Disable XP When Shooting From Spawn

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Harbinger, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Tristan

I have to question if you ever played PS1 if you're claiming that scat maxes standing in enemy spawn tubes wasn't spawn camping.
  2. Goretzu

PS2's big problem is that it is almost always possible to interpose tanks or aircraft between spawns and capture point.

This is a huge design flaw IMO.

Also in PS1 the corridor design actually limited the advantage of numbers somewhat.

But the thing is removing experience from people in spawns solves none of that, it just removes experience from people in spawns.

The only thing I can see people doing from that is not suddenly Butch and Sundancing out and somehow overcoming massive odds, but rather just getting sick and either joining the dominant side or just quitting.
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

The tubes would go down soon enough with people doing that, yeah they'd get a few kills, nothing is perfect.
  4. Ivalician

People will still do it.
  5. Goretzu

Which again isn't fixed with removing experience.

Having said that I don't think there IS a capture mechanic that stops attackers needing to secure a base, or at least one that doesn't utterly hand absolute power to the Zerg (which would be monsterously boring and kill the game in weeks).
  6. tralalog

i actually really like this idea. but they should also make it so you dont get xp for killing someone just spawning for maybe like 30 seconds
  7. Tristan

Erm, no, they only went down if someone specifically set out to take them down. They didn't go down due to incidental fire. That situation was even worse than the current spawn situation because defenders flat out couldn't do ANYTHING about it.
  8. Goretzu

This could work (probably have to be 30 seconds after leaving the spawn though), but the end result is likely to be a significant proportion of the battles in Planetside 2 resulting in NO experience for anyone. :D

Not sure that will be good for the game long-term.
  9. Aegie

You're aboslutely right and I agree that removing XP from people inside spawns does not solve the major problems with PS2 gameplay.

IMO, there is no amount of redesigning spawn rooms that will ever make playing to the spawn room not a central part of the game. It may not look as much like you are playing to a spawn room if you put a lot of elbow grease and smoke and mirror gimmicks around but ultimately a central strategy in a MMO FPS condition (or, I imagine, real life) is to push the enemy back to where they originate and thus eliminate the enemy's sphere of influence rendering them ineffective at fighting back- properly done this should only occur at the WGs and thus the WGs should be the only spawn rooms.
  10. Goretzu

If they weren't aiming straight at you when you spawned then you had a chance to fight back (if you had a reasonable PC that loaded quickly anyway), if they were aiming straight at you they couldn't really avoid hitting the spawn tubes and bringing them down.

But as I said nothing is perfect, however unless you were in an outfit that was attacking the base by itself and were purposely trying to keep the tubes up they didn't stay up long. But at the end of the day you can't create a situation that no one will ever exploit.
  11. ent|ty

That's because you refuse to understand that you are using 'camping' incorrectly. Also, apples are fruit and potatoes are vegetables. Thats why they are different.

Just admit you were wrong, drop the 'people camp in their spawn' moronity, and move on with your life.

"Camping is camping"... by that logic I don't even...

They also have the option to stay, to try to push out, or do what ever they need to do to cause you to come to the forums to post how much you hate getting shot in the face for 'spawn camping'.

Go sit on the point, and there'll be no problem, and all your concerns about how they play, the XP they earn, their tactics all seem to fade away and not matter anymore. You're only upset because they shot you in the face while you camped their spawn. PERIOD.

One can't 'camp' their own spawn, so that's impossible.

The issue doesn't need to be 'policed'. Police yourself and stay away from spawn so they can get out. Easy.
    • Up x 1
  12. Goretzu

There in is another of PS2 problems; it's not a finished game.

PS1 released with the ability to lock continents and had a 3 or 4 times as many continents, whilst it was near impossible to genuinely push a faction back to its sanctuary (at least early on - I only saw it with the Lasher 2.0 debacle) there was a meta-game from the off.
  13. Aegie

This cannot be an ongoing excuse for MMO games that more or less require regular updates.

Also, I do not really think it is the absence of a "meta-game" in that sense that detracts from the game- I mean, what is the meta-game of other multiplayer FPS? Arguably there is none and there is no promise of one or hinting one should even be there. These other FPS remain extraordinarily popular not because there is some ultimate purpose where upon completion you think "there, I'm done, we won". These games remain popular because basic, core gameplay mechanics are done well- because aiming crosshairs at pixels is a blast when it is done right and has been ever since the beginning of FPS.

In fact, I think it is quite the opposite- if you gave people a meta-game where there was a sense true sense of accomplishment and completion then people would be more likely to accomplish the goal, feel they completed the game successfully, and move on to another game.

At least for me personally, all the things that detract from PS2 are basic core gameplay issues like the mechanics resulting in lots of downtime where the game bears little resemblance to the gameplay of a FPS, camping (read: I'm going to go have a smoke and come back when the base has flipped), and garbage core FPS mechanics like providing us with sights that reliably indicate the center of the COF (instead, we are given 100% accurate information when sprinting and shooting from the hip and distracted by worse than worthless graphics when we actually try to aim properly... oh yeah, but only with some scopes).

It really is a shame that as of now PS2 is the only game in the business of MMO FPS because the central idea of having a FPS as a MMO game is epic but since there is nothing else to compare to PS2 gets away with basic elements being absolute trash. In part, I think this is because people, myself included at times, keep giving them a pass and saying "but it's not finished".

I'm about at the point where I walk away until I see some huge ad campaign for PS2 saying something along the lines of "PS2 is finally finished! All the basic garbage mechanics are now done properly! Yes, you actually shoot where you are aiming and spend most of your time competing against players that are not invincible!"
    • Up x 1
  14. MonnyMoony

The problem with spawn rooms is not only are they a safe area - but they are the only jumping off point for reinforcements. That automatically makes them the primary target and a kill box.

If the spawn room was simply a safe area - and the possible jumping off points were expanded to not only include spawn room doors, but also allow access to the wider base (via a teleporter or some other mechanism) - the attackers would be less likely to camp it - or if they did, it would be less profitable from an XP or tactical point of view.
  15. Aegie

Well, I think it would just mean that instead of camping 1 spot (really easy) the attackers would just be forced to camp multiple spots.

While this does make it more difficult to camp the spawn and control incoming defenders it is still playing a FPS against a spawn room mechanic and being "good" at this and spending lots of time doing it is still dull.
  16. Goretzu

Well there is; it's called Planetside 1.

Broadly I think it does most things better except graphics (and Core Combat, but that's another kettle of fish).

Although the TTK difference is likely one of YMMV for different people perspectives.

This is true, I've seen it happen, but having said that enough exits make that unlikely - or maybe a mechanic that just teleports you a set distance in a direction.

If they could manage it, then it would put the emphasis back on the attacks holding the capture point, rather than camping the spawn.
  17. FABIIK

This is getting ridiculous...

Obviously only super skilled players post in this thread.

So I'll say it again... A large proportion of players are casuals with mediocre FPS skills and limited time to spend in the game.

Their lack of skill and commitment makes them easy preys in classic confrontations.

THEY RELISH BEING IN THE SPAWN ROOM SHOOTING GALLERY!!!

Why do you want to take away their only means to get kills ???

The K/D and XP rate of the average Joe are already abysmal. Imagine what they will be if he can't camp in the spawn...

No XP for spawn kills ? Expect an exodus of casual players. (I don't think SOE wants that ;) )
    • Up x 1
  18. Phazaar

Only one side -needs- to be there. The spawn room -must- be camped to prevent an easy retaliation from the defenders. There is no cert farming here, only necessity combined with the availability of targets to shoot. The other side has essentially lost, but needs the freedom to regroup and try to push out as a team again. Many a battle changes hands when the defending force is organised and pushes as one from their spawn room, on the other hand no battle ever has changed hands when 8 guys have not even attempted to advance, instead farming certs from their invulnerability zone.

The attackers are doing as they are intended to do. They have attacked to the point of origin and are now in defensive positions around said point of origin to ensure no further enemies arrive. The defenders are doing the wrong thing by not pushing back out. If the battle is lost and they have no chance, their time should be spent elsewhere. If they are regrouping, once regrouped they can shoot through the shields for a moment to clear line of sight, which will be no large XP loss, and then push outside at which points both sides are rewarded with combat and the relevant XP.

This ties in nicely to the above. There is a world of difference between people camping inside their spawn room for easy kills on foes that cannot return fire (which is the vast majority of spawn shield usage) and the one in a few times when being forced into a spawn room wakes up the defenders to work as a team and push out as one. The latter is the only approach that has any chance of successfully retaking the base, and hence the idea is to force that behaviour such that it is a remote possibility that pubbies may be able to retake the base from their spawn room, instead of doing what they currently do and attempting to pad their K/D whilst wasting their opportunity for reprisal at another base.

It doesn't amount to the same thing simply because there is no time when shooting through the spawn shield for more than 60 seconds will change the outcome of the battle. If you can't accomplish cleared line of sight in 60 seconds, you simply aren't going to clear your line of sight.
  19. FABIIK

So what ?
    Let the pubbies do their thing!
    If there is an organized squad in the spawn they can use the pubbies shooting as a diversion.
    If there are only pubbies, let them enjoy their kills. 99% of the kills in this situation are pubbies anyway.

Pubbies killing pubbies. Not the organized players' business.
  20. Patrician

People will not leave the spawn to retake the base, they'll just redeploy; not, necessarily to the one you would prefer to enhance your precious "gameplay".