Reverse maneuver nerf will ruin air combat!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Taiga, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Taiga

or you could all learn how to fly.

THIS is what the air fights should look like. not the stupid ESF's flailing themselves all over the sky like idiots.
    • Up x 10
  2. KAHR-Alpha

Excellent use of the topography, I've succesfully pulled that bridge fly-through in combat only once so far with my mosquito. This is definitely what dogfights should look like, instead of the current hover spam fest.
    • Up x 3
  3. Taiga

amen brother
  4. Rhetoracle

That is what fights versus inferior opponents look like. Stop begging for the destruction of a completely fine air game.
    • Up x 10
  5. Herby20

I see three Mossy pilots who didn't know to just hover and start shooting the scythe as the pilot did loops in and around a bridge and some terrain for almost three minutes. Instead they started trying to chase the scythe in a scenario where they constantly followed the scythe instead of cutting it off and hardly ever had a window of opportunity to shoot it as a result.

For the record, I do this to unskilled pilots around and over biolabs, in amp stations, in tech plants, around air towers, under trees, in and under bridges, etc multiple times every day. You act like this part of the game doesn't exist now and it is all just reverse maneuvers. The reverse maneuver is just one tool that makes flying in this game so fun, and removing it removes a very unique part of the game.
    • Up x 11
  6. Taiga

so what you are trying to say is that this pilot wasn't doing any good piloting, but instead the people shooting at him were just bad. watch the video again and tell me that the scythe pilot isn't doing a superb job at using terrain to his advantage. he went too far into enemy territory and got a few mossies on his tail as a result, this is something that should require much work to get out of, seeing as it is the scythe pilots fault in the first place for letting mossies get behind him.

something as simple as a reverse maneuver should not be in the game. its like pressing the easy mode button for when you got yourself into a problem. reverse maneuvers are not "the sign of a superb pilot". in fact, reverse maneuvers can be taught to the newest of pilots. its not a matter of skill, but rather a matter of just knowing what it is in the first place.

learn how to keep enemies off your tail, and when they do get on your tail, it's your fault. ESF pilots don't understand this, and that is why they complain that the easy button is getting removed. somebody gets behind you, you got outplayed. simple as that.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tekuila

He's flailing around like a kid having a seizure.
  8. CHDT65

At first, how an air game can be "fine", with player using..... a mouse and not a joystick ????
  9. Demerzel

What server is that from? Those Mossie pilots are terribad. Go and try to pull that garbage on Matherson, see how long you last.

First rule of PS2 Air Combat: You run, you die.

Turn and fight, the way it should be.
  10. Chipay

3:00 you're flying in a straight line for 6 seconds, you should've been dead.
    • Up x 1
  11. FigM

Sorry, but that video is a terrible example of "good" piloting.

Aside from poor aim, it shows inability to engage or lose your pursuer in timely fashion - 10-20 seconds. That kind of flying is little more than fancy target practice for your opponents. They do seem to need it, since you managed to stay alive that long.

I am sure you can become a better pilot if you keep practicing, but you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that "this is the way it's supposed to be". That is medium skill flying at best. You still got lots to learn
    • Up x 4
  12. Oreo202

BECAUSE LIMITING OPTIONS IS A GOOD THING RIGHT GUYS? Lets limit peoples options, force them to fight one way!
    • Up x 6
  13. Herby20

Some of what he did was good. A lot of what he did would have gotten him killed very quickly if the Mossy pilots bothered to think about the situation. When an enemy is flying in loops around and under a bridge, you don't follow them (especially when you outnumber him). You hover around them and blast the crap out of them as the pilot continues trying to dodge an enemy that isn't actually chasing him. There is also the numerous times he flew in a straight line with no cover with the enemy right behind him. That is a death wish against better pilots.

That "easy mode button" will easily get you killed if you don't know when and where to use it. As I said, it is just one tool that helps make ESF combat fun and unique.

Of course it is my fault. The only time I expect to survive when someone is chasing me is if I know they aren't a good pilot or I am very close to allies/warpgate. I can usually tell right away because my maneuvers will basically not work against better pilots. They will hit you when you try to do corkscrews, they will hit you when you do reverse maneuvers, and they will certainly hit you when you fly in a straight line like the scythe pilot did numerous times. They expect you to use terrain to loop around and go a different way, and they account for that by slowing down and shooting you.

