Should the Mass drivers be A2G

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ABATTLEDONKEY, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ABATTLEDONKEY

Now bear with me. I know that the last thing this game needs is more ESF A2G weapons, and Im completely on board with the idea of removing all ESF A2G weapons, but we all know that isnt a serious suggestion., That being said, I seriously think that SOE has a very good opportunity here, and Im curious to know what you all think.

one of the largest problems with the current ESF rocket pods is their universality. They damage Tanks, and infantry alike. once equipt, the ESF is able to engage any, and all ground targets, with VERY little recourse. MANY suggestions have been made to split up the rocket pods into HE and AV roles. Of course, how do you do that with current weapons? Introduce, the Mass drivers.

Now when I think mass drivers I think of the Stuka Dive bomber varient with the 37MM AT cannons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BK_37

My idea is simple. Make the mass driver a precision AV weapon. Keep its characteristics relatively similar, but give it GREAT vehicle damage. With this change, rocketpods could have their HE drastically increased, and their AV damage drastically reduced. This way, one load out wouldnt be so universal, and the ESF would continue to be driven into the sky.

Thoughts?
  2. CrashB111

So now my Prowler can be sniped by ESF as well as Liberators with the Dalton, all while hovering above my guns max angle? No thanks.
    • Up x 1
  3. Angry Scientist

It already can with rocket pods and nosegun. The only difference would be more explosions or less.
    • Up x 4
  4. vulkkan

No. I fly and I also tank a lot, and this sort of change would drive tankers insane. It's annoying enough when ESFs hover and snipe with their noseguns - giving them an anti tank sniper cannon is ludicrous.
    • Up x 1
  5. CrashB111

Not to mention it treads even more onto the Liberators territory, why even pull one when you could just snipe Tanks with a cheaper, faster, more maneuverable ESF?
  6. Wezdor

YOU are complaining? Seriously? Have you ever driven a Magrider? Because if you haven't, you should try that and THEN complain.
  7. ABATTLEDONKEY

I feel the Pain. I really do. Like I said in the OP, I wish the ESF had NO A2G weapons, but that simply isnt going to happen. This suggestions is simple. Split up the ESF rocket pods into an AI group, and an AV group. do you agree with that concept or not? if you do, then you agree with the premise of the OP, if not the details.
  8. ABATTLEDONKEY

More annoying than say, rocket pods?
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

I should probably remind you that your prowler is NOT an AA weapon, So im not that inclined to give to much consideration for this.
    • Up x 1
  10. ent|ty

Since GU13, I can't spend any longer than 3 minutes flying over a busy area.
    Dunno what everyone is complaining about.
    I've literally parked my LightPPA + Rocketpods, because if I get a chance to use them, I'm shot out of the air anyway.
    You can't slow down at all in an ESF nowadays, unless you want to take a tank shell to you.

I believe in leaving A2G weapons, all things have a place in game, A2G has been effectively nerfed. Pre GU13, especially on Esamir, I could actually make a difference suppressing ground units.

Now, I have 20 tanks shooting at me out of boredom and no distractions anymore, as well as all lock on rockets, aa turrets, aa guns and small arms fire.

Slow down for a bit, or even hover trying to finish off a tank, you will eat a round for sure.
  11. ABATTLEDONKEY

Alot wish to nerf A2G weapons because they dislike the thought of aircraft killing them. I myself, LOVE the idea of a strong A2G relationship, however I believe that this role needs to be filled by the Liberator. Yes the ESF A2G has been nerfed quite a bit, but thats because the idea of single seater fighter aircraft being to strong against ground AND air seems a bit unbalanced.

This specific suggestion would actually HELP ESF's kill armor without the need for slowing down. I dont know if you've played with the mass drivers on the PTS, but they are VERY friendly for AV strafing runs, if the damage was appropriate.
  12. smokemaker

Here's an issue:
    Tankers already whined hard because rockets where killing them in a single pass. Thus they got nerf'ed.
    Now with this statement in mind " Make the mass driver a precision AV weapon. Keep its characteristics relatively similar, but give it GREAT vehicle damage." How much whine do you think the new AV Mass Driver would cause? Or heck as it is, it's going to make them rage anyway.

So if you make it as strong as the current rocket pods, why switch to it. And if you make it more powerful then the current rocket pods is this not going to reverse the nerf already done by SOE and cause tankers to cry? Not that i care about tanker tears... but there is going to be an issue there.

I am all for more ESF weapons.... I am wanting bombs.
    Lots of bombs...
  13. ent|ty

Strafing damage would be excellent. Because of so many lockons and being outgunned by pilots better than i, I stuck low to the ground, using trenches, buildings, rocks, mountains etc as cover and also to ambush planes above me.

I would come in low and fast and Light PPA infantry I'd find (I only used lolpods on vehicles, total overkill for inf, and PPA was better anyway) and take out Sundies or unsuspecting tanks. (Mainly on Esamir)

Now with so much cover and such that I spoke of (and lost FPS), I went from being a severe annoyance to people on the ground for 30 mins, to a quick kill within minutes, even seconds at times..

LOss of LOS due to Esamir redesign, made my playstyle obsolete, so I've parked my ESF.

When i've pulled it out now, I have it rigged for A2A, but most of the fights are boring as hell, so now I just use it as a taxi.
  14. ABATTLEDONKEY

The problem with rocketpods (and the reason why tankers whine) is that they are EVERYWHERE. they are everywhere because they can be used against everything. The idea behind this suggestion is that the drivers would be equally as devistating against armor, but the amount of Mass driver ESF's would be significantly reduced. Rocket pods would no longer harm armor, and so ESF's with pods would no longer be a threat.

I also await bombs, but im much more interested in liberator bombs than ESF bombs :D
  15. smokemaker

By making rocket pods mainly AI and mass driver AV, I agree this would reduce the total amount of AV equipped ESF's. I guess you would force an ESF pilot to be either for tanks or infantry.... vs. currently good at both.

hmm... What do you think will be more popular, killing tanks or infantry in an ESF?
    I bet you get a larger portion of the pilots killing infantry for easier certs...but i could be wrong. I do enjoy killing tanks, especially knowing how much in resources they cost.
  16. vulkkan

At least most rocket podders come in close enough to blast with a tank round or two. MDs - if given strong AV capabilities - will be used to snipe tanks from distances that can't be easily countered. So yes, it would be more annoying.
  17. ABATTLEDONKEY

LOL if i guessed at that, it would be just a guess. I have no idea. I would MUCH prefer to kill tanks. I think your right that most would prefer the AI pods, but making strafing runs at tanks would be my cup of tea for sure.
  18. LynxFury

They haven't been a problem in months.
    • Up x 1
  19. soeguud

Hilarious that one of the only weapons true to NC fluff is available to all factions. GOOD WORK SOE
  20. ABATTLEDONKEY

The severity of the problem is Debatable (and I would agree with you on this). I was simply pointing out what the problem, if any, was. Some people (unjustly IMO) complain about ESF rocket pods.

Also consider this. ESF rocket pods were nerfed as well as the ESF itself. Why? IMO its for the same reason that is in your quoted section. Its hard to balance something that is completely universal.