What GPU do I need to never drop below 60fps on ultra?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HowCanSheSlap, Nov 13, 2013.

1. HowCanSheSlap

My GTX550 Ti is getting kind of old and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Planetside 2 is the game I spend the most time playing so I figure I should buy a new card based on what I need to max it out.

Ideally I'd like something that will never dip below 60fps on ultra even in a huge fight.

If anyone currently reaches this type of performance, please tell me what GPU you are using.
  2. Chipay

4 Titans SLI
    • Up x 1
  3. HowCanSheSlap

Hurr durr. Now please recommend something that won't **** my bank account.
  4. VSDerp

i have the same gpu man. would like to know the same thing.
  5. gigastar

I assume a single 780 would be up to the task.

Or i hope so, since im ordering one next week.
  6. Shadowyc

An AMD FX-8000 series. The CPU. This game is still CPU intensive.
  7. Bape

never below 60 fps on ultra? I think GTX 770 im pretty sure even a 690 won't get 60 fps in ultra.
  8. Darkwulf

I would say its more CPU than GPU. An I5 with a 680 GTX would probly do it. But the 760's are pretty cheap now.

Just dont expect a lot from a GPU, this is a CPU heavy game.

I am running a 560 GTX with AMD phenom II x6 1055T 2.8 ghz (<--- sh*t cpu)
    I run at 55-60 fps , lowest i get during an alert in huge battles is 35 fps, which is not even noticable to my eyes.
  9. Prudentia

get an i5 newest generation (what ever the current number is) it let's you avoid most framedrops while a new GPU would just let the game look better, while still dropping frames in the cases as before. Then get a 3 or 4 Titans.
  10. Pixelshader

what cpu do you have?
  11. HowCanSheSlap

After the performance update my game is GPU bound almost 100% of the time now.

Nah I see stories on Reddit about people supposedly getting 120+ fps on ultra with uber gaming rigs. I don't need that much performance but I just want good performance.

AMD FX4100 quad core @ 3.9Ghz
  12. Noebuhdy

I'm using a MSI GTX 670 Twin Frozr, have the settings on 'Ultra', steady 60 FPS in calm, small-med battles, 40-50 on big battles.
  13. TheBloodEagle

14. KAHR-Alpha

I do have a 770 GTX, but I still drop below 60 fps due to my i7-3770K is being capped. It's not really a GPU issue.
  15. Emotitron

16. evansra

I run an i5 oc to 4.4 with a gtx 680 and after the update I hold a solid 60fps in all situations on ultra, not sure how gpu PhysX will effect it tho as that is currently disabled.
  17. OhMyVanu

GTX 780 here and I never go close to 60 in big fights. Everything on highest settings.

3570K 3.4ghz, not OCd
    asus p8z77-v mobo
    8gb ram
    ssd
  18. IamDH

Geforce 710M and im GPU bottlenecked (on ultra)

Not sure if that will help at all
  19. Zotamedu

You need a better CPU to get everything on Ultra. I still get limited by CPU quite a lot and I have one of the fastest CPUs you're likely to find in a gaming computer, the i7 3770. The new 4770 is a couple of percent faster and the new line of s2011 stuff will probably be a little faster as well since they have larger cache, don't think that will affect games all that much though since they have a small working set that can quite easily fit into the cache of a new CPU.

As for graphics cards. The AMD 280X or the Nvidia GTX 770 are great value for money right now. You can also check out the AMD 290 and 290X when they come with third party coolers. The stock cooler is not fun. If you are going to buy a GPU on that level, your CPU will be the bottleneck in quite a lot of games at high settings.

Scroll down to the bottom of this comparison to check game performance: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/700?vs=288
    Remember that that is am FX-4300 which is faster than your FX-4100. Also, the i5 2500K is quite old now and the new i5 at the same price point, the 4670K*, is a little bit faster.

The FX-4100 has never been a good gaming CPU. None of the Bulldozer versions are good gaming CPUs. They should never have been released to consumers at all. They are designed for servers. They are great at things like databases but the same design that makes them good at highly parallel tasks make them bad for general home use. AMD has even admitted that they messed up. Sadly, they will have to run with that design for a while now. The next iteration, Steamroller, seems intresersting but not even the most optimistic excpectations put them on par with the latest offers from Intel. It is not even sure that they will release Steamroller for the AM3+ plattform. It might only be available in APUs where it seems like they will have a good advantage over Intel when it comes to price and performance ratio. Furthermore, it seems like the integrated GPU will be quite powerful which is highly interesting for the low end market. The high end, where most PC gamers live, has been all but abandoned for now. At least I hope it's only for now and that they will come back to it sooner or later.
  20. Zombekas

That makes no sense, 690 is much faster than 770