The problem is, you don't seem to understand that the best pilots already do these things everyday. Those tricks work in games where you can't stop and hover; You can in this game, and that is why they don't work against the better pilots who also understand this. Maneuvers like that may buy you time against good pilots, but they won't save you.
    • Up x 1
  14. Emotitron

Yeah, this is terrible. Flying your scythe through tight spaces isn't really that impressive to anyone other than new players. You handle the plane well enough, but your bag of tricks consists of just looping around terrain until someone happens to stumble into your crosshairs. Any good pilot would have ended that run in 10 seconds and you never would have even seen him.
  15. Taiga

all of you people saying that he is a terrible pilot, i would love to see you do this with three mossies on your tail. ESF's should not be able do reverse maneuvers so fast. if i wanted hover battles i would get in a little bird on BF3. what we have been given are jets, and what was expected was jet like fighting, not hover crap battles. this change to afterburners in hover mode make it more like that. i can see EXACTLY where the devs were coming from on this change, and i must give them a massive cheers for putting this through even on PTS. and a message to any devs, please don't pander to the whiney ESF pilots. they have themselves convinced that flying an ESF is 10x harder than anything else in the game, and that ANY nerf is unwarranted.
    • Up x 1
  16. Pixelshader

ESF are not jets, they're ESF. ESF are slower than real life helicopters, and also unrealistically agile. The guy in the video is good at flying his scythe, but what he is doing isn't an effective combat strategy. If the mosquito pilots weren't completely terrible he would've been dead very quickly as he exposed himself time and time again. The video is cringeworthy, especially so because to the average observer it might look like he is outplaying the enemy.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with PS2's air combat, in fact it's a nice change to people who are veterans of numerous air combat games. You can't get this anywhere else. There is no argument against it, this game doesn't try to be realistic, it doesn't try to copy the standard dogfighting system of every other game ever made, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've had some decent hours dogfighting with friendlies and enemies alike on the test server now, and this might come as a disappointment to you but nothing has really changed. The style of dogfighting is exactly the same. People who try to out-turn something that can make itself completely stationary still die without landing a shot. There is no change in the correct dogfighting strategy between live and test. No paradigm shift.

Have a look at these videos of ESF flight on the pts. Strangely enough ESF still fly like ESF:
    • Up x 4
  17. Messaiga

All I saw in that video, was a Scythe using Terrain to it's advantage to go into the Warpgate for immunity from the Mossies. Running to the Warpgate does not show skill, it shows your ability to use a game mechanic in order to gain immunity from enemies for a period of time. The reverse manuever is a vital part of flight in this game, since it gives you 2 options. You can turn around and fight or can run for survival. I don't really want to see dogfighting the way it is in Battlefield, in fact, that is one of the reasons I enjoy flying in this game, because it is different and completely unique.
    • Up x 2
  18. Taiga

i never said that planetside was trying to be realistic, i simply said that esf's shouldn't be able to reverse maneuver so fast. they are nerfing it in the same way they nerfed magriders. it's possible to give a vehicle TOO much maneuverability.

the fact that reverse maneuvers are so strong right now means that flanking an ESF gives practically no reward. i do all sorts of hard work to sneak behind enemy lines in a loud ESF and try to sneak up on another one for some good damage, but thats practically unrewarded when somebody can just turn their plane around and fly BACKWARDS.

This change is very much appreciated. there is no ammount of "skill" lost for pilots with this change. the "skill" it takes to counter attack other pilots will now be moved into "skill" at stopping pilots from getting behind you in the first place. stop whining and start becoming more situationally aware.

also, while it may LOOK like dogfighting hasn't changed, the speeds at which aircraft are hovering around each other has been reduced quite dramatically, so while you are correct that the same maneuvers are being made, and the same style is being used, the effectiveness of said maneuvers is reduced.
  19. Taiga

GREEN- hello? is your brain home? does it not take a great amount of skill to kite 3 mossies all the way in the middle of the continent all the way back to warpgate?

RED- yet again, another statement that shows that he is a SKILLED pilot. you really need to stop contradicting yourself.

YELLOW- no, it's not. it's a stupid maneuver that lets you be dumb enough to get flanked and survive.

PINK- even with the reverse nerf, dogfighting in this game will continue to be completely unique and rewarding. its not like reverse maneuvers are being completely removed from the game like most of you idiots are making it out to be, its just being made less effective.

20. Pixelshader

Dude, if you snuck up on someone then failed to kill them you essentially got humiliated. The reverse doesn't stop you eating half a mag. Even worse if you caught them in forward flight and they transitioned to hover without first taking cover, which presents such a good target as to be suicide.
    • Up x 1