Please Remove Icons In Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ent|ty

First of all, icons are for noobies.

Second of all, when I spot something before shooting at it, the game tells me what it is.

Third of all, I have my eyesight, and my brain recognizes the shape of a tank, a Sunderer, a Mossie vs Reaver vs Scythe, etc.

Today I was amazed to see that even Scythes on my own team were marked for me as well.

How nice of you.

However, I don't need this, so either remove them, or code a menu item into the UI to remove them for advanced players.

Also, the icons block the LOS or even shape of the target, especially ESFs.

When I'm AAing ESFs, part of my strategy is waiting for them to do something,or turn, or commit to an action before I open fire, and by then it's too late.

However, the icons are actually covering the plane with their huge icon size, and I cant even see if the ESF is pointing towards me, or away or to which side.

Your sincerely, experienced gamers everywhere.
    • Up x 20
  2. joe smo

Indeed it can get annoying and obscure your target.
    So take a page from World of Tanks, Allow Icons to be toggled between modes, one mode has everything. The other only the IFF triangle is left, or even nothing if desired?
  3. CHDT65

Best solution would be to have only the triangle on friendly guys or vehicules and NOTHING on enemy guys or vehicules.
    That means that camouflages would be worth of it.
    Of course, the "counter-strikerz" would hate it.
  4. gualty

We just need an option to do that.
    Who likes icons should keep them, who does not should have the chance to do without them.
    • Up x 8
  5. sindz

"You must buy an implant every 20min to be able to remove noob COD-like icons"
  6. DFDelta

I'd like to quote myself here:

7. huller

yup, give us the option to turn it off, same with the IFF indicator they introduced, messes up my hipfire tremendously.
  8. Giggily

I'm pretty sure this was just SOE's attempt at nerfing the Lancer.
    • Up x 2
  9. Osskscosco

If you guys are so pro then how can't you hit something through a marker while other people can? lol
    • Up x 1
  10. KAHR-Alpha

They've said many times they don't want cosmetics to give people an edge in combat.
  11. KenDelta

As an experienced gamer , thats totally selfish. You see SOE isn't trying to make a game for experienced or hardcore gamers(hence the nerfs every 2 patches) They're trying to make a game that fits for newbies@fps and MLGPROs.
  12. ScottishRoss

It'd be cool if you could turn them on and off. But for me, a squad leader, these icons are extremely useful.
  13. ent|ty

I dont want to derail my own topic, but please. CS (1.3) and preSource had no achievements, no spotting, no icons, no rewards, no points, no ranks, no perks, no camo, no cosmetics and no reputation or respect other than that given by their friends and foe in the gaming community.
    This is why your response is inaccurate. But if we are going to argue about that, i wont respond.

I can. It just obscures the target unnecessarily.
    Now I shoot at a big icon, and not at the actual vehicle, because I can't see it at the ranges I may begin shooting at them.
    When you're using dumbfire like I do a lot, its nice to know which way that tank is facing, the most damage is to the rear. And yes, I dumbfire and lead at distances where the icon is actually a problem.

Anyways, whether someone is a pro or not is irrelevant to the issue; a good UI favours the newbie and the pro with options.

This kind of thing is very simple to program in, as well as a simply color picker and alpha for crosshairs. SOE is just lazy.
  14. Halo572

There should be no Doritos on anything you can't see directly. Console A/B/C is valid to help you get bearings in bases.

Why can I see where my team mates are through a hill?

Shouldn't be any icons on vehicles of your own team at all, if you can't spot it then it is a friendly. If you fire at it and get a red cross, it is your team, stop firing.

Should only be Doritos on a player you mouse over if it is a friendly and it then displays the name as well.

Rarely seen such a cluttered confusing HUD in any game, but isn't this BF3?

I haven't got it installed and only played 25 hours over 18 months ago, but I seem to remember it is cluttered as well.

Option to turn off is vital if you want to cater to all skill levels.
  15. DeathTollDavid

How about instead you make the suggestion that we be given the option to remove them ourselves if we dont want them. (I for one do not want them).

You certainly do not speak for all 2,000 people on a server.

Also if you read the road map they are working on giving the player more user options for the UI and the mini map.
  16. axiom537

I would like an option to remove them as well. They are ridicules and they actually make it more difficult to see my target.
    • Up x 1
  17. Caserion

I once thought an enemy was a friendly Prowler because the icon was covering his face...

I still don't know why i believed what my brain said to me: ''oh, a footsoldier with a friendly prowler sign above him, he's friendly and definatly not blue and evil''
  18. PWGuy93

I love the new GU13 icons.
    If anything, an option to hide them for those that dislike them, but keep em for us folks that do enjoy their added information.
  19. ent|ty

If you are addressing me, that is just the title of the topic, but if you read my OP fully, you'd have noticed that I called for the OPTION to remove them for experienced players.
  20. ent|ty

Doesn't seem like many people care about this issue. I guess we're stuck with these huge ugly things. Oh well, just another reason to.. you know.