[Suggestion] Tool that isn't half-***** and OP!

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Drewseph, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Iridar51

Since when killing enemies, flanking, distracting and breaking stalemates is no benefit to the team? Maybe, not exactly to your squad, if you leave them ways behind, but surely to your faction overall.
    Yes, it is a decent solo class, I and a number of people enjoy playing it. So maybe squad leaders are not inclined to invite us into squads, so what. Their loss.

Let's look from the other side - light assault is a class that doesn't need to be in a squad to live up to his full potential. This isn't a raiding mmorpg, where you have your tank, healer and DPS roles.

And what do you mean "LA has no role"?
    Light assault's role is the same as the HA's - kill people. He just does it differently, and it's good to have variety.
  2. R3dBeaver

looks like u guys are looking at this debate from 2 different point of view without trying to understand each other...

yes, the class is "different".

it can play with a team, albeit not quite a "team-player" as a few other classes. (oh yes, there are moments when an LA can do things faster/better than a full squad)
    it can play solo, althought to survive long enough to make an impact, u need be good at it, arguably easier than other class even without medic/ammo support. (pretty good in running away from a hot situation)

and having a variety is good. the solution to the complaints can't be a disadvantage to either.

a solution has to address how to be more of a team-player, while not jeopardizing other class' responsibilities, AND it can't substract the LA ability to lone-wolf it.

i dont know what the solution is, but you guys are arguing about the same thing, just from different view. let's provide more suggestion rather, yeah?

instead of arguing po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe.

PS: and jetpacks? it has a special skill that is readily accessible - jumping wherever the hell u want at any time. no need to wait for squad deploy, no need to wait for beacon, no need to get cert for stuff, heck doesnt even need to be in a squad at all. no other class has it. there are workarounds, but none as effective.

why can't the tool something that boost this? like, Overcharge - a toggle that when enabled, allows 100% faster recharge, 100% longer duration, 50% speed increase. duration is 10 sec (can be increased via cert) and has a cooldown of 5 minutes (can be shorten via cert?)

it adds survivability for lone-wolves, and increased effectiveness of flanking and disrupting the enemy lines, increasing the effectiveness of your squad by making a pincer attack.
  3. Sandpants

The undeniable problem (and some wouldn't call this a problem) is that LAs, whilst useful in squad, are not actually desirable in a squad. If it is simply left to the discretion of a leaders judgement, LA players will always demand some sort of a boost, players of other classes will always look down on the class and further down the development very few opportunities will be presented where the LA can be played to it's full potential, as other classes do now. This is because the game doesn't really invite any super MLG tactical thinking. No leader will send 6 players from their squad into the ambiguity of planetside 2 rooves when a more obvious and certain direction is grounding them in classes that do more, last longer and can sustain themselves one way or another.

Yes, LA can function as they are now. And an infiltrator could infiltrate without hacking panels or turrets, medics could still heal without their magic aura. Heavy assault could still be the main fighting force that can deal with armor without their winshield.

Time to look beyond what the LA does and start looking for what it could do that also makes sense for the class role. Being good as is is not an argument against this. Only a statement.

Doing what LA does doesn't count as team effort since the time when players stopped being obliged to consider things from all perspectives. Yes it's useful. But nobody cares if it's just done in a different way at the cost of being able to do more.
    • Up x 1
  4. R3dBeaver

agree.

but isn't the main selling point of LA is being able to flank from out-of-ordinary angle?

i say when i'm a squad leader and i need to break an enemy's formation (doesn't happen too often, i'll admit), i'd look for a couple of LAs... jump at the back, make some distraction, and my heavies make the push.

i'd say if we have that mindset, then the tool can simply be something that can enhance that skill.

flanking and killing is what only what LA does. any class can do that.

it's what LA excels at.

and having something one class excels than the rest? that's arguably what i count as "team effort" in an MMO.

(obviously, not in real life. i can be a master painter, but that'll do jack **** in fire-fights)

just my 2c :)
  5. Neurotoxin

Are you sure? I've used it before and had it used against me before. When there's 50 swarming radar dots on a flat plane with nobody in sight, there's no way they are floating or underground and an ESF just spotted them. The grouping, density, and movement of the dots is pure chaos for anyone looking only at the minimap. Keep in mind it doesn't spam ally radars with decoys, that would just be a cruel trolling device.

Maybe I should start using Decoys in conjunction with radarts and ally smoke grenades when assaulting or defending a point. That'll really freak out the small team coming to try to clear us out...
  6. Zorro

Why not a net-gun? It would shoot a special net at enemies to entangle them, eliminating their mobility. It makes sense for light assault, it would help the class, it would be a useful team tool, and it would not be overpowered (considering it would have only one or two shots).
  7. Iridar51

Why use it over just shooting people? A slowing grenade, that would create a zone of reduced movement speed for enemies or increased for allies - sure, why not, but a net gun? I assume it would be close range, reload after each shot type of tool, that would only immobilize one or two enemies. Seems weak, if not used on MAXes.
  8. Zorro

Well, it is not to be used in direct combat, but as a tool of surprise. It would be useful to prevent a MAX from running away from C4, prevent enemy dodging, and keep an annoying infiltrator/light assault in place. I have experienced many situations where such a tool would have been useful.
  9. Sandpants

Remember the concussion nade? You know, the grenade that disorients, obscures and slows down movement.

Guess who has it.
  10. R3dBeaver

oooooooooooooh buuuuuuurn lol

i too was thinking, oh wow, neat idea... maybe like an area effect slow debuff. better than shooting so it's not overpowered. but yes, maybe a nade, instead of a gun.

...... lol totally forgot about the flashbang.

why is it not popular? not enough impact? range? duration? In theory, it's a great idea. i even got hit by it once, so i know it's effective...

man i wish i can bring THAT and C4 together.
  11. Zorro

We are looking for a proper tool, not for just another grenade. I think the flashbang is not used much because it is a grenade (with all the wonky physics) and because it affects one behind walls, which means it is likely to affect the user as well.
  12. Sandpants

I was talking about the concussion nade. The thing HA gets that is a ton superior to the flash grenade that LA get.

Flashbang is a joke and just another thing that is so so wrong with LA.
    Oh and the smoke grenade.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

I gave them a try not so long ago. The only problem I had with them is a super long detonation time after the throw, like 4+ seconds. If it were 1 or 2 seconds (but not on impact), it would've been better.
    And yeah, wonky physics are wonky.

The loud bang sound of the detonation is useful to know when to breach after the throw, but this is also a signal to the enemies who weren't blinded: "Attention, fellow enemies! Light assault is breaching this room right now! Eyes on doors and windows!". I've been on the receiving end, and there were a couple of times when I wasn't affected by the flashbang at all, and I would kill enemy LA as he breaches. Sometimes you're better off just running in with C4 ready, hoping that nobody would look your way.
    • Up x 2
  14. R3dBeaver

Right. So why cant we just improve those tools rather than creating something completely new?
  15. Zorro

Every other class except for the MAX has a unique tool in addition to specialized grenades.
  16. R3dBeaver

good point.

but i still prefer working on our existing tools before adding new one.

or something that can build our current skills.

not a completely new wacky toy.
  17. Jump Jets

It never has for me, as a matter of lately all it does is just make gunshot sounds not even one dot, But I'm going try it again and see haven't use it for a little while now, maybe I'm wrong but I stop using it b/c it sucked so much.