiny bit of patience, but dayum are they effective!
  9. UberBonisseur

It's only fun because the only thing you can really do is shoot people.

Of course this is a FPS, but why bother with "coordination", "strategy" and "combined arms" which all take a certain ammount of time, a tedious training and discipline, while also concerning a small minority of the population.
    After all why would you bother capping territory when it gets reset within a few hours ? On the other hand, there is so much emphasis on gaining certs you should avoid any time-consuming task and just drift in the zerg.

It doesn't matter that you have 48 players because in the end it only revolves around pushing towards a single location by throwing enough bodies at it. Or we could pretend there are "tactics" involved in taking a Biolab.

Replace the term "fun" by "involved", because there sure are plenty of fun games out there. CoD is fun, you can't deny. Deathmatch is "fun", mindless fun. But conquest involves players, drives for a harder, better, faster, strong, and more importantly smarter game.

But currently, it's all deathmatch and the few conquest we have is only achieved through brute force, by spamming MAXes and cleaving your way through a spam of explosives and green mages
    • Up x 2
  10. Crackulous

Where else can you farm for hours without end though?
  11. Astriania

I agree about the specific case of Biolabs – once numbers get high enough in there (and it's not very high, probably only about 3 squads a side) it devolves into spawn/teleporter/landing pad camping.

Amerish biolabs are actually better in this regard because they still have the teleporters linked to sub-bases in the territory which can be contested. Those are pretty meaningless in tech plants and amp stations as long as you have a Sunderer somewhere, but at biolabs they give you extra entry points into the main base and they're tactically valid. On lattice continents, attackers can't take two of the three outposts and that reduces tactical options (you can only come in through one teleporter and two landing pads, which is easy to camp). I know it's a reversion but I think it would be good to roll major facilities back to a single territory containing the facility and its subbases (e.g. Hvar Tech should include Watchtower, N and S Garrisons). This would also go a long way to reducing lattice over-congestion on Indar as it would get rid of 27 lattice points.
  12. IronWarrior

The old Crown.
  13. Crackulous

Is no more. Sigh.
  14. grazr

People wouldn't camp towers so much if there was more than one spawn exit and i suppose it's improved now there's a teleporter on ground level by the vehicle pads, but it's all within the same structure.

I've noticed "out houses", to a lack of a better word, appear on Esamir where there's a shielded structure with a teleporter allowing infantry to reach the opposite side of a base quickly, but they're often nowhere near the fighting and so only really benefit infiltrators or a ninja light assault no a C4-tank trip.

At the very least the spawn exits need to be reworked so 50 players can't just camp the point/spawn simultaniously whilst aircraft ground pound the roof.
    • Up x 1
  15. Flashtirade

I personally would love more spread-out fights. As much as I do not appreciate the TR and VS constantly pushing the NC, they have made some of the most dynamic and enjoyable battles I've ever been in, all because of the territory. The grassy expanse ringed by Allatum, Crossroads, Regent Rock, and Peris has become my favorite place to fight on Indar, and there is a distinct lack of major facilities inside of it (excluding Vanu Archives).
    • Up x 1
  16. Dark Pulse

I think the bigger problem with biolabs is the utter and perfect protection those doors have.

Simplest solution? Make it so nobody can shoot out of friendly shields (so yes, this includes the defender spawn room!), and if they step out, they must fully step out and can't return into it for five or ten seconds.

This way neither side can pick attackers/defenders off just by virtue of them appearing outside their spawn, and if they step out to challenge them, they're going to have to survive for a little while on the outside before they can get back in to safety - giving the other side time to put some shots into them and put them down.

You'll still get a crowd near the spawns, I'm sure, but at least this way you don't have to take potshots from a LITERALLY unhittable enemy.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheFamilyGhost

Ah, says you!

Can you give me any real life examples of armies agreeing to engineer a battlefield?

How can you say something is or isn't too big or too small? Its a battlefield...you fight where it is regardless of what it is.
  18. Yuukikun

As right as you are, it's already too late for PS2. The player pop of the game isn't even one third of what it was 1 month after launch. The majority of the players who wanted strategic and tactical play already stopped playing, leaving mostly zergpubbies who don't want to put effort to get the rewards.

If the devs were to apply these changes, they would just lose the few zergers that they have left and there won't be enough players to make it interesting for strategic fans to come back. SOE put too much importance on the minority of zergpubbies that play for ''combined arms only'' and now they're stuck with it. PS2 had the most potential and also the biggest amount of wasted potential.
    • Up x 1
  19. Yuukikun

Thank you! I had forgotten that Planetside 2 was real life! Oh great sage of the ignorance!
  20. TheFamilyGhost

Hmm, not sure how to read your response. Are you resorting to insult because you feel exhausted of intellect?

Back on topic, you must have some precedent to point to in order to show that the reasons for wanting to engineer a battlefield to your liking is more than just self-centered desire to have what you think would be most gratifying?