The Lockdown and the secondary gunner

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Collin, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Collin

Well since it seems we are going to keep this ab(dis)ility how about to include the secondary gunner in this in some sort of from since he is sitting duck as well.

The vanny and mag have an ability to support both the gunner and the driver (would be funny if the secondary gunner would left behind when the mag afterburns) but the prowler which has the only ability with a downside the secondary gunner gets nothing out of it.

How about to reduce the cone of fire or the Vulcan has no mags and can spam until it runs out of ammo?
    • Up x 2
  2. Odins Son

Altough I like what I,m reading, I think you should go to the ideas und suggestions forum with it ;)

And the no mag idea is just OP even I,m Terran...
  3. CrashB111

Extending the Vulcans range while lockdowned is probably the best thing to do, even I can see that a no mag Vulcan would be OP as ****.
    • Up x 2
  4. Aegie

Just curious- is the Prowler or Vulcan underperforming?
  5. CrashB111

Prowler itself is doing fine, but the Vulcan still has the crippling issue of being useless past 300 meters, so typically when you Lockdown the gunner gets to sit there and play with themself since you are way outside that.
    • Up x 1
  6. Aegie

I see, but I thought the Vulcan was intended to be a (relatively) short range option and that the synergy with Lockdown would be the ability to defend yourself against the close quarters rush (the inherent weakness of Lockdown). Is it the damage scaling that neuters the Vulcan at range or the COF?

I would go with a Halberd if you want something for range. Since the latest updates to the Saron and Enforcer the Halberd really seems to shine.
  7. Spude

I think lockdown for prowlers is pretty good and balanced but its no use in direct 1v1 but then again u should never engage direct 1v1 with prowler vs vanguards.

Prowler is good when anchored to safe place with cover so you can snipe enemy infantry and vehicles.
  8. Paisty

The issue is quite simple, the TR mbt ability Lockdown, is the only one of the 3 empire specific abilities with a downside. Then our empire specific secondary weapon, is useless at the distances the TR need to use lockdown in order to survive. The other two
    factions empire specific abilities have a cooldown, but deploying or mobilizing also takes time, much like a cooldown. Never mind your a sitting duck.

On top of that, the new maps are designed specifically so tanks cannot shoot long distances(see Hossin and Esamir). Further devaluating the TR empire specific ability.

Then to make matters worse, they did the same thing to maxes, but added a cooldown. Which just shows the lack of thought put into this game by the devs in general.
    • Up x 1
  9. Izriul

It's fine, it's really fine.

The prowler is in no way underperforming in any area. Lockdown is the only ability on MBT's that can be toggled on or off, if you chose to you could have it on 100% of the time you have the tank.

The vulcan is a fine secondary too, I've owned it since near the beginning and it was the first weapon I bought on my TR character, and while it's not suited to a lockdown tank, it compliments just fine if someone sneaks up on you. I'll be honest I prefer 1/2ing my prowler much much more over my Magrider, and for that it works. I'll agree it's boring, almost useless the majority of the time to have a 2/2 prowler in lockdown BUT that's what the halberd is for. The prowlers the fastest and the smallest of the tanks, with the highest DPS, it does not need a buff.

It's an ability that doesn't suit the prowler, but it's there and can't be changed at this late a date (as in, to a completely different ability) and while it lacks synergy with the vulcan it does make the tank as a whole quite powerful.

Also the other 2 abilities do not support the gunner in any way other than keeping the tank alive. The gunner has no control when to use it, how it effects their weapons or anything other than what the driver dictates, so why should the prowlers, especially as I said, it's an ability you can toggle with no cooldown.
    • Up x 1
  10. Izriul

The TR mbt ability lockdown, is the only one of the 3 empire specific abilities that can be turned on and off at a whim. Hell, I wouldn't even call it a real downside since you're not forced to use it at a dumb time that would cause your death.
  11. EvilJollyT

Different utilities for different weapon loadouts? Are you mad! That would require intelligence. Best to just complain on the forums.
  12. Chipay

I get your point, but you'll be getting into balancing issues if you're going to simply buff the lockdown, as it is, Lockdown Prowlers are the strongest supression tool in the game (not to forget that your ap rounds go 400m/s).

Just think about it, if you're going to let Lockdown impact the Vulcan.... that **** already hast the fastest TTK's up close, i wouldn't even know if the Vanguard could win a CQC with a Prowler anymore....
  13. Aegie

Yeah, I can see how that would be a little frustrating- you would expect that the ES kits would promote synergy and from your perspective I can see how you feel it is doing the opposite. On the other hand, it may just be promoting a different kind of synergy a la the weakness of the Lockdown is that someone may sneak up on you in CQC and the strength of the Vulcan is dealing with these threats.

Honestly, with all the changes that went into the ES MBT secondaries I think the Halberd has come out on top.
  14. Aegie

I do not take this as complaining- I think that some posters do have a point that the ES secondary does not function well at the distances that Lockdown functions well. That being said, it would seem that the biggest weakness to Lockdown is having someone close the distance and it would seem this is where the payoff would be in having the Vulcan on a Lockdown Prowler.
  15. Paisty

I see what your saying, but with nothing to shoot at, no one stays in the secondary weapon once you lockdown. Thats why TR players do not look from that perspective, it simply never happens.
  16. CrashB111

Or they could just let us change a Vehicles loadout at a terminal after its spawned.

I would love if I could give my gunner a Marauder for incoming infantry, but I always have to pick the Vulcan so I am not gimped against enemy armor.
  17. IamDH

Doing this is like making SMG effective at all ranges. Each weapon has a strength and a weakness
    • Up x 1
  18. Izriul

This has been needed since day one, even more so after the resource changes. I know how frustrating it can be mainly due to the idiotic load outs getting removed from going to the VR, and while that's fixed it would still be a good option.

That, and also giving players a 2 second immunity once they've hit spawn on a vehicle
  19. CrashB111

I do not agree with immunity on vehicle spawn, if you died in under 2 seconds you either:
    A. Pulled a tank while the enemy had clear lines of fire on the pad (your own fault)
    B. Did not check for tank mines (your own fault)
  20. Notih8Darian

Or we could make magburner multidirectional, and not have the only use for it be ramping off of hills!
    • Up x 